Florida bear attempts to eat young girl who closely resembles a breakfast sausage-link

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Phan Neepack, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Phan Neepack

Phan Neepack Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...lucky girl !!!!

[​IMG]
    PANAMA CITY-- It's the ultimate Christmas miracle for one Franklin County family.
    Leah Reeder, the teenager who survived Northwest Florida's first-ever recorded bear attack, left the hospital on Christmas Eve and is now home for the holidays.

Now, Leah and her mother speak out for the first time since the attack, saying the family wants the community to stay educated to prevent this situation from happening again

"As many times as I've said, 'These bears are dangerous,' I never really thought it would happen to any of us," Leah's mother, Sheri Mann said.

On Sunday night, the 15-year-old Sausage girl set out for a walk with her dog. A short time later, Mann looked up to find Leah stumbling through the door, the victim of a bears breakfast attack.

"I couldn't do anything to stop it, and so when it started biting me, I just felt warm, wet stuff," Leah said. "And it was my special herbs & spices."

But after three nights of intensive care, Leah is out of the hospital and back home in Eastpoint in time for Christmas. Now, Leah's family is backing the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commissioner's decision to euthanize a handful of black bears.

"I think they are dealing with it the right way," Leah said. "There's too many in that small town."

"I do think it's very sad that the Bears are being euthanized, because they could have been relocated a long time ago," Mann said. "I love animals. I love nature, but if that's the only way to get rid of them, that's what needs to get done."

According to Leah, she wouldn't be home for the holidays if it weren't for her springer spaniel, who scared the bear off after it attacked.

"She always told me to play dead, like I was laying on a plate." Leah said, of her mom. "The school people tell you to play dead. I mean, it worked, but then it started dragging me away. And like everybody's been saying, it probably would have gotten me if Ralph [her dog] hadn't been there to help me."

It turns out playing dead may have landed her in more trouble.

"If a bear was to attack, the number one thing you do is fight back with everything within your body," FWC spokesman Stan Kirkland said.

It's lead to some criticism on how the FWC, and Leah, handled the attack.

"Some people are saying, since I live where I live, I should be able to handle seeing a bear, but you shouldn't have to worry about walking your dog," she said. "It doesn't matter what time of night."

Leah understood how dangerous bears can be, but was just caught off guard. She says it's important to stay alert and know they can be vicious animals.

"I guess I was a lot more lucky because my mama taught me how to feel about bears, and my daddy raised me tough," she said.

The FWC has caught and euthanized two adult bears this week. They relocated two captured cubs to another area Thursday. No word yet on how long FWC officials plan to keep the traps up.

2. Diogenes1

Diogenes1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    arent the bears in Florida miniature like the deer?

HaroldJackson likes this.
  3. Phan Neepack

Phan Neepack Well-Known Member

Reputations:

:dontknow: I've seen my share of bears on the west coast, but none in that part of the country

4. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Shit Mult Hunter

Reputations:
    SternsEgo likes this.
  5. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Shit Mult Hunter

Reputations:
    She looks more like 250lbs. of sausage in a 100lb. sausage casing.

HaroldJackson likes this.
  6. Birddog

Birddog Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Smart bear knew that fatty would hold him over through hibernation.

HaroldJackson and Phan Neepack like this.
  7. gilaet

gilaet Xanax Service Dog Staff Member

Reputations:
    Nice shirt.
    FATASS

8. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
    "Officials just as the bear, could not wrap their head around the situation."

9. Splash

Splash Huge Member VIP

Reputations:
    "Florida bear attempts to eat young girl who closely resembles a breakfast sausage-link"

^ thats a funny thread title :jj:

10. larryluncg

larryluncg Empty VIP Gold

Reputations:
    She's a fat messy pig. Check the bookshelf out.

11. Diogenes1

Diogenes1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    the bear after it realized what a fat cholesterol-pig she was . . .

fat pig.jpg

12. Scott

Scott Masshole Staff Member

Reputations:
  13. HaroldJackson

HaroldJackson Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Great article. I laughed aloud twice I think.