First Look at Howard Stern/iTunes Enterprise "Metal Mania"

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Benjamen, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamen

Benjamen Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    NEW YORK – September, 2013 – Quickly following his iTunes announcement made earlier this month, Howard Stern this week shared an exclusive first look at the inaugural enterprise to emerge between the biggest music vendor in the United States and the King of All Media: "Metal Mania."

[​IMG]

"I love that iTunes," Stern abruptly interjected into an early Monday morning conversation about the series finale of Breaking Bad. "Do you have the iTunes?" he asked sidekick Robin Quivers, who listens to the live shows from her home in New Jersey.

The Apple stockholder makes it a point to praise Apple products during each show -- in fact Stern mentioned his lust for the new iPhone in all nine of his live broadcasts in the month of September. But he is especially interested in the creative potential of iTunes.

"I like the idea that you can make a playlist, so I started building a list called 'Metal Mania,'" Stern revealed. He shared a screen grab of this new playlist with his grateful Twitter followers.

[​IMG]

Stern, who started out in commercial radio as a program director, features just four bands in his playlist, and made the unusual choice to include the same song -- Led Zeppelin's "The Ocean" -- three times within the first 18 tracks.

"Howard is an entertainment force of unprecedented recognition and popularity in the satellite radio and television talent show worlds, who is capable of changing the face of digital music," Stern's agent Don Buchwald said in a press release. "If each of his extremely loyal Twitter followers bought just one song from "Metal Mania," it would account for more than a million dollars in sales for iTunes."

[​IMG]
    Above: Music lover Howard Stern carefully screens songs to include in "Metal Mania."

Leslie West, who was the band leader in a series of late night pilot shows Stern taped for Fox in 1987, posted on his website his reaction to seeing the entire best-of collection by his band Mountain included in "Metal Mania." "I'm sure I speak for Led Zeppelin, Metallica and Nine Inch Nails when I say that Howard Stern is an incredible creative and comedic icon, and we are humbled and honored to be included in this exclusive playlist."

Listeners of Stern's Sirius/XM Monday-Wednesday morning radio show are already speculating that one of the most successful rock bands of all time may be the next to be included in "Metal Mania." "I spent all day listening to the Rolling Stones," Stern said on Monday. "I was messing around with the buttons, and I hit a button and played the same song over and over again." Stern believed he was listening to a rare, extended live version of "Let It Loose," a song he cites as one of the top two in the Rolling Stones catalog. But after about 25 minutes, however, the King of All Media realized that it was merely the same song accidentally set to replay.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    SalsMasterShake and Stag like this.
  2. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    Goddammit! You got me again.

3. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
  4. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Da fuq?

5. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:
    Even his thumbs up looks gay and faggot.

6. Wigward Hairhat

Wigward Hairhat Active Member

Reputations:
    I think that's the most "Ray-like" pix of the Wig that I've seen to date. Clearly he inherited his mom's face and his dad's hair.

Captain likes this.
  7. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    fucking dork. i remember the bit from way back, when howard said that program directors are useless and that a monkey could do their job. so they brought in the monkey. the monkey chose 3 random standards and the program director chose 3 live springsteen songs. he had some boring explanation about an anniversary of a concert and blah, blah, blah. howard, rightly, said they were stupid choices and exactly what makes people change channels.

now we have howard choosing the same song 3 times in a playlist. not to mention that he only has 4 bands in a playlist of 37 songs. and mountain sucks. it looks like itunes is going to be howard's next bitch.

8. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    goddammit. guess i shoulda read more than just the playlist before posting. :facepalm:

9. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    He looks like he's waiting to spit out ralph's batch in the second pic.

10. Bethstampon

Bethstampon Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Had the same thought in another thread...he is swishing it around like a fine wine.

The OCD is SO strong in this...it is like he is in a Hell of his own design for decades of Booey Chomper bashing. Buffoon

11. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    At first I was all "what da fuq...."

Then I was all like "Ohh no you didnttt!"

12. Atomic Wedgie

Atomic Wedgie Crash Victim

Reputations:
    Don Bucwald sure can lay on the bullshit.

13. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Mountain = metal

14. Bye You!

Reputations:

he got me good. i was shaking my head going "WHA?????"

15. TehLivingDeath

Reputations:
    I'm still not getting it, goddamn it.

16. Benjamen

Benjamen Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've just been taking the King of All Media's breaking announcements about discovering iTunes (in the year 2013 -- ten years into their reign as the most successful music seller in the world), and writing them up as though they're important, industry-shaking news. (It started with this one: "Howard Stern Signs Agreement with iTunes Store.") The quotes in these write-ups are all factual, aside from Buchwald's (and in this case, Leslie West's). But the Buchwald quotes are based on things he's said, or that have shown up in other Stern-related press releases. It's just something I've done out of frustration from hearing this 60-year-old talk about Apple products like he's some kind of digital pioneer. And they're also a jab at his wanting to hype up everything he's associated with, as though he's really important.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  17. Bye You!

Reputations:
    brilliant, as always.

two lines in particular stand out, though:

Robin Quivers, who listens to the live shows from her home in New Jersey.

and made the unusual choice to include the same song -- Led Zeppelin's "The Ocean" -- three times within the first 18 tracks.

in fact Stern mentioned his lust for the new iPhone in all nine of his live broadcasts in the month of September.

ok, three... :backlol:

18. cygnus2112

cygnus2112 In The Prep Room

Reputations:
    Led zeppelin is not metal. Sorry. And neither is mountain. And anything of the black album is hard rock. Not metal. Sorry if I offend anyone but yeah, thats my 2 cents.

19. TehLivingDeath

Reputations:
    Anyone else go searching Google for the source of this article?

20. RobinsBedSores

RobinsBedSores VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Howard is such a douche. Metallica is death metal, Mountain is blues rock, NIN is techno and Led Zeppelin is prog rock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.