News Finally, losing our religion

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Long overdue...

Religion is dying out in America: Just 18% of people 60 and younger attend church and less than 50% believe in God

Around the world, people are beginning to turn their backs on religion.
    For some time, researchers have observed this trend as it ripples through developed countries, with the United States standing out as the exception.
    Now, a new study reveals this is no longer the case; with each passing generation, Americans too are steadily becoming less religious.
    [​IMG]
    +2
    For some time, researchers have observed this trend as it ripples through developed countries, with the United States standing out as the exception. Now, a new study reveals this is no longer the case; with each passing generation, Americans too are steadily becoming less religious
    WHAT THE STUDY FOUND
    Research from Duke University and University College London (UCL) reveals that the number of people in the US who claim religious affiliations or attend Church has dropped.
    And, the belief in God is dropping as well.
    Among the data, the researchers found that while 94 percent of Americans born before 1935 claim a religious affiliation, the same is only true for 71 percent of the generation born after 1975.
    The study also revealed that just 45 percent of young adults ages 18-30 say they have 'no doubt God exists,' while 68 percent of Americans 65 and older said the same.
    They also found that 41 percent of people 70 and older attend church services at least once a month, while just 18 percent of people 60 and younger say this.
    As religious belief declines in much of the Western world, it's largely been thought that the United States had resisted the trend.
    Research from Duke University and University College London (UCL) challenges this idea, revealing that the number of people in the US who claim religious affiliations or attend Church has dropped.
    And, the belief in God is dropping as well.
    The study published in the American Journal of Sociology examined US data from the General Social Survey, which is conducted every two years.
    Comparisons with data from Great Britain, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand revealed an overall drop in religious belief over time.
    In the United States, this drop has been very gradual, making it difficult for scientists to detect due to lack of data.
    The decline, they found, has occurred generationally.

'None of these declines is happening fast, but the signs are now unmistakable,' said David Voas, a social scientist with UCL and co-author of the study.
    'It has become clear that American religiosity has been declining for decades, and the decline is driven by the same dynamic – generational differences – that has driven religious decline across the developed world.'
    [​IMG]
    +2
    The number of people in the US who claim religious affiliations or attend Church have dropped. And, the belief in God is dropping as well. The decline, they found, has occurred generationally. The researchers say the data remains consistent over time, reflecting the trend seen elsewhere in the world
    Researchers found each generation is subsequently less religious than the one before.
    In one example, the team found that 41 percent of people aged 70 and older reported they attend church services at least once a month.
    For people just under that age bracket, 60 and younger, only 18 percent attend church at this frequency.
    And, just 45 percent of people ages 18-30 reported they have 'no doubt God exists,' compared with 68 percent of those 65 and older who said the same.
    'The US has long been considered an exception to the modern claim that religion is declining,' said Mark Chaves, the study’s other co-author, and a professor of sociology, divinity, and religion at Duke.
    'But if you look at the trajectory, and the generational dynamic that is producing the trajectory, we may not be an exception after all.'
    The researchers say the data remains consistent over time, reflecting the trend seen elsewhere in the world.
    'If you break it down over five-year chunks,' Chaves said, 'each age group is a little less religious than the one before it.'

2. a mysterious man

a mysterious man Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'll just go ahead and leave this here:

F Timmy, Missypooh RN, LaserT and 5 others like this.
  3. Mugsy

Mugsy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I like religious people 10x more than I do these militant atheist hipsters we now have...

4. Buffalo Balls

Buffalo Balls Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What about the non-militant atheists? You know, the majority of them.

5. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    Anyone that pushes their beliefs, or lack of, is annoying.

6. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
  7. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Why can't both extremes be assholes

Oh wait they are

8. Dick Fitzwell

Dick Fitzwell Opinions are like assholes ... and so am I

Reputations:
    What about the religion of peace????

9. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I would like to think that means we're getting smarter. :lookatme:

10. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    This will be good for government expansion, refugees, and muslims. For God fearing American taxpaying citizens, not so much.

11. floplop

floplop Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The most religious people are the poorest and uneducated masses of society ... not a coincidence.

12. Johnnykstaint

Johnnykstaint VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Cant happen fast enough.

13. God

God Well-Known Member

Reputations:

You should be banned for posting an REM song.

Hankjones, Fa Fa Fruit Fly and KDK12 like this.
  14. ravenrules

ravenrules Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm agnostic. But most atheists I know are pretty militant. One guy even carries a bible around in his car just in case he's around Christians so he can point out inaccuracies and contradictions to try and "convert" them.

SternsEgo, basto, Zyro and 4 others like this.
  15. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Now compare America to 50 years ago!

babybear and CrucifiedAGT like this.
  16. ZosoHitler

ZosoHitler VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
  17. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

18. Buffalo Balls

Buffalo Balls Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I know plenty of atheists myself, and not one of them is "militant" or carries a bible around with them to point things out to others. That actually sounds pretty bizarre, bordering on bullshit. I think the vast majority of atheists just don't care enough to be militant. They are simply atheists by definition. Meaning, they're without belief in a god or gods.

19. Turtle Man

Turtle Man Hello Darling Gold

Reputations:
    Business will be good for satan

20. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This.

I am an atheist and I don't give a fuck if a courthouse has a statue of the 10 Commandments in front. What exactly is wrong with something saying "Thou shall not kill", or steal or jerk off in the holy water? Militant atheist and just as big a dicks as Bible thumpers. I see no difference. Live your life and mind your own business. I don't believe in God, but if it gives people who do comfort then I don't see the problem.

DABA, SternsEgo, Rakdar and 12 others like this.