Fred Stoller was one of the best guests in awhile....

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by TelegramSam, May 4, 2013.

1. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    Just got caught up on the recent shows, and I thought it worth mentioning since there was no 5/2 show thread. The guy has great stories, and really knows how to roll with Artie. He was great on Dr. Katz, also. [video=youtube;Q_aZQc6jQfg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_aZQc6jQfg[/video]

2. HorseVsPelican

HorseVsPelican Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  3. mattzane227

mattzane227 Active Member

Reputations:
    I thought he might have been Ray Romano's brother. He sounds like and kindof looks like him. I can't believe they are related. I thought he was good on the show too.

4. NoddinOff

NoddinOff New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Larry david would be nobody without Jerry but I agree they seem like scumbags, also agree on fred stohler he's great on raymond. The scene where rays family calls him annoying in the beginning of the episode because of his voice and mannerisms and then later on when his cousin (fred) comes to work for ray and ray tries to teach him how to speak without being so whiny and nasally. Fred says the word "now" and it sounds like all drawn out and like the word "meow" and their both going back and forth saying over and over and it sounds like two cats haha, and then jerome flips out and yells at ray "stop it your annoying" and ray is horrified that even jerome cant stand to be around him.

5. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Sam, the first 5/3 thread is actually the 5/2 thread (explained therein).

I too thought Stoller was good both times, and on Norm too.

I never found Seinfeld himself at all funny, but I only grew to dislike him after his vicious attack on the woman his wife ripped off.

6. IlluminatiJones

IlluminatiJones New Member

Reputations:
    I was going to start a thread about this. He was great.....................probably the best guest the show's had so far. :up:

I dug him way back in the day on the "Young Comedians" special, and his early talk-show appearances.

I love that he's friends with Artie, and I loved that "going to see "Wonder Boys"" story.

I haven't even heard his second appearance yet.

They should have offered him the Nick chair.

I'm definitely going to buy his book.

7. mattzane227

mattzane227 Active Member

Reputations:
    I remember him going off on her on Letterman.

8. NoddinOff

Reputations:
    I actually find Jerry to be really funny, but I like that kind of observational humor so thats why but I believe he's a scumbag, ever since it came out that when he was 39 that he was fucking a 17 year old I havent thought of him the same.

9. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    I can enjoy "observational comedy" but going right back to his early comedy clubs his jokes always came off as obvious and formulaic to me. He was actually more entertaining with his attempts at bad acting on his show.

When you can't tell the difference between the genuine article and a spoof of it on The Fairly Odd Parents, there's a problem.

10. fatstuff

fatstuff New Member

Reputations:
    I think I'm missing something w/ this Stoller guy. I hadn't seen him on anything before the recent appearances on Norm and Artie's shows and didn't like him at all.
    I like it that he gets Artie going on some entertaining tangents, but just about everything about him annoyed me - especially interrupting people and not finishing what he was saying.
    Is it kind of a schtick that he's a bit hopeless or something like that?
    Maybe I need to go back and read the threads I've missed over the last couple of weeks, but I just wonder what I'm missing with him...

11. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    I think a lot of it depends on your age; Fred isn't a joke oriented type of comedian, he's more in the line of Mitch Hedberg and a lot of 80's observational comedians (Steven Wright, Ron Lynch, etc.).

12. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Geez, I don't know that I'd put him in that heady company. I only knew him (by face and voice, not name) as a skinny whiny recurring character actor on various bad sitcoms. Which is what his book is apparently all about.

I wouldn't have considered him a "comedian" at all; did he do stand-up?

Anyway, I can understand interpreting it differently if one never saw the guy before or care about his old work.

13. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    He's done stand up for years, but he said on Norm's podcast (check it out, it's a good one) that he quit doing stand up several years ago because he was making enough money from TV gigs to not have to go on the road anymore. He was a regular on Dr. Katz, and had several cable specials back in the late 80's/early 90's. If you watched Comedy Central back in the days when it first launched, he was one of their main acts along with Attel and Ray Romano pre-Everybody Loves Raymond. Like I said, he's more of a "character", like an Emo Phillips or Mitch Hedberg, and it's not everyone's cup of tea.

14. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Yeah, I did hear the Norm podcast with him and enjoyed it (probably the best Norm podcast to date). But I never really noticed his stand-up. Thanks... (Oh not Emo please! There's schtick, and there's dreck.)

15. NoddinOff

Reputations:
    If you hadnt seen him in anything before then I can understand you not really thinking much about him, I like him because I thought he was one of the funnier guest appearances on raymond and honestly thats all I can really remember seeing him in. His act is being hopeless though your right. The serious interview style on arties show even managed to make the cheech and chong interview kind of a letdown so Im not suprised freds dont turn into a laugh riot either. I dont even get excited for guests that are really funny because they arent allowed to just riff with artie and do a little material its all about "oh so your gonna be at the looney bin this weekend" and shit like that, maybe the guests themselves are stingy and saving their material for their paid gigs?

16. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    That was the theory I've been floating -- that they're just self-defeating and saving the good stuff -- but I might like your idea better. It might be that Artie's gone to far over to the other side, from wisecracking sidekick to full bore serious host. It would be great if both he and the guest cut loose, but perhaps you need a 3rd "authority" voice in the mix to make that happen.

17. Gogol Boobdello

Gogol Boobdello Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    gilbert Gottfried tonite !!!!!!! woo hoo

18. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Artie's running the Banned Stern Guest Relocation Program. :)

There was Bob Levy, and who else?

19. Gogol Boobdello

Gogol Boobdello Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    craig gass, jim florentine, jackie the jokeman , .... :dunno:

i was listening to stern earlier, and thought i heard Mike Bocchetti do a bababooie Parody...maybe to Zeppelin

20. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Really? Get outa town, Bocch can't string two notes together.

Gilbert, Gass, Florentine, and Levy definitely fit, thanks. And Artie himself of course. Does Norton count? Anyone else?