Entertainment Friday Night Tykes TV Show

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by DinnerSocks, May 21, 2016.

1. DinnerSocks

DinnerSocks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm usually not one to get sucked into any reality show but I've been binge watching this show on Netflix for the last week. God damn, they should've called it "Friday Night Nutcases" since the show is all about the wacky coaches and parents and hardly ever about the "tykes".

For anyone who has never seen the show, it's about an extremely competitive youth tackle football league in Texas (TYFA); the first season deals with 8-9 year odes and the second season deals with 10-11 year odes. The way that the kids are coached and treated shocks me. The last time I had anything to do with Youth Sports was in 1992 in Central PA when I matriculated as a 12 year ode and I never had coaches anywhere near as intense as these coaches. Most of these coaches openly swear around their kids (shit, asshole, fucker, motherfucker), one of them even incited an "F-word" chant for his kids to repeat. Other coaches candidly tell their kids to go "helmet to helmet" against other teams 8 and 9 year odes and encourage injury.

It feels like it's more about the coaches' own ego more than it is about the kids and their enrichment and well being. Seemingly, most of these coaches are willing to sacrifice just about everything so they can win a State Championship, regardless if it would be beneficial for the kids in the long run. The parents aren't any better, multiple fist fights are narrowly avoided, most potentially occurring in plain view of the kids. Parents are also seen to be willing to beat up a coach for simply calling the wrong plays at the wrong times and costing their teams a victory. The parents rarely get upset for the safety of the kids.

Maybe I'm just a "Pollyanna", but it really offends me that adults place, what basically amounts to their own self worth, on a child's ability to perform athletically. The adults who coached me would've been ashamed to have any part of their days ruined by how me or my jerk-off teammates performed on the athletic field. The games, especially for me back then, were meant to be fun, get exercise, and teach teamwork. Winning games at all costs was the last thing that was stressed.

That being said, this show is endlessly entertaining and I'm going to watch every episode and I could not recommend it more!!!

[​IMG]

2. I invented that

I invented that VIP Extreme Gold POTY Politics

Reputations:
  3. Swedish John

Swedish John I'm your huckleberry

Reputations:
    Try watching Friday Night Tykes: Steel Country. It's based in po dunk western Pennsylvania. Biggest bunch of Cracker Jacks I've ever seen.

[​IMG]

4. DinnerSocks

Reputations:
    I think that's Season 3, and as Bart Scott said...

"CAN'T WAIT!"

[​IMG]

Swedish John likes this.
  5. DinnerSocks

Reputations:
    You probably don't know about that area of Western PA but, when did Beaver Falls, PA become so Black?

[​IMG]

Beaver Falls, PA was the fictional home of...

[​IMG]

As well as the real life "Joe Willy"

[​IMG]

Swedish John likes this.
  6. Swedish John

Swedish John I'm your huckleberry

Reputations:
    Their stadium is named after drunken Joe. But yeah. That team is almost 100% black in the show. They play Alquppia and Ambridge too. All black squads.

7. DinnerSocks

Reputations:
    Aliquippa has been Black since as far back as I can remember, probably since Mike Ditka graduated. My dad grew up in New Brighton, PA which is right across the Beaver River from Beaver Falls. From what he said, they were twin cities. I used to go there a lot when I was a kid and I don't remember it being that Black...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Swedish John likes this.