For those who pound the meat

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Probably' a carcinogenic experts warn as processed meat officially listed as cancer risk
    • 11:32, 26 Oct 2015
    • Updated 12:03, 26 Oct 2015
    • By Anna Dubuis
    Red meat - which includes beef, lamb and pork - has been classified as a "probable" carcinogen by the World Health Organisation

Getty [​IMG]
    Red meat: Experts warns it could be a cause of cancer
    Red meat can "probably" cause cancer , the World Health Organisation has warned.

Meanwhile processed meats have officially been listed as a cancer risk on the same scale as cigarettes.

The findings come from a report published today by the International Agency for Research on Cancer, which is part of the World Health Organisation (WHO).

Red meat, which includes beef, lamb and pork, has been classified as a "probable" carcinogen in the 'group 2A' list that also contains glyphosate, the active ingredient in many weedkillers.

The lower classification for red meat was due to "limited evidence" that it causes cancer.

Getty [​IMG]
    Bacon: The breakfast staple is as big a cancer risk as tobacco
    Meanwhile the report places processed meat like hot dogs and ham in the 'group 1' list - the most serious ranking for "sufficient evidence" of cancer links.

That list already includes tobacco, asbestos, and diesel fumes.

Dr Kurt Straif, Head of the IARC Monographs Programme, said in a statement: "For an individual, the risk of developing colorectal (bowel) cancer because of their consumption of processed meat remains small, but this risk increases with the amount of meat consumed."

The IARC found links mainly with bowel cancer, but also observed associations with pancreatic and prostate cancer, it said.

Getty [​IMG]
    Processed meat: Sausages were today officially listed as a high cancer risk
    The IARC estimates that every 50g portion of processed meat eaten daily increases the risk of bowel cancer by 18 per cent.

It cited an estimate from the Global Burden of Disease Project - an international consortium of more than 1,000 researchers - that 34,000 cancer deaths per year worldwide are attributable to diets high in processed meat.

This compares with about 1 million cancer deaths per year globally due to tobacco smoking, 600,000 a year due to alcohol consumption, and more than 200,000 each year due to air pollution, it said.

If the cancer link with red meat were confirmed, diets rich in red meat could be responsible for 50,000 deaths a year worldwide, according to the Global Burden of Disease Project.

This was the first time IARC had assessed meat and the report took into account around 800 studies.

The World Cancer Research Fund advises that people can reduce their bowel cancer risk by eating no more than 500g (cooked weight) per week of red meat, such as beef, pork and lamb.

It also says people should eat processed meats such as ham, bacon and salami as little as possible.

Foods like hamburgers, minced beef, pork chops and roast lamb are also regarded as red meat.

2. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Pound ya meat lol thats funny

RenchFries, LaserT and Scarlett Ohara like this.
  3. johnfreeman1

johnfreeman1 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Rather eat meat and live to 80, than being a vegetarian and living till I am 100.

4. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    The article only pertains to red and processed meats.

You could eat chicken, turkey and fish and still do the 100.

RenchFries, stanggirl and scoobyla like this.
  5. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Dorb likes this.
  6. YodaQuiversStern

YodaQuiversStern Turn and face the strange

Reputations:
    Article doesn't tell the mechanism in which meat causes cancer. Need more info to make an informed decision. "They" have been saying meat causes cancer for a long time. I'll believe it when I read multiple double-blind controlled studies on humans that point to the same conclusion. Until then, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Droog and FosterKitten like this.
  7. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  8. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  9. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Cancer or not im not giving up bacon on a cheese burger.

cetiya, RenchFries and babybear like this.
  10. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    It probably has more to do with preparation methods.

Smoke and burnt are carcinogenic, nitrates make sense given the aforementioned. Look at that plate o sausages, too much char on the casings. I cook my red meat on super low heats.

11. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Bad meat in the can causes it.

Divorce Chicken likes this.
  12. johnfreeman1

johnfreeman1 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I like steak

John Mahlin and x76 like this.
  13. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Its not about living long, its about living healthy and happy with a lot of energy.

14. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    Forced to eat GMO's and slowly become loyal little servants to the NWO.

isabella and x76 like this.
  15. x76

x76 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "Forks Over Knives" and "The China Study" present a sadly convincing case that a plant-based diet is the way to go. The cost alone is enough to keep you from eating much red meat, but things like bacon or breakfast sausage IMHO are rare treats, though my teenager would like to live off of bacon. I don't like to be discouraged from doing anything, so I'm inclined to ignore this report... just because. If they told me that jumping off the roof was bad for me, I'd be up on the roof posting from a laptop... I feel like going to McDonald's and getting a sausage biscuit. I'll eat a salad later... ought to balance things out...

16. babybear

babybear r.i.p 8/3/15, Wherewolf of AZ VIP

Reputations:
    kosher for me.

17. JRoyle411

JRoyle411 I want to live in a hamburger bun.

Reputations:
    Chances were good I was going to die early...and most likely from cancer or a heart attack......so why not enjoy as much delicious cured and uncured meat as possible???

[​IMG]

18. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    This is just more collectivist, statist sponsored "science" intended to centralize additional power within the seats of government and other governing bodies at all levels.

The single greatest advantage of socialized medicine, in the mind of the statist, is that it gives them varying measures of control over nearly every aspect of our lives. There is almost nothing we encounter in our day-to-day existence that can't arguably have some impact on our health (however small or insignificant). Now all they have to do is demonstrate that product "X", or activity "Y", is in some small way increasing health care costs, and then they can use this as their justification to regulate those freedoms. Never mind that the "science" behind their claims is quite often nebulous at best - as this example demonstrates.

19. The Booey

The Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard related

Joe Bauers likes this.
  20. Maddux

Maddux Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

My grandmother has been eating like shit for 102 years and still won't die...it genetics more than anything. She sweetens her cereal with eagle brand milk for God sake.