First Tesla battery swap station opens next week

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by RenchFries, Dec 20, 2014.

1. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    Replace all gas stations with these things, and it'll be the end of driving on fossil fuels. Pretty bad-ass in its simplicity.

[​IMG][/URL]

Tesla's automated battery swap stations that boost cars with a fully charged power pack instead of a slow charge are finally becoming a reality. First shown off over a year ago, the company announced today that it's ready to start a pilot program for invited Model S owners along the San Francisco to LA route, at a facility across the street from its Supercharger station in Harris Ranch, CA. Right now Tesla says the whole process can be done in under three minutes, but with changes to the vehicle design, it says cars could be ready to go in less than a minute (a video of the process being done in 90 seconds is embedded after the break). While charging the company's flagship EV on its Supercharger network is free, for now the by-appointment-only swaps are promised to cost "slightly less than a tank of gas." When they were introduced, the suggestion was a $60 - $80 price range, but even with the price of gas falling, that may have changed too. The point of the pilot program? To figure out if the demand for battery swaps that cost money vs free charging is high enough for the idea (and the $500,000 facilities that make it work) to make sense.

[AFP/Getty Images]

Fast Pack Swap Event from Tesla Motors on Vimeo.

Avalon and Lou Loomis like this.
  2. Ridic

Ridic Too ridic to quit Banned User

Reputations:
    Musk is a genius and true revolutionary.

Avalon likes this.
  3. babybear

babybear r.i.p 8/3/15, Wherewolf of AZ VIP

Reputations:
    0-45 in 1.9 seconds.

4. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    it would be nice to see the end of oil

not because i'm some hippy fuck

because the day we no longer as a planet depend on middle east oil is the day we can tell those cavemen to go fuck themselves

but are you really spending that much time in your life filling your gas tank?
    seems like an odd selling point for the electric car

RenchFries likes this.
  5. squigglyline

squigglyline Double Secret Probation Gold

Reputations:
    I'm not saying anything here that hasn't already been said - Tesla's design department is amazing. The cars they design are aesthetically great to look at and I assume functionally great as well. I rent from Hertz weekly and I think they're starting to rent them in limited locations. I'm going to look into it...

Avalon likes this.
  6. Capn Crud

Capn Crud The Pride of Cucamonga VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I saw 10 or so of them at Hertz in LA the last time I was there.

squigglyline likes this.
  7. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    Just to throw a wet blanket on things, fossil fuel is involved in the battery manufacturing. The factory is powered by commercial power. I have no doubt that there is a lot of plastic in the battery, which is a fossil fuel product. More importantly, the energy isn't free. The electricity to run the car has to come from somewhere and most electricity is generated through fossil fuel sources.

Even though they have used some unbelievable technology on their batteries, they are not state of the art batteries. Just my opinion, they are the type of batteries that develop memory and are less efficient as they age. I don't know if there is anything out there long term on the batteries or not.

That doesn't take anything away from the cool factor though. Just don't think you are all green and such if you have one.

I invented that likes this.
  8. RenchFries

Reputations:
    They kinda look like the current Jaguar line-up. Cool-looking cars. I like the LCD dashboard, and the enormous touch-screen in the middle, too. It's very sci-fi.

[​IMG]

Of course. Manufacturing these batteries is a dirty process. So is creating the car itself. I like these cars mostly for their futuristic-ness. They're cooler than the ones from science fiction movies twenty years ago, and they accelerate faster than Porsches and Ferraris. I'm no goddamn, stinkin' hippie.

As far as these batteries go, it's pretty cutting-edge in that department. They're the most high-tech stuff you can get that's not still in the experimental phase. Every battery out there still degrades over time, that's just something we haven't figured out yet. They do give an 8-year warranty on the batteries, so that's pretty damn good, I'd say.

I can't wait for these kind of cars to go truly mainstream. I live in a city, and I hate the air that I'm breathing there. It literally tastes like gasoline. Ever since I moved here, I my allergies have worsened significantly. It's just bad for you to breathe exhaust fumes. It would be nice to move that problem to an industrial location where the air quality is fucked, anyway, and a power plant is a lot more efficient at creating usable energy than burning gas. Internal combustion engines are ridiculously inefficient. Over 80% of the fuel you burn in your car gets transferred into heat instead of usable power. That's a huge waste.

And eventually, as there's still continuous development in the winning of electricity, the pollution problem can be eliminated almost completely. Hook up one of these charging stations to a hydro, solar, or wind-power plant, and it will be green. They're also still working on nuclear fusion. Who knows what that will lead to.

Avalon likes this.
  9. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    I completely agree that it is a totally cool car. To go that fast and have the wind noise be the loudest thing. I don't hold out a lot of hope for batteries. I hope they can develop hydrogen fuel cells.

Avalon likes this.
  10. RenchFries

Reputations:
    We haven't seen the end of the battle for the energy source of future cars. Tesla put its money on Lithium-ion battery packs.

Toyota and Honda are working on cars running on Hydrogen. So is BMW, they had a working 7-series that ran like a normal car on it. The problem with hydrogen is that it's very volatile and you need to work with fuel cells.

The future will show us what's ultimately gonna happen. The time we're living in is exciting, my friend.

Avalon likes this.
  11. Ridic

Reputations:
    No, but when you cut needing a few hours to recharge down to a few minutes it makes the purchase of a solely electric car much more practical.

12. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    No doubt

13. Ridic

Reputations:
    I have driven both the Roadster and Model S quite a few times. I am in awe every time when hitting the accelerator and taking off with no more sound than a golf cart.

RenchFries likes this.
  14. Phan Neepack

Phan Neepack Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Does anyone recall how we generate electricity in this country???

In 2013, energy sources and percent share of total electricity generation were

• Coal 39%
    • Natural Gas 27%
    • Nuclear 19%
    • Hydropower 7%
    • Other Renewable 6%
      • Biomass 1.48%
      • Geothermal 0.41%
      • Solar 0.23%
      • Wind 4.13%
    • Petroleum 1%
    • Other Gases < 1%

15. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    Interesting.

I have been for years having coffee with my Pops stating that IMHO, in order for Electric vehicles to succeed, people need to have an assurance that the batteries will last. I felt that consumers should only be responsible for purchasing the vehicle, and that the batteries would be exchanged at gas stations, so you never actually owned the battery. You'd buy one, use it up, go to the battery (gas) station, and pay to exchange batteries for a small nominal fee that would be used to pay someone to change the battery out.

This way the consumer has the assurance that they aren't going to get stuck with a battery that will just die on them in the future that would need to be replaced.

Thanks for the article.

RenchFries likes this.
  16. RenchFries

Reputations:
    As stated in my previous post, even the worst one of those, coal, is still more efficient than gasoline. Natural gas and nuclear are very clean, and hydro-power and the other renewables are great as well.

That, and it won't be stinking up our cities anymore. The air in big cities is disgusting.

:thumbup: