FFS, Iowa Grants Weapons Licences To The Handicapped. Wait For It...

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by TripTo My Taint, Sep 8, 2013.

1. TripTo My Taint

TripTo My Taint Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    INCLUDING THE BLIND!

:facepalm: Licenses...I know.

In what might seem to be an alarming development in the gun control debate, officials in Iowa say they have been granting weapons permits to blind people.

According to the Des Moines Register, the Polk County Sheriff's Office says it has issued permits to at least three people who "can’t legally drive and were unable to read the application forms or had difficulty doing so because of visual impairments." And officials in at least three other counties say they have granted permits to visually impaired residents because state law forbids sheriffs from denying the right to carry a weapon based on a physical disability.

“It seems a little strange, but the way the law reads, we can’t deny them (a permit),” Sgt. Jana Abens, a spokeswoman for the Polk County sheriff’s office, told the newspaper.

Just exactly how many blind Iowans have permits to carry guns is unclear. State officials say they do not collect that information when the permits are issued.

But the visually-impaired people who are given permits say they are perfectly capable of handling their weapons.

"When you shoot a gun, you take it out and point and shoot, and I don't necessarily think eyesight is necessary," Michael Barber, who is blind, told the paper.

Some lawmakers, though, do.

“I’m not an expert in vision,” Delaware Sheriff John LeClere said. “[But] at what point do vision problems have a detrimental effect to fire a firearm? If you see nothing but a blurry mass in front of you, then I would say you probably shouldn’t be shooting something.”

Federal laws do not prohibit blind people from owning guns, but some states have laws that restrict visually impaired from obtaining weapons permits. Not Iowa.

http://news.yahoo.com/iowa-grants-gun-permits-to-the-blind-174507640.html

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  2. Real

Real Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I------OOOOOOO-------------WUT

:cheer:

3. Swayze

Swayze Guest

Reputations:
    :jj:

Link to america embarrassment thread pls

4. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    "When you shoot a gun, you take it out and point and shoot, and I don't necessarily think eyesight is necessary," Michael Barber, who is blind, told the paper.

5. Capn Crud

Capn Crud The Pride of Cucamonga VIP Gold

Reputations:
    These states are trying to out-teabag each other. A competition to the bottom.

6. Swayze

Swayze Guest

Reputations:
    How much dough did this two bit sheriff get from the nra?

7. Swayze

Swayze Guest

Reputations:
    Cars kill people too ya know