News Former friend of "Wolf of Wall Street" Jordan Belfort homeless sleeping on sidewalk

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, Aug 11, 2015.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It was the 1980s, greed was good, and William “Preston” King was on top of the world.

The stockbroker — who was pals with “Wolf of Wall Street” Jordan Belfort — raked in the dough from plum jobs with Merrill Lynch and Oppenheimer & Co., living large in a Soho loft and driving around in a BMW.

But the tall, blue-eyed-and-blond regular at downtown dance clubs partied too hard — sucking down Rémy Martin and Cokes and snorting mountains of cocaine.

The good times turned into a downward spiral that lasted three decades — and led him to a life on the streets, sleeping on empty pizza boxes on a Greenwich Village sidewalk, his family says.

“The kid had everything at his fingertips,” said King’s younger sister, Kristine, who learned of his plight from a photo in Monday’s Post. “Anything he wanted he could have.”

The photo was part of a collection assembled by the NYPD’s sergeants union as part of a campaign to shame City Hall into action against vagrants.

“Where he was then, and where he is now, sleeping on cardboard boxes, it’s unthinkable to me and heartbreaking,” said Kristine King, 45, whose family’s last contact with Preston was in January.

Modal Trigger[​IMG]
    Preston King during his days as a Wall Streeter.

She said her brother, 52, grew up on Long Island, and his dad and grandfather were horse trainers.

He scored in the top 2 percent on the Series 7 stockbrokers exam despite dropping out of high school and NYU, she said. And he taught himself five foreign languages, learning French on his own in three weeks and picking up Dutch on a trip to Amsterdam.

But his demons always won out, eventually destroying his marriage to a single mom with whom he had moved to Florida.

He returned to New York and landed a job with a reality-TV show through his producer sister — but then lost it for showing up to work drunk.

But even all that did little to prepare his family for the shock they got Monday.

Kristine said their mom spotted the photo and immediately called her, leading Kristine to email The Post, which put her in touch with Sergeants Benevolent Association President Ed Mullins.

Hours later, Kristine and SBA Treasurer Paul Capotosto were scouring the Village and handing out fliers to find her brother.

“The sergeants, the SBA and the New York Post are amazing,” she said.

The last his family knew, Preston was getting detoxed at Arms Acres in Putnam County, where he was sent after a January incident at his sister’s house, where he had been living.

Kristine said he had been seeing a shrink who prescribed him Adderall, which Preston abused to the point of paranoia.

She said she cut ties with him for stealing her cash.

“I screamed at him about taking the money and told him to write me a letter and apologize when he comes clean, and we’ll talk,” she said.

Modal Trigger[​IMG]
    Kristine King and Sgt. Paul Capotosto look for her brother in Washington Square Park on Monday.Photo: Natan Dvir

“That was the last time we spoke.”

Kristine had a tearful message for her suffering brother.

“I want him to know his sister loves him and wants to get him help and wants to make sure he’s OK,” she said. “I would go to the end of the Earth to protect and save him.”

A friend who worked an overnight shift with Preston last year at a company raising investment money for a tech firm recalled watching “The Wolf of Wall Street,” starring Leonardo DiCaprio, with him on cable TV.

“He’s like, ‘All right, I used to work with these guys,’ ” said Jesse Catlin, 33. “He was giving me all the stories from the glory days.”

Belfort did not return requests for comment.

At a City Hall news conference Monday, Mayor Bill de Blasio downplayed the SBA’s campaign and all but blamed The Post for any rise in complaints about vagrants.

“I don’t think you have to be a social scientist to say if you in the media are talking about it all the time, people may think about it or be more sensitive,” he said.

Picture Below: William "Preston" King taken by police.

[​IMG]

smichal, larryluncg and codeine like this.
  2. suckemnuckledus

suckemnuckledus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Easy come Easy go! :fiddle:

3. lovetalkradio

lovetalkradio Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Guy's a class A dick. Plus they couldn't WAIT to tell you when Belfort was plugging WOWS what an amazing salesman he was. Sure, because he couldn't do the same legally.
    I hated that film. (Of course he has one up on this guy. He saved what little money he had that wasn't seized and lives in a condo, retired in Newport Beach. Not livin' large, but
    still...)

4. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    good

I enjoy it when people with everything lose it all

5. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Doesn't look like he's going to be of this earth for much longer. That's how skinny my dad was when he was dying of cancer.

Shortwave98 and codeine like this.
  6. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What's that old saying be kind to the people on the way up because you meet them on the way down.

Nickthedick, RF76, AmishGirl and 2 others like this.
  7. HorsetoothBeth

HorsetoothBeth Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    OMG. Look at his hip bone. Oy.

8. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I can't sleep that good on a 250O $ mattress.

9. baltimore mike

baltimore mike I wear panties 24/7 364

Reputations:
    Pizza box pillow :jj:

10. idiotbox

idiotbox Looking for a dime and found a quarter. VIP

Reputations:
    he could stand to lose another 15lbs, robin.

11. Sickboy

Sickboy Latverian Monarch

Reputations:
    GOOD.

12. Petal

Petal A girl in a sea of mults VIP

Reputations:
    My dad looked the same way with cancer at the end... sad.

Droog likes this.
  13. lovetalkradio

Reputations:
    Plus, the article couldn't WAIT to tell you about his endless achievements. Yet he can't use any of that brain power to stay off of the streets. Gives real homeless people a bad name,
    as if they don't already have enough of that.

Bye You! likes this.
  14. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    What he did for a living was a cancer.

yaddc and Droog like this.
  15. lovetalkradio

Reputations:
    Yes, but you're dad was ill. This guy is just a one-time selfish prick.

MadWoman777, yaddc, Petal and 2 others like this.
  16. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Weggie = white Reggie

Batwings and Shortwave98 like this.
  17. lovetalkradio

Reputations:
    I'm not even sure that is him. Hair looks a lot different in the bottom photo. Plus, it looks CLEAN.

18. Droog

Reputations:
    Hard to feel too sad about his plight. It's like feeling sad for Bernie Madoff or Dr. Fata (my dad's oncologist who now sits in prison for the next 45 years). These were people who were smart enough to not end up where they are.

MadWoman777, yaddc and Petal like this.
  19. Mike Huntslooce

Mike Huntslooce Maker of Champions Gold

Reputations:
    Good - that's what people who make their money by ripping people off deserve. I have no pity. My folks worked their entire lives doing labor, only to lose everything they had when my dad had cancer and strokes. Fuck people who had everything and lose it do partying and drugs. Makes me feel good inside.

20. Droog

Reputations:
    Yeah. Shouldn't he be pretty much bald? The hair on the guy on the ground looks a lot thicker than the photo at the top. Plus, there's no gray. He's 52 now.

Rescued Owl likes this.