FTC: AT&T slowed speeds of unlimited-data smartphone users

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Oct 29, 2014.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    635501117397103543-AP-Earns-AT-T.jpg

AT&T slowed the data speeds of millions of smartphone customers with unlimited data plans, in some cases by nearly 90%, according to the Federal Trade Commission.

The agency filed a complaint Tuesday in federal court charging that the nation's second-largest wireless carrier failed to adequately tell its unlimited-data customers that the company reduces or "throttles" data speeds if they use too much data in a given billing cycle. Such throttling often made many common functions such as Web surfing, GPS directions and streaming video difficult or nearly impossible to use.

"AT&T promised its customers 'unlimited' data, and in many instances, it has failed to deliver on that promise," said FTC Chairwoman Edith Ramirez. "The issue here is simple: 'Unlimited' means unlimited."

AT&T quit offering unlimited plans for new contracts in June 2010, but customers who had unlimited plans could keep them.

As wireless networks have improved, customers with unlimited data plans can gobble enough data to actually reduce overall network quality for the rest of a carrier's customers, says telecom analyst Roger Entner of Recon Analytics.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/personal/2014/10/28/ftc-att-unlimited-data-charge/18060585/

smichal likes this.
  2. JameGumb

JameGumb We're all out of toner!

Reputations:
    I wonder if Sprint does the same. Because I have problems with slow data at times. Especially around the middle of the month.

smichal likes this.
  3. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    what a bunch of horse shit...companies here in the USA are allowed to overcharge for a fraction of speed in other countries...

we are not even in the top fucking 20

Broadband rankings for 194 countries according to October 28, 2014.[1]

1. [​IMG] Hong Kong 97.31 Mbps
    2. [​IMG] Singapore 87.11 Mbps
    3. [​IMG] South Korea 82.03 Mbps
    4. [​IMG] Romania 61.11 Mbps
    5. [​IMG] Moldova 49.04 Mbps
    6. [​IMG] Lithuania 47.29 Mbps
    7. [​IMG] Sweden 47.02 Mbps
    8. [​IMG] Macau 46.46 Mbps
    9. [​IMG] Switzerland 44.87 Mbps
    10. [​IMG] Netherlands 44.19 Mbps

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Internet_connection_speeds

4. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    sneaky

FosterKitten and GoshGeeGolly like this.
  5. Beets Teeth

Beets Teeth Active Member

Reputations:
    Typical Corporate BS. To be grandfathered in to unlimited data plans you would have had to been a loyal customer for years. Then when you actually use their service they punish you for being a loyal customer. Stupid idiots. I have Verizon unlimited data but so far have not noticed throttled data but I am sure it will come.

GIRLY and FosterKitten like this.
  6. joyceface

joyceface Queen of Everything VIP

Reputations:
    This problem was the beginning of my end with att. After 20 years with them Had many fights with them on the phone, wrote letters threatened legal action etc. They didn't care. I bought my contract out (quite expensive)and went to verizon. Now Att says I still owe them $100 despite my specifically asking what do I have to pay to terminate the contract.

FosterKitten likes this.
  7. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    The deal just says unlimited. Does it specify speed?

8. FosterKitten

FosterKitten Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Remember back in the 80's when phone companies would call and try to get you to switch to their long distance service? They would pay for the switch, give you free long distance for six months and sometimes offer airline miles. Having a phone in your home would cost next to nothing and you could fly for free. I get sick when I see our phone bill now.

9. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    I get problems w/ Sprint by the day. Radio in my mini van was broken, so I used Tune-In Radio to listen to WFAN, for like 10+ hours while working. I would shut WiFi off when I was in Brooklyn, because the shit would cut out while it switched to a different hotspot every block or 2. On the drive home, same turnpike I drove w/ perfect reception earlier in the day, shit would constantly lock up. But over a month, I don't use much data at all.

JameGumb likes this.
  10. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Verizon drops plan to throttle data hogs

When Verizon announced plans in July to throttle the connections of data-hungry customers, federal regulators cried foul. Now, Verizon is backing down.

joyceface likes this.
  11. Nick Mondo

Nick Mondo VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I have "unlimited data" on AT&T and if I go over 2 gigs they pretty much cut me off from anything but texts and phone. I can't stream music or movies. It just is never ending buffering. 2 years ago when I went for a new phone the guy at the store told me "you might as well give up the unlimited dats, they cut you Off if you use too much anyway". So this is nothing new. Still pretty shitty of them.

fredrogers, joyceface and Head Censor like this.
  12. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    It's been the exact same situation for me. Maybe our patience will now be rewarded and these fuckers will be forced to give up their little game of bait and switch that they've been playing at our expense.

Nick Mondo likes this.
  13. Head Censor

Reputations:
    Sounds a lot like the way SiriusXM treats its customers who ponied up relatively big bucks for lifetime subscriptions back when their company was fighting for its life.

14. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Lily is a lying cunt​

EndOfLine likes this.
  15. BooDog

BooDog New Member

Reputations:
    My wife bought me the lifetime deal a while back. I've changed cars a few times and, I think, they told me I can move the service to one more car. Is this something you've faced? Do you know details? Anything else they do to lifetime subscribers that's unfair?

16. Head Censor

Reputations:
    There used to be a section on the SiriusXM website that detailed exactly how they treat you based upon when you purchased your lifetime subscription. I believe if you bought in early enough they actually do treat it as a true lifetime subscription. But after a certain date they start playing games.

My suspicion, though, is that if you tell them that you'll never be subscribing to their service again if they terminate your lifetime sub, they'll let you connect a new radio for a $75 service fee. I haven't quite gotten to that point yet, so I can neither confirm nor deny.

BooDog likes this.
  17. joyceface

joyceface Queen of Everything VIP

Reputations:
    Take your business elsewhere

18. Evil Clown

Evil Clown 34 VIP

Reputations:
    I only use a cell phone now with unlimited calling local and long distance. My cable and internet company always tries to sign me up for that home phone horseshit but I keep declining.

19. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The obvious solution for AT&T is to get rid of unlimited data plans completely. WGAS if someone had it before? If you don't offer it, then you don't offer it. What gets me is there still seems to be a lack of competition among carriers. Sprint and Tmobile aren't enough competition to keep AT&T and Verizon honest. Technology has gotten cheaper everywhere except in mobile data. There's no reason for two smartphones to cost over $160/month in 2014. The cost should be half that.

FosterKitten and Robert Higgins like this.
  20. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    USA 2014, where "unlimited" has different meanings and lying is business's core value. Shades of Animal Farm.