Gay Bowling Takes Jersey Shore By Storm

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Miss America, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Miss America

Miss America Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Stern related, because , well . . . .

Can't everyone just bowl together? :dontknow:
    http://www.app.com/story/life/2015/02/01/gay-bowling-leagues-new-jersey/22611477/

When Gay Bowling kicked off in Asbury Park nearly 15 years ago, there was not much else to do for a tight-knit community.

"There definitely was a need — back when it originally started," says Michael Delia of Asbury Park, event coordinator. "There wasn't really a lot for those people to do — especially in the winter. (Gay Bowling became) a social outlet for people to come meet your neighbors or townspeople."

[​IMG]
    A group shot of attendees at a previous Gay Bowling event at Asbury Lanes. (Photo: COURTESY OF Michael Delia)

After taking most of 2014 off, Asbury Park Gay Bowling — an event aimed to attract members of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community — came back with a bang last November at Asbury Lanes.

"I think that as the years have passed, that need isn't as apparent because things are just so different in Asbury Park than they were five, 10 years ago, but what keeps it going is that nostalgia," says Delia, who has been organizing Gay Bowling for about eight years. "We got a really great crowd (in November), so obviously people still want it."

And there is more on the way. The event will hit the lanes Feb. 7 and March 28.

[​IMG]Buy Photo
    Gerard Dalton waits as Joel Compton bowls during the monthly Gay Bowling Night at Asbury Lanes in Asbury Park. Both have taken part in the event for years. (Photo: File photo)

"It's an interesting community evening — it's Gay Bowling but you'd be surprised who comes ... there was a (heterosexual) couple who would bring their kids," Delia says. "It's just a fun night. Sometimes the theme is a little more adult. But for the most part, everybody can really come. There are people that would not normally hang out in a 'gay' environment. They love it."

And bowling isn't exactly the main focus of the casual event, either.

"We do have some serious bowlers who come," Delia says. "But most of the people that come, even though they enjoy the bowling ... the big draw of Asbury Park Gay Bowling is the crowd, people get to see each other. Neighborhood people who don't see each other all the time, get reacquainted with townspeople that maybe they haven't seen each other in awhile. It's kind of a fun evening; we always have a good DJ. People just have a good time."

Asbury Park Gay Bowling runs 7 to 10 p.m. with pizza and DJ Jack the Ripper. On Feb. 7, there will be an after-party with burlesque and boylesque performances on the Asbury Lanes stage, as well as go-go dancers on the bar.

Though Asbury Park has flourished over the last decade with new restaurants, bars and clubs and growing LGBT-friendly events, the Gay Bowling is still enjoyed — and requested.

"The community used to be smaller; but now — I think people are coming to the Gay Bowling because ... it's sort of a little nostalgic," Delia says. "It sort of reminds them where they came from, how much Asbury has changed. You see people that you haven't seen for awhile — it gives people a renewed sense of community. Asbury Park is a community where people enjoy seeing each other. The bowling just sort of reminds us of that."
    The other team

Nearby at Bradley Beach Bowl and Recreation Center, an LGBT bowling league has formed another fun and close-knit environment. They can be found filling up lanes 1 through 10 on Sunday evenings.

[​IMG]Buy Photo
    Devon Graas of Asbury Park is all smiles after rolling a strike at Bradley Beach Bowl & Recreation. (Photo: FRANK GALIPO/CORRESPONDENT)

Central Jersey Rainbows is in its 10th year of bowling together. The handicapped league, president Brian Coyle explains, originally played at Memory Bowling Alley in Shrewsbury before it caught fire in 2009. They then moved to the Bradley Beach alley.

"I think it's just a different environment to meet people and have fun," Coyle says of the league. "It's not like going to the bar; it's a really good group of people. A good nonbar environment, the sportsmanship and camaraderie and the competition ... it's just nice seeing people in that environment."

[​IMG]Buy Photo
    Richard Doust of Atlantic Highlands (left) is congratulated by teammate Steven Pinchac of Jackson. Both men bowl with Central Jersey Rainbows in Bradley Beach. (Photo: FRANK GALIPO/CORRESPONDENT)

The league has about 27 people, with new members joining annually. Players bowl 5:30 p.m. Sundays in two seasons: September to December and January to April. They also host an end-of-the-year party.

"We bowl for 30 weeks but split it in half," Coyle explains. "We make sure everybody has the opportunity to come out for it."

Coyle adds he, too, saw a need for LGBT bowling in the area before the league was formed.

"I joined it at the time with a friend ... he was into bowling," he says. "(I thought) 'Let me join this and kind of get to know my friend and other people kind of a different level. There was a need for it. We're not really close to New York City.

"Ten years ago, Asbury Park wasn't how it is now, so we didn't have the 'gay mecca' — a centralized place. Back then, we had a lot of people who drove from 45 minutes away to bowl.

"So I definitely think it was important then, and it still is important, to meet people in different avenues and different venues."

[​IMG]Buy Photo
    Mikey Knipp of Asbury Park is a member of the Central Jersey Rainbows league that meets Sunday evenings at Bradley Beach Bowl & Recreation Center. (Photo: FRANK GALIPO/CORRESPONDENT)

IF YOU GO

WHAT: Gay Bowling Night

WHEN: 7 p.m. Feb. 7 and March 28; after-party starts at 10 p.m.

WHERE: Asbury Lanes, 209 Fourth Ave., Asbury Park

COST: $15 for bowling (includes shoe and ball rental), pizza, and DJ; $20 for bowling, pizza, DJ and after-party with burlesque and boylesque performances and go-go dancers. Snacks and drinks are served throughout the night.

MORE INFO: Visit www.facebook.com/events/42262533455791

WHAT: Central Jersey Rainbows , an LGBT bowling league

WHEN: 5:30 p.m. Sundays; 30-week season split in two from September to December, and again from January to April.

WHERE: Bradley Beach Bowl and Recreation Center; 1217 Main St., Bradley Beach

COST: $15 per week for three games, and includes ball and shoe rental

MORE INFO: Email CJRBowling@gmail.com

smichal likes this.
  2. HorseFanNetwork

HorseFanNetwork Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    too easy,fingers in holes,polishing balls,greased up lanes

3. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Ass bury

:roll:

John Mahlin, smichal and Wangold like this.
  4. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Say what you want, but those Fruits have really turned that shithole into a vibrant shore community.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  5. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

teehee and GoshGeeGolly like this.
  6. Richards Dad

Richards Dad Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Is that Steve Brandano in the group pic, far left??

7. Mulletude

Mulletude I'm Big In The Hate Club, Ya Know VIP

Reputations:
    The Dude doe not abide, man.

8. slats7

slats7 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "we want equal rights! but in the meantime, we're gonna self-segregate"

9. MilkyDischarge

MilkyDischarge Se suelto el diablo Gold

Reputations:
    Best quote to take out if context-

"We do have some serious bowlers who come," Delia says

10. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I can't really blame them for not wanting to hang with the regular bowling crowd

11. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    "I've decided to take up bowlingRobin, my coach says I'm a natural"

AGT Blows, slab0meat, smichal and 3 others like this.
  12. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Gawd Damn, Am I glad I'm not gay......Look at those ugly mutha' fuckas'...........:eek:

13. Mike

Mike 'Merica Gold

Reputations:
    Those people :jj:

And why is there less stuff for gays to do in the winter :dontknow:

14. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Robin they stole that idea from me. I've been doing gay bowling down in my basement in the Hamptons for years.

teehee, smichal, reno and 1 other person like this.
  15. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
  16. EvolvedMarbles

EvolvedMarbles Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This this this BOWLing Robin it's really fun. Beff was outta town so I sent a note to Scott and and and he suggested this league of top guys in the sport. They were very welcoming and wanted to accommodate me. It's my new thing Robin and I have to say once I saw what's doin I really came around

BatmiteReturns and smichal like this.
  17. BatmiteReturns

BatmiteReturns Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    queers 'n beers

Gotta love it.

SternsEgo likes this.
  18. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
  19. Skipnoid

Skipnoid Lick Me!

Reputations:
    That's gay.

20. NyMarkNy

NyMarkNy VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Fucking disgusting unless it's hot chicks.

Self segregating homos. Quarantine them before the aids spreads

dewshtard likes this.