For your reading enjoyment: Oh My Dog, the Amazon Reviews

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by chapped, Apr 3, 2013.

1. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously, September 23, 2010
    By
    Chus (Chicago) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Oh My Dog: How to Choose, Train, Groom, Nurture, Feed, and Care for Your New Best Friend (Paperback)
    In which chapter does she talk about her own dog being trained by a professional? Or getting her dog from a breeder, despite telling others to adopt from shelters?

30 of 39 people found the following review helpful
    1.0 out of 5 stars Really a pretty good book, August 13, 2011
    By
    Jeff Davis (Bloomington, IN USA) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Oh My Dog: How to Choose, Train, Groom, Nurture, Feed, and Care for Your New Best Friend (Paperback)
    My favorite part was chapter three where Ms. Stern teaches us the difference between a European bent-knee pose and the less formal Pittsburgh bent-knee pose. I also love how the publisher was able to put all her teeth on the cover.

13 of 16 people found the following review helpful
    1.0 out of 5 stars What credentials does the author have?, April 23, 2012
    By
    A.D. Boswell "Andy" (Sacramento, California) - See all my reviews

Other than being the wife of a millionaire radio sell out? None. There are plenty of great dog books by authors with actual credentials, why would anyone buy this silly one?
    10 of 12 people found the following review helpful
    1.0 out of 5 stars No zero star rating? Really?, November 27, 2011
    By
    J. Hovda - See all my reviews
    (REAL NAME)

Horrible excuse for a book. Obviously written by a ghost writer. I really can't recommend this for anyone looking to train their pet as the "author" got a pet or two from a breeder.

9 of 11 people found the following review helpful
    1.0 out of 5 stars Can't teach an old dog new tricks, December 14, 2011
    By
    Tay42 - See all my reviews

Same old story told by a pretty face. Tried to find something positive about the book, but quite frankly, I have learned more from the yearly visit to the vet than I did trying to wade through glamour shots. There are far better informational books out there for serious pet owners. Talk to your vet. Even free pamphlets are better and you will have money left in your pocket for a new calendar.

2. chapped

Reputations:
    9 of 11 people found the following review helpful
    2.0 out of 5 stars Bought it but....meh, March 25, 2011
    By
    FlingDiddly - See all my reviews

This review is from: Oh My Dog (Kindle Edition)
    I could probably find all of this for free via a google search, and even then I can guarantee I'd find some contradictory advice as well. Not as useful as I had hoped.

6 of 7 people found the following review helpful
    1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't make sense at all., July 15, 2012
    By
    Raytessa - See all my reviews

How does a person who didn't get their dog from a shelter and gets other peoples to train her dog, write a BOOK?!!

22 of 30 people found the following review helpful
    1.0 out of 5 stars Celebrity wife yes, animal expert NO., July 24, 2010
    By
    TMales - See all my reviews

This book is kind of like the Holiday Inn commercials. Hey Beth are you a dog expert? Well no, but I did fly over a Holiday Inn in my private helicopter. This woman bought her dog trained, and does little more than pass on regurgitated information that could be found in a simple Internet search.Help other customers find th
    200 of 285 people found the following review helpful
    1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what to think, May 6, 2010
    By
    R. gerra - See all my reviews
    (REAL NAME)

The reviews here are pretty disappointing.

On one hand, the negative reviewers dislike the book based on premise rather than substance. That is to say, they dislike the fact that the author seems to be putting out a product to further her cause (the NSAL) and to make money. I'm all for someone making money by selling a product, but they do have a point in that the NASL is a pretty low-rated charity. Their attacks on one of the authors based on her marital status are pretty insulting.

On the other hand, there are obviously planted pro-reviews which all seem to ding the same bulleted talking points (i.e. she never claimed to be an expert) and ignore the fact that the book is only 2 days old, and yet they have not only already read the book cover-to-cover, but have also implemented the advice given in the book and seen results. Its either an amazing book that will let you see results so quickly, or someone's lying about having read and/or implemented said advice.

I have to admit, the reviews have piqued my interest in purchasing the book yesterday, and, after reading a substantial portion of the text, I rate this a definite pass (as in try something else). The book reads like it was written by Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde in that there was minimal attempt to blend the writing styles of the two authors. The so-called "tips" in the book are somewhat interesting at times, but I found it odd that there is a lot (too much for my taste) of steering the reader into purchasing products in which they apparently share some monetary benefit to the authors.

The book seems hastily written and thrown out to the public in the intent of solely providing revenue streams for the authors. Sadly, I feel that the negative reviewers are more correct in their assertions than the positive reviewers and the "advice" given in the book is nothing more than what anyone with access to the internet can find on a common search engine.

3. chapped

Reputations:
    21 of 29 people found the following review helpful
    1.0 out of 5 stars She's not an expert, so why the book?, September 23, 2010
    By
    Hanzist - See all my reviews

Read the book over and got a basic understanding of what the author is trying to get across. My problem is she says she is not an expert, yet she writes this book which has received so much publicity. It takes away from the real authors out there who have dedicated their lives to animals. Beth is a model who likes dogs. She uses her husbands fame to market a book, which is just a collection of other people's opinions mixed with hers. You'd be better off using google or reading a book written by a real expert.

17 of 24 people found the following review helpful
    1.0 out of 5 stars My Dog is only working three days a week...., June 12, 2011
    By
    Booey "Booey" (Hampton NY) - See all my reviews

Harrible book. Harrible author. This no talent, plastic surgery enhanced Hamptonite can't figure out how to work a pooper scooper and she is writing books. I rather watch Idol and eat NATCHOS than keep reading this book. I bought the book while I was on one of my 23 weeks vacation and it was soo bad I went back to work. Embarrasing !

112 of 164 people found the following review helpful
    1.0 out of 5 stars nothing new, May 13, 2010
    By
    samual clemmons "J T" (New york, NY) - See all my reviews

I read this book because I am a fan of the "author's" husband, howard stern. Howard stern has been talking non stop about how great the book is, and I was curious. There are two major problems I have with this book; first, there is no new information and second, the author actually augments any concerns I had about her credibility in a variety of ways.
    *It is worth pointing out from the start that as a long time listener of the howard stern show, I know for a fact that Beth and Howard's dog Bianca was bought fully trained from a breeder. She is not a rescue dog. She was fully housebroken when Beth brought her home. Despite this fact, Beth felt empowered to write this book. She has gone on the offensive to say she is not an expert, but has compiled information from experts---why not just skip the middle man.
    I have two dogs that I have trained myself. I have read a few books, mostly by veterinarians, and there is nothing new in Beth's book that can't be EASILY found in more credible sources.
    Also, the product shilling that infests each tip from Beth further weakens her credibility and the implication that owners should buy unnecessary products, makes the book feel like exactly what, I suppose, it is: the pet project of a woman with too much time and money on her hands. I cringed when I saw her appearance on Regis and Kelly and not because the dog she brought made a mess or because she sprayed sun tan lotion right in her dog's eyes, but because her tips were so commonsense if not vapid and at one point she told Kelly "flea and ticks are a huge problem right now....IN THE HAMPTONS as you know" . Flea and ticks are a problem everywhere. Even if you destroy nature to build a mansion on the beach in the Hamptons, as Howard and Beth did, some wild life will undoubtedly linger.
    Despite the tone of that last comment, I do not want to come across as bitter because my problem with Beth is not about her potentially being a "gold digger" or "fame wh**e". My problem is not with Beth at all, actually it is with this book (and I suppose the NSAL a little) because I am also an Animal lover/advocate and while I don't doubt her sincerity, I question her judgments.

4. chapped

Reputations:
    please make sure you check out Reputation.com... they will erase all your negative info found on the internet guaranteed!

5. MobyDick

MobyDick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This thread would have been 5 stars a few years ago...

6. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    I can't wait until we can start adding comments to Lisa Heeb's book . . . :evil:

7. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Mine's still there:

198 of 334 people found the following review helpful
    1.0 out of 5 stars The Facts, May 3, 2010
    By
    BethSucks (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews

The facts about this book and author:

This book is pure garbage written by an individual trying to capitalize on her husband's fame before he fades into obscurity. She labels herself an animal activist, shelter advocate and pet expert:

Fact: Her own dog is from a breeder and is among the breeds that have been overbred to the extent that they have developed serious and painful genetic abnormalities.

Fact: She resides in an oceanfront mansion that required the destruction of four acres of untouched wetlands habitat.

Fact: Her own dog was trained by a professional dog trainer and is walked by a paid dog walker.

Fact: The proceeds from this book support the North Shore Animal League, a charity which has received the lowest rating possible from Charity Navigator and is not recommended by the BBB.

If a person is interested in buying a book on dog training purchase one written by an actual trainer.

If a person wishes to contribute to an animal charity find one with a higher rating and better reputation.

Don't waste your money on this book!

8. DaBUU

DaBUU Active Member

Reputations:
    But Howard says the block party is a fart on his empire. Don't get me wrong that block party is a giant pile of shit, but c'mon with ignoring this.

9. chapped

Reputations:
    then give it one star chuckles... Howard was whoring reputaion.com today ...you know the site that deletes all negative info on your product that drives away sales?? Amazon has 4 of her books left so

it is not too late

so now go back in time and start this thread sunshine

10. WillyBest

WillyBest Achiever Gold

Reputations:
    Jew broad, fights cancer on a ranch for kids.

11. chapped

Reputations:

:cheer:

reading ppl tear into beth is always a good chuckle in my book... which if i ever write will have reputation.,con to protect it

12. chapped

Reputations:

you see where this thread is going.. .. omg i cant wait!

13. Anyonenow

Anyonenow Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  14. chapped

Reputations:

wow... dont they send books to south america so that familys can use them as fire wood long before it comes to this?

15. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    I'm a a gitty just thinking about it . . . :D

- - -

P.S. The Fuckery will be epic . . . :D

16. chapped

Reputations:
    omg where to start

the crap writing

the crap cover

the crap photographer who shot it

the crap photoshopped tits...

the crap

in fact when it comes out we will do a guide for those who want to share

17. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    When is that exercise of tripe coming out?

18. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Something just crossed my mind.......Could Reputation.com be sued as violating the civil rights of American Citizens by quashing our right to free speech? A persons opinion is just that, An opinion.......Protected by the First Amendment of the Constitution..........If one of you legal eagles jump on this I want 10 points on any settle you get..............

19. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:

You can screw with Lisa, Howard, and Beth (Which Lisa wants to be). All in one review . . . :D

So much to work with there. Overwhelming Fuckery even for us to manage. The possibilities are endless . . . :D

- - -

P.S. I'm going to start with her name. Lisa G. And not Lisa Glassberg. In that she's a self hating Heeb . . . :D

20. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    :scratch:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013