Discussion in 'The Bar' started by GSD, Oct 19, 2011.
Wausau firefighters on Tuesday relied on rescue efforts typically used for humans to save a dog that had become trapped during a house fire.
The fire was reported at about 4 p.m. Tuesday on the second floor of a home on the corner of South Sixth Avenue and Callon Street in Wausau.
Dwight Borchardt, 17, said he had taken the family's 1-year-old border collie mix, Cooper, outside, and when he returned inside, Borchardt saw smoke throughout the second story. Borchardt lives in the home with his father, Todd Borchardt, and Kim Carlson, Todd Borchardt's fiancee.
Dwight Borchardt said he opened doors on the second floor in an effort to find the family's 7-year-old yellow Labrador retriever, Coda, and the family's two cats, Lavender and Mocha. Heavy smoke forced him out of the home.
When firefighters arrived, they found Coda in a room where they believe the fire started, firefighter Jamie Giese said. The dog -- likely in shock -- was sitting in a rocking chair.
Coda was carried outside, and firefighters began to perform mouth-to-nose artificial respiration and placed an oxygen mask typically meant for humans over the dog's nose. They also poured water on Coda's fur to wash away soot from the smoke.
Giese and firefighter Jared Thompson both said they have no formal training in animal rescue.
"It was all improvised," Giese said.
Well, not quite: Thompson said he remembered a few tips from the former reality television show "Rescue 911."
Coda was taken to VCA Companion Care Animal Hospital in Wausau, and later transported to an animal hospital in Mosinee for an overnight stay to recuperate, Todd Borchardt said Tuesday night.
The Borchardts four days earlier had agreed to care for Coda, who had been living with a family friend.
"He's just a sweetheart," Dwight Borchardt said. "He's been following me around for two days straight."
Lavender and Mocha scurried to the basement when the fire started and later were found unharmed.
The Borchardts and Carlson could not stay in the home Tuesday night because of the damage, although Todd Borchardt said he did not know the full extent. The fire appeared to be electrical in origin, Wausau Fire Battalion Chief Mark Krueger said Tuesday night. Krueger said damage from the fire was "pretty significant."
The American Red Cross provided the three with a hotel voucher for the night, and Todd Borchardt said he has family with whom the three can stay if the damage keeps them away for an extended period of time.
Dawg will "sticky" this thread.
I've got one for you too
firefighters are the last group of people i still respect
They're out there to protect and serve
And not on some ego-maniacal power trip like cops
Although I was wondering if a muslim firefighter would have done the same for the dog
We save more pets than you can imagine! Winter brings a shit load of dogs falling through the ice...that sucks!
If this guy would do it for a pet, imagine what he would do for your family.
He would probably vomit in yer blue mouth from the shit breath if he had to give you CPR.
Ok, I will give you my last attempt.. Nah, I don't have it in me tonight. I lost my fight.
You are like 0-48 against me. Lulz.
yeah. you win. congrats.