For or Against? Obama's upcoming executive action on immigration (poll)

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0, Nov 19, 2014.

?

For it or against it?

1. For it

34 vote(s)
    15.1%
  2. Against it

175 vote(s)
    77.8%
  3. Not sure yet

16 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0

h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0 Xavier's water boy Banned User

Reputations:
    AP NEWS: In a broad test of his executive powers, President Barack Obama declared Wednesday he will sidestep Congress and order his own federal action on immigration — in measures that could spare from deportation as many as 5 million people illegally in the U.S. and set up one of the most pitched partisan confrontations of his presidency. Obama declared that Washington has allowed America's immigration problem "to fester for too long."

The president will use an 8 p.m. EST address Thursday to announce his measures and will sign the executive actions during a rally in Las Vegas on Friday. In doing so, Obama will be taking an aggressive stand that he had once insisted was beyond his presidential power.

As many as 5 million people in the country illegally are likely to be protected from deportation and made eligible for work permits under the plan. They would not have a path to citizenship, however, and the actions could be reversed by a new president in two years. Officials said the eligible immigrants would not be entitled to federal benefits — including health care tax credits — under Obama's plan.

The 5 million estimate includes extending deportation protections to parents and spouses of U.S. citizens and permanent residents who have been in the country for five years. The president also is likely to expand his 2-year-old program that protects young immigrants from deportation. The administration had considered extending the executive action to parents of young immigrants covered under the 2012 Obama directive, but immigration advocates said they did not expect the parents to be included in the final plan.

Laying the groundwork for his actions, Obama invited 18 Democratic members of the House and Senate — but no Republicans — to dinner at the White House on Wednesday. Among the networks airing his Thursday speech will be Univision, which will interrupt the Latin Grammys to carry his remarks, assuring him a huge Spanish-speaking audience. The major broadcast networks — ABC, CBS and NBC — were not planning to air the speech, but cable news networks were.

SOURCE/FULL STORY: http://apnews.myway.com/article/20141119/us-obama-immigration-a3999a7335.html

Senator Rick, TeeDonkey, reno and 2 others like this.
  2. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He's out of control. Next, he'll issue an executive order abolishing Congress and making himself President for Life. At that point, the torches and the pitchforks come out.

ltd86, Mantis, PI Nate and 7 others like this.
  3. Limo Wreck

Limo Wreck Aboard the great mothership Staff Member

Reputations:
    Why would anyone be for it?

Anfkid, Scarlett Ohara, ltd86 and 9 others like this.
  4. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I'm for immigration reform, but not by the pen of a dictator.

5. h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

TeeDonkey and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  6. h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0

Reputations:
    I always use the airplane scenario:

They always instruct you, when in an emergency, to take air for yourself before helping others.

As nice as it would be, how can we help other countries when our own is in the shitter?

7. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
  8. skylarbrie

skylarbrie VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    i love Mexicans, especially Tex-Mex, hi dawg

h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0 likes this.
  9. h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0

Reputations:
    I wonder what our Mexican-American leader here at Dawgs thinks of this?

My Mexican (and non-Mexican immigrant) friends are a little pissed that they had to go through all the formalities (and $$$) of immigration, when if they just waited a few years, they could skipped across the border into open arms.

Scarlett Ohara and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  10. Hugh Blowmont

Hugh Blowmont Just be funny

Reputations:
  11. CooksRome

CooksRome Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There's such an irony in all of this. The people who are so against what the president wants to do, more than likely have great great great grandparents that came here (the US) from different countries - who probably came here illegally, or stayed to try to build a better life.

When people think of illegal immigrants, they probably think of Mexicans who came across the border. There are also people who come here from other countries legally - whether it be by plane, ship, or vehicle - decide to stay.

Then you have the people who've had kids; those kids have grown up in the country, and what? They should be punished by sending them back home with their parents to nothing because their parents wanted a better life for them? Gimme a break.

The whole country was built on immigration, and deporting 5 million people because they're classified as "illegal" will solve nothing.

There are people who come to the US legally, and obtain citizenship the right way, and I respect that, but I can also respect those whom are illegal who have worked hard to try to build a better life for themselves and there should be an appropriate way for them to become citizens.

With that said, I'm definitely willing to hear the president out and see what his plan is.

12. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Care to share the statistics that states that at any point in this country the majority of its immigrants were illegal? I'll save you the time, it's never happened. The only time that illegal immigration was nearly as high as it is now, is the massive influx of people fleeing Europe during both world wars.

But the topic that is the real issue is that we've got a president who's decided to rule by fiat instead of respecting the way this country is supposed to be governed.

13. h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0

Reputations:

As a great-grandson of immigrants, I'm all for it... but my ancestors, like almost all, came here legally and had to assimilate quick or sink.

And my wife is from another country. We had to jump through hoops to get her here and spend thousands of dollars.

I just think that there are laws on the books which should be followed, or it is not fair for the millions who came before this.

Quedee, sino8r, rolltide and 5 others like this.
  14. I invented that

I invented that VIP Extreme Gold POTY Politics

Reputations:
    Wednesday at the White House daily press briefing, press secretary Josh Earnest said President Barack Obama will wear the label of “emperor,” like a “badge of honor.”

obama's so humble:backlol:

ravenrules and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  15. CooksRome

CooksRome Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    American Indians were already here before the country was colonized by Europeans. Your point is moot.

16. I invented that

Reputations:

holy fuck dude, this ain't all about you:nocheer:

17. Hugh Blowmont

Hugh Blowmont Just be funny

Reputations:
    Yeah, you're a fucking idiot. My mother is an immigrant who waited eight years to have her application for a visa accepted, she didn't sneak in, then whine about how "unfair" the system is. She never took a dime of welfare, she taught herself to speak English, she got a job and went to night school to get a degree.

Comparing how people used to come here versus now is a fucking joke.

18. h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0

Reputations:
    D'oh :doh:

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  19. I invented that

Reputations:

and the wagon burners were killing other indians before whitey got here, whats your point:dontknow:

20. h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0

Reputations:
    Where did they come from? Were they shit out of the Earth?

Indians also colonized each other.

Bad example.