Fleet Week - San Francisco

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by sfgirl, Oct 12, 2010.

1. sfgirl

sfgirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I go every year to watch the Patriots and the Blue Angels. Grab a sandwich from the Deli, grab your backpack, walk down the waterfront to Acquatic Park and have a seat right by the Maritime Museum.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bill

bill Goofballa from Ding Dong U VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Sounds like a great day and good weather. Do you live downtown?

3. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    you know i've got some awesome video from previous years when they do a low pass flyover directly through downtown

it's so fucking loud the camera sounds goes out when it's at its max.

my favorite part is when the aircraft carrier comes in under the GGB & the jets take off and then fly back over the top of the bridge and do a fast landing before they get to alcatraz

i've got some fantastic video of that right on the end of the pier that runs off the end of van ness

4. sfgirl

sfgirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Don't live downtown but just a BART ride away. GSD, I'd like to see your video. Can you share here? Or maybe send to me? I saw just once when the ship came in under the bridge. Don't they come in early in the morning like 4am?

5. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    I think I have it in storage. When I find it I will convert it and post it online. I'll post the links here.

A few days before the ships come under the bridge the jets do I very low flyover downtown when they're practicing. I haven't caught it visually or on tape but I think they use their afterburners when they do this. I've seen people dive to the ground if they don't know its coming because it's so f*cking loud almost deafening, especially downtown where the buildings help trap the sound :jj:

Then on the first day the ships come in they come under the bridge around 9-10am and by noon the jets (depending on fog) will do their aerial stuff around noon but they fly at a higher altitude when they do this than during the flyovers in the day earlier

jet on afterburner
    [​IMG]

6. bill

bill Goofballa from Ding Dong U VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Here's a hot dog moving right along

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014