FOX's GOTHAM rips off Wigward's "They're around!?"

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by ARM, Nov 18, 2014.

1. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I watched the Steelers/Titans game last night and thankfully DVR'd GOTHAM (set in a pre-Batman Gotham City focusing on Jim Gordon and Harvey Bullock) on FOX. Watching Gotham I stumbled on to THIS beautiful soup of dialogue between a tween Bruce Wayne (Batman) and Selina Kyle (Catwoman). I haven't laughed this hard at any COMEDY since Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I decided to put closed captions in it to accompany "they're around" for a better visual in case you didn't think the actors articulate enough.....

Howard's RIGHT, everyone DOES rip him off! I smell another lawsuit!?

jameslanza, jyanks, Margos and 3 others like this.
  2. SlinkyNeckStern

SlinkyNeckStern High Pitch Mike Lookalike

Reputations:
    Good find. Howard will not be happy about this.

"I was watching the Gotham, Robin. The whole story of a young Bruce Wayne becoming Batman follows the story of my ascension in Private Parts. I mean, shouldn't I be in the credits when I wrote the story? Fffucking cocksuckers. Ffffucking fucks."

Maklershed, smichal and ARM like this.
  3. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Wigward still has an axe to grind with FOX for not giving him a talk show in the early 90's, and this lift should definitely push him over to litigious land.

SlinkyNeckStern and smichal like this.
  4. SlinkyNeckStern

SlinkyNeckStern High Pitch Mike Lookalike

Reputations:

"There were a few FOX executives who used to work at NBC that were still good friends with Johnny Carson, Robin. They felt like my going head to head with Johnny would kill his career. So you know, they didn't green light the show."

ARM likes this.
  5. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    I don't follow the Howard connection. "They're around"?

ARM likes this.
  6. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If you haven't listened to the current HSS show (and who could blame you "quite frankly") with a finite ear - the new company line when asked about a persona non grata from years past by the HSS is "He's/they're/she's around". This when they want to sidestep a controversial rickety departure by a show regular who might expose the fourth wall.

For example...

Howard: Let's go out to Dan in Chicago!

Dan: Hey Howard, what the hell happened to Pat Cooper? I miss him on the show, it'd sure be great to hear him on the show before he does a David Brenner!?!

Howard: Ahhhh....Pat....aahhhhh......HE'S AROUND!? (click) Bobo in Lindenhurst, you're on the air!?!

Then the WUS is also given the same marching orders.....

Hein: Let's go out to CDAN in Hathaway New York!?

CDAN: Hey guys, Gary how come you don't Gilbert Gottfried on the show anymore - I really miss him sitting in on the news???

Gary: Gilbert's....ahhhh....he's around!!? Look, CDAN, we take what are given and who calls us. It is what it is, in other words, the show has EVOLVED where we sometimes like a Gilbert isn't what works on that particular day.

CDAN: BUT ELISA JORDANA DOES WORK FOR THE SHOW???

HEIN: (CLICK..dial tone) Let's go out to Marianne in Brooklyn!!

lilbuddy67 and smichal like this.
  7. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Actually booey coined they're around when questioned about the disappearance of Tim Sabien... booey claimed Tim was around mere days before it was announced he was running the o&a channel

ARM likes this.
  8. Crazy Marcus

Crazy Marcus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    yeah i thought the "they're around" is a gary thing that he would respond to callers with on the wrap up show.

ARM and ScottBaiosPenis like this.
  9. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Right right! Sabean's whereabouts was the poster-boy for "He's around. Booey & Wigward use it though, but I'd say Booey uses it more.

smichal likes this.
  10. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Booey DOES use it more than the Wig, but I've heard Wigward sling many a time as well. I honestly think the line is mandated at meetings to address the likes of Sabean, Levy, Cooper, Gilbert, Artie etc etc etc.