Game of thrones: books vs tv

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Beth143nacho, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    So I finally decided to read the game of thrones books. Before doing so, I had finished all of the television episodes. I wasn't keen on essentially starting over, but I did want to know about the parts that the tv show leaves out (lady stone heart, brotherhood without banners, etc).

To my surprise, aside from the very opening, the first book is essentially spot on with the tv show. I cannot think of a single other scene that differs.

So...

Question for those that have read the books and seen the tv shows: When, if ever, and to what extent do the story lines begin to differ?

Not looking for spoilers, more like magnitude/scale of what to expect. In the first book, I could've just skipped it, it seems.

2. strum

strum Member

Reputations:
    I'd probably finish reading the books first before asking for spoilers.

But you already know about Lady Stoneheart, how did you come across that?

That's probably the biggest omission for me from the show because she plays a big part in the books (with Brienne and Jaime) and my mind was blind reading the chapter when she first shows up because I wasn't expecting anything like that at all.
    Then there's Asha Greyjoy not really being in the show, I would've liked to have seen the kingsmoot and her storyline with Theon. Plus the other Greyjoys.

They decided to show Dorne instead which sucked balls (worst fight ever :D)

gotnolife likes this.
  3. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The books have a lot more to them. Also, the show is twisting plot lines around that were not in the books - Sansa (different female in book), etc.

Also. Coldhands is a HORRIBLE omission. And the books Three Eyed Crow is waaaaay cooler.

4. Stinkfist

Reputations:
    The last two books, though, get Cliff Notes. GRRM got hung up in the 'Meereenese Knot' and they are just long and boring.

5. strum

strum Member

Reputations:
    You'll probably feel that you could've skipped each book after reading it if you've watched the show already.
    I'd probably just say you would need to read each book anyway because there's a lot of characters and storylines (many that end up going nowhere though ;)) that are in the books and not in the show.

Oh yeah, I always look forward to any Sansa chapters but never really enjoyed her as much on the show. She's definitely one of my fav characters.
    I'd forgotten about Coldhands, that's another big one.

gotnolife likes this.
  6. Beth143nacho

Reputations:
    I'm not really looking for spoilers, but the first book doesn't seem to have diverged from the tv series (or vice versa) at all... Zero. It's as if the entire first book was completely displayed in season 1.

Is that what I can expect moving forward? The same exact story lines with additional snippets here & there, or should the deviations from the tv series be evident and often?

When abouts does the cold hands stuff begin to appear?

7. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    So the incident with the Night's Watch at the end of Season 5 is how far along in the series of five books?

8. Beth143nacho

Reputations:
    Believe that's beyond the books current scope.

9. Stinkfist

Reputations:
    If I recall correctly, that is the last book.

The ending of the show is not resolved in the books.

10. Stinkfist

Reputations:

The books are much different in that they are more elaborate - if you don't read the books you will miss a HUGE plot line about the Iron Islands that has been kept off the show entirely.

You will miss Stoneheart, as mentioned, which is pretty necessary to the plot in the books, but above budget - my guess - for the show.

You will miss smaller details like a Wildling that gets lost and then sealed in the Wall.

The books are fun because politics is the main concern of the Westerosi and the throne and the game - but the grumpkins and snarks are real, magic is real. Magic is going to kick everybodys ass at some point in the books.

The show is much more focused on staying reality based - which is fun - but you miss the undercurrent of intangible evil that is coming.

Coldhands is introduced once Bran gets beyond the Wall.

11. lastlaugh

lastlaugh Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The first season was by far the closest to the book it was adapting. A Clash Of Kings/ season 2 and onwards the changes become more and more radical.