Friday 2/28/14

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by octex, Feb 28, 2014.

1. octex

octex Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Tonight! Artie welcomes in the comedic duo of Abbi Jacobson & Ilana Glazer, film critic Ben Mankiewicz and funny man Chris Cotton!!

Who are 2 unfunny twats, a Jew film critic, and a comic nobody has ever heard of, Alex?

2. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Oh no, it's one of those philly comedians that artie keeps having on.

i wonder how ken cole found them...guess he decided the show needed more blacks and women-who cares if they're funny or interesting or not

3. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Why on the prominent "Twitter Feed, @ArtieLangeShow" section on the left side of the artielangeshow.com web site is every post "168 days" old?

On the bright side, Thursday Hours 2 and 3 just showed up on the podcast feed, and unprecedented case of N&A/TALS staff going back and correcting a such an error.

I think both women look kind of cute, in an ordinary person way. One of these days a comic guest HAS to be funny, right? Law of averages or something? Only one I can think of off hand is Mike Lawrence.

4. jgard

jgard Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Haven't been listening, DirecTV is one of the main sponsors of a Bellator MMA live event; second rate to the UFC but not bad plus Rampage is fighting

5. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    I'm not a huge mike lawrence fan, but he was clearly comedically talented in ways none of these other guests are.

i think lawrence has gotten too big for artie already: i've seen him on comedy central a bunch lately

what happened to colin quinn? seems like he hasnt been on in a long time

6. release

release New Member

Reputations:
    I actually like Broad City and find them funny. I don't know how they are in a free-form format. Like PDS points out, most of the comics don't really know how to be funny on radio. They either think they are there to seriously discuss "the craft of stand-up" or just to plug a book/album/film/performance. Although Art doesn't really do the traditional, "So I heard you had an experience with the TSA..." comedian talk-guest setup, so I can see how that would confuse them. Then again, Art shares the same stories/anecdotes at least once a month.

How much better would the show be if Art was free-er to say whatever he wanted, put just a smidge of effort into the show and had a co-host that doesn't suffer from CTE?

I think they only have Ben Mankiewicz on so Bocchetti screws up his name at least 10 times. Roeper on once a week is more than enough from the film/critic world. All they are going to do is talk Oscar picks for 20 minutes, Harold Ramis for 10 minutes and the voting process for another 10.

7. release

release New Member

Reputations:
    Something really pissed me off at the beginning of the show (during the DirecTV week recap montage). Mike was drinking plastic bottled water with a straw. This retard can't even drink water like a normal person. The level of hate I feel for him is just miles beyond the hatred I feel for people that piss me off from my own life. If someone asked me if I had to choose between erasing Pol Pot from history or Bocchetti from history, I'd have to really think about it for a very long time.

On a side note, does anyone remember the show where there were like 4 comics at the table, including Joey Gay and they spent about 20 minutes making fun of Mike? I'm trying to sort through my old podcasts, but I have no idea where to even start...

8. mattzane227

mattzane227 Active Member

Reputations:
    I think Broad City is hilarious, it's one of my favorite shows right now.

9. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    I remember that. If I had to guess, I'd say it was mid-winter-spring last year? I remember the guy that was on with JOey Gay wearing a heavy plaid shirt. That might not be accurate though

10. John

John Member VIP

Reputations:
    Might be one of these:
    https://twitter.com/JoeyGay/status/261197721715761152

11. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    "Chris Gethard and Joey Gay"

Have there been two gayer names appearing together ever?

12. release

release New Member

Reputations:
    Thanks for hunting that down. Tried repping, but I apparently need to spread it around before getting back to you again. They deleted the fucking video! ARGH. Although, they usually don't post video of the end-of-the-show roundtable clips with Juskow/Bisconte, but I have the date down now.
    Kind of hilarious that I actually commented on that.

Getting back to this show, at the bottom of the 2nd hour (41 minutes in), one of the geniuses who work at ALS (not being sarcastic) convinced mike that "Jeff in Ohio" was actually Steve calling in under a pseudonym and apparently a complete different. Well, he fell for it and fired a verbal barrage of incomprehendable bullets that turned out to be duds. Jeff came back at Bocchetti hard and made some funny references to old shows. One of Mike's supposed insults was "You human piece of garbage pail, you." Makes perfect sense, right?

And I noticed that when someone insults mike, he basically repeats the joke almost verbatim back at them and thinks he just took that person down. The basic premise of his comebacks revolve around "I know what you are but what am I" and "No, you are". The first example was when Jeff talked about kicking Mike in the uterus, thus implying he had a fully developed female reproductive system including female genitalia. Mike's "comeback" was, "You have a uterus that I can kick out probably, youknowwhatimeanbecause". The second example quickly follows when Jeff says that Mike is so heavyset that his mother has to wipe his own butt, thus implying that his body mass is so large that he would not be able to bend and flex in such a manner to sufficiently clean his colon after defecating. Mike's comeback follows the same premise, declaring that Jeff's mother has wiped his butt since birth, has been doing so ever since and will continue to do so in the far future (when he is 86 and his mother is 106).

Other gems:
    "Your face would have been smashed off into a totem pole, fatface."
    "Why don't you go back to where you crawled under the rock that smells like dog crap."

In hour 3, the Philly comic spent 5 minutes talking about his mom contracting MS and her health rapidly declining over the years, eventually leading to her death 6 months ago (great story for a comedian to bring up on a comedy show, right?). Right after this story, Art asks Mike for his thoughts and Mike said that he would pray for Chris's mother and her health. Completely sincere, not realizing anything was amiss until Art and Chris said it was a nice sentiment but just a little late. Then Mike started crying, comparing their completely unrelated stories of parental illness.

I will say this for Mike: If he could somehow survive as a "comic" for 20-ish years without being funny, without possessing any discernible talent, without being comprehensible, without wanting to expand his own knowledge, without being a good son to his mother, making a lot more money (probably) than me while only working a max of 5 hours per day, getting to be around and associate himself with one of the greatest contemporary comedic minds... surely anyone else can have his level of success. If he can make it to where he is in showbusiness (as limited as he has), then I must be able to make it in showbusiness.

13. Gogol Boobdello

Gogol Boobdello Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Was the new guy in the studio, KC , really Steve aka Raul ??

Broad City is ok. i started watching because it was right after Workaholics.

14. Gogol Boobdello

Gogol Boobdello Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    the Ilana's Broad City dentist

[video=youtube;6K8rseISEFs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K8rseISEFs[/video]

15. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Yeah that's always his MO; can't even have an original thought to insult someone. A pathetic nothing in every way, and yet such a bad person that instead of the expected pity and compassion, he draws hatred for the terrible, if mentally deficient, person he is. Only analog I can think of is ETM, though Mike is far more stupid

16. octex

octex Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    A lot of times when he repeats the same insult back, he will throw in a "buddy" at the end.

17. ronaldjacobs123

ronaldjacobs123 Member

Reputations:
    Mike choking up hahahhaha

18. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Has Artie's time on Stern made it impossible for him to pronounce the name "Casey" ??

He keeps saying "K.C." to the new guy.

How's that guy in the hospital doing?

Starting the lady comics interview, not promising. They've gone straight into "we are discussing our career very seriously" interview mode, boring as all hell. As usual Artie is the only person in the room even trying to be funny.

I HATE young comics! Every god damn one of them is ready for the serious Marc Maron / James Lipton documentary ass kissing career retrospective interview, before they've done a damn thing. Be funny for a few decades first! Try! Start now, you boring hacks.

I swear, none of these people would have gotten 3rd billing on a comedy roster in the 80s or 90s. So tired of the self-important lazy suckage.

Ah well, let's see. Only 5 minutes in to their appearance. :)

19. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Boy I was feeling bad, maybe I jumped the gun, maybe I was unfair. So I listened through the rest of the appearance. They certainly enjoyed themselves and were a good audience as Artie performed for them. But neither tried to be funny. Not once. I hadn't jumped the gun.

When these comics go home, what do they say to remember how great their TV appearance was? "Boy you really laughed well when Artie said that.". "Hey you told that story about meeting Amy Pohler, nothing happened but it wasn't nearly as boring as last time you told it!"

I mean this for all the comic guests. Disappointingly, these two unfunny women go on the same pile.

Hey maybe they are good writers or sketch performers, maybe their show is great. But you DAMN sure wouldn't know it from listening to them.

20. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    Show is as funny as their appearance.