Filling The Second Chair

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by Peau de Soie, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    As we've discussed a few times, semi-permanent new co-host Ritchie is bland and inoffensive (and yet without the department store mannequin demeanor of the unlamented Stover) but Artie really could use some life by his side. I still think comedians are the answer.

In a brief moment of weakness and boredom today I strayed over to the dead Stern forum via the What's New link and found this quote:

Artie still has this opportunity to use his own new second chair as something interesting, if not "great". The guest comics so far may not have been laugh riots, but they're still better than the alternatives. And sooner or later he'd probably find someone worthy of keeping around. (The only thing stopping this plan is the insane clinging to the idea that it's a sports show.)

Your thoughts? (And maybe this IS what he's been doing without saying so?)

2. aaron9762001

aaron9762001 New Member

Reputations:
    Couldn't agree more.

I was really hoping that there'd be someone other than Ritchie or Stover when they got back from vacation, but I think it's a very bad sign that Ritchie is back yet again. He has been hired or is, as you put it, about to be hired as the semi-permanent host.

I watched the show last night (the first hour), and Ritchie said less than everyone who was on camera with the exception of Shane. I'm so confused by this move, unless it's just all about him coming cheap. Unfortunately, as talented as Artie is, I think this is a crucial hire, and they need someone who brings something to the table. Ritchie seems like a nice enough guy, but he's just there...doing nothing and adding nothing.

3. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    I'm only half way through listening but the only thing I've heard from him is a grunt when Artie made fun of him for asking if he were going to be "standing up tonight" at a comedy gig. And yet I'm perfectly happy with that level of involvement from this particular person. :)

That said, if he were working for a living you'd think he'd at least try to ask a question or offer an opinion during an interview with a rather generic female comedian.

4. aaron9762001

aaron9762001 New Member

Reputations:
    Exactly.

Which begs the question, "What does management see in him?"

5. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Finger on the button?

[​IMG]

6. Undercarriage

Undercarriage Active Member

Reputations:
    My favorite moments from the show are when Artie is just killing Bocchetti, Dan, and the twins. I think Ritchie takes his licks very well. Obv he has his limitations but he has a good sense of humor. Mr. Professional Stover takes himself way too seriously to ever be shit on like this.

It doesn't have to just be one person co-hosting at a time. Maybe they could find some real magic trying new things. Everyone knows Artie is capable of a great show. SPending the time and money to build him a good supporting cast would make it so much easier on Artie. I think Ritchie could be one of these but not as co-host by himself. I'm willing to wait it out and I hope DTV is too.

It seems they're so determined to stay with this format. I doubt very few people are tuning in for Artie's take on sports. And these guests and music acts blow. Just move the pool table to the Guitar Center sound stage. The crappy live look-ins are a big upgrade to these bands.

7. Gogol Boobdello

Gogol Boobdello Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    maybe Ritchie was hired because if ever questioned , he would say " drugs?? , i never saw anything that made me think Artie was on, doing or purchasing any type of drugs" ???

but i do think he does an ok job. thought he was better in the beginning and when the topic go towards a history of comedy or movies, he really has nothing to add . and i thought he would never last with Artie mainly because not washing his hair would skeeve out Artie too much.

the rotating chair did seem to lead to an assortment of guests at times.

8. aaron9762001

aaron9762001 New Member

Reputations:

That's the thing. Artie is so good, or as you put it "so capable," that I worry hiring someone as blah as Ritchie could waste that talent, because I worry this hire is critical to the future of the show, and in turn, the future of Artie. Beyond confused by it.

9. Rawdog

Rawdog Member

Reputations:
    i quit the show a few weeks back but last night i had insomnia so i watched. I just cant get on board with ritchie. dude is just way too lame for me

10. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Everytime Ritchie opens his mouth, the show comes to a screeching halt for me. He just sounds so dopey, like it's a struggle for him to get a thought out. Maybe it's brain damage? :dontknow:

Stover is too Seacresty, but I still liked him better than John. I think I liked Ben Lyons the best out of anybody...

11. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    I've said this a few times before, but I'll stick with it: Norm MacDonald would be the absolute, hands down, no. 1 co-host. Problem is, Norm isn't leaving the west coast anytime soon. Here are my other choices.
    2: Sid Rosenberg - Funny, far worse drug addict than Artie and knows his sports (plus has dirt on Imus and Howard).
    3: Jackie Martling - Would destroy any sports credibility, but who cares?
    4: Jim Florentine - Already in Jersey, loved his chemistry with Artie on Stern and he has an insane knowledge of obscure 1980's wrestling references.
    5: KC Armstrong - Goddamn, I miss KC.

I don't hate Ritchie as much as others on here, though, he's above Stover in my book.

12. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Huh? That is a curiously sore thumb on your otherwise quite reasonable list. :)

13. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    I have to say, I thought it was a NOICE choice.:dontknow: Plus, it would piss off Howard almost as much as hiring Jackie.

14. Gogol Boobdello

Gogol Boobdello Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i like those choices. I would add
    [​IMG]

comedian, co-host, he was great on the show last yr and did a Mike Boschetti impersonation.

15. aaron9762001

aaron9762001 New Member

Reputations:

Love the Norm idea, but yeah, like you said, it's not happening. Plus, if they had the money to bring in someone like Norm, they wouldn't be hiring someone like Ritchie. Jackie would be incredible. Money may not be as big of a factor there.

I thought the best substitute host they had in was the guy that Artie kept calling Colin Kaepernick (Tim McKernan), but he was there on one of the nights Artie was passing out on the set. I like Lyons as well. Other than that, I haven't seen a guest host fill in that brought much to the table.

16. Undercarriage

Reputations:
    I'd be over the moon if I got to see the Sid and Artie Show. He's by far my #1 choice. I just can't imagine putting them together would not produce a great show. Sure either could blow up any minute but what a ride it would be. I got so excited when Artie was in New Orleans and Sid sent him a message on twitter saying he can't wait to see him that night. Guess they were just hanging out cause he wasn't on the show.

It just doesn't look like they're trying to spend the type of money it would cost to get Sid or someone of his caliber.

17. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    They will have the money, as soon as Rick's contract term runs out... if the show and Art make it that long. Meanwhile there are so many cheap comedians they should be taking advantage. Panel those suckers every day and see what sticks.

18. Undercarriage

Reputations:
    I thought they would have done the "open tryouts for right field" approach four months ago but it seems like a much smaller search than it should be

19. aaron9762001

aaron9762001 New Member

Reputations:

Unfortunately, it looks like the search has come to a conclusion, and Ritchie is the guy. So confused by that.

20. Brew

Brew Member

Reputations:
    I like the choice of Ritchie as a semi-permanent co-host.

He has good sense of humor, isn't stiff like Stover, seems knowledgeable about most sports, is a great sounding board for Artie by cracking up when he's riffing (which I think is very important for the energy and momentum of the show), he's a good guy and doesn't mind getting his balls busted (unlike Stover who gets visibly uncomfortable), knows how to sit back and let Artie carry the show, but can add things also, and most importantly -- having him as a regular co-host means that Stover isn't getting the job. I think having other comedians be the co-host sounds like a great idea, but in practice I don't think it works most of the time -- battling comedian egos can create bad radio (case in point: Nick DiPaolo). Also, Jackie would be terrible. He's old, not that funny on the air, has an enormous ego, is bad at telling stories, is old, his voice sounds like nails on a chalkboard, and did I mention...he's old?