"Gay, Ugly Motherfucker, One Hit Wonder" Sam Smith wins four Grammy's

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Feb 9, 2015.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Sam Smith Wins 4 Grammy Awards, Including Song Of The Year
    [​IMG]i
    Michael Tran/Getty Images
    Sam Smith, the British singer whose debut album, In the Lonely Hour, was one of only two albums released in 2014 to go platinum, won four Grammys, including Record and Song of the Year, as well as Best New Artist.

In a moment that seemed to catch most of the audience by surprise, Beck's Morning Phase won Album of the Year, keeping Smith from sweeping the top categories. Beck's album of subdued, string-laden folk songs was critically favored, but it felt like an underdog against nominations of pop stars Smith, Pharrell Williams, Beyoncé and Ed Sheeran.

Even so, it was Smith's night. "Stay With Me," the song that won Record and Song of the year, has been on the Billboard Hot 100 for 43 weeks, and In the Lonely Hour sold 1.2 million copies last year, more than any other album released in 2014 except Taylor Swift's 1989, which was released after the Grammy eligibility period for the year ended. Midway through the ceremony, Smith performed a subdued but confident version of the song with Mary J. Blige, backed by strings and a choir.

The tempo of the night rarely pushed past a steady pulse, either in the performances or the winners. All five Album of the Year nominees performed over the course of a long telecast in which only nine awards were handed out, compared with 23 performances, as host LL Cool J announced at the start of the night. Many artists took the stage with unexpected partners. Sheeran performed a two-part set; he performed his own "Thinking Out Loud" with a band that included Herbie Hancock, Questlove and John Mayer before joining Jeff Lynn's Electric Light Orchestra for "Mr. Blue Sky." Beck played the sleepy, wistful "Heart Is a Drum" with Coldplay's Chris Martin.

Many collaborations paired musicians currently in residence on the pop charts with hall-of-famers: Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett sang "Cheek to Cheek," the title song from their album of duets. Irish singer-songwriter Hozier performed his Song of the Year-nominated hit, "Take Me to Church," with a steely-eyed Annie Lennox. Kanye West, Rihanna and Paul McCartney played the acoustic "FourFiveSeconds," a song that was released on the Internet just two weeks ago. West also performed "Only One," a song he recorded with McCartney.

Morning Phase was also awarded Best Rock Album and Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical. When Beck's name was announced as the Album of the Year winner, West briefly rushed on stage and approached the microphone, before backing away, in an apparent joke about his own notorious theft of the microphone from Taylor Swift at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards, when he insisted that Beyoncé deserved the awards Swift had won.

Beyoncé picked up three awards of her own. "Drunk In Love" won Best R&B Song and Performance, and Beyoncé won Best Surround Sound Album. Pharrell Williams also won three Grammys, including Best Pop Solo Performance and Best Music Video for "Happy" and Best Urban Contemporary Album for Girl.

Other multiple-award winners included Rosanne Cash, who won three awards in the Americana category, and Chick Corea, who won two jazz awards. The rap category was split between Eminem, who won Best Rap Album for The Marshall Mathers LP2 and Best Rap/Sung Collaboration for "The Monster," which features Rihanna, and Kendrick Lamar, who won Best Rap Song and Best Rap Performance for "i." Jack White won Best Rock Performance for the title song to his album Lazaretto as well as an award for the Best Boxed or Special Limited Edition Package for The Rise & Fall Of Paramount Records, Volume One (1917-27).

ZosoHitler, Nemo and blindbella like this.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    thanks Howard

smichal, rabbigottfried and chapped like this.
  3. blindbella

blindbella Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I have no idea who this guy is but I'm so happy for him!! :cheer:

4. BethSucks

Reputations:
    "Robin, I love Sam Smith, I was going to invite him and Precious over for a beautiful soup and some almonds when I was in Florida, but I was too busy working on the show."

5. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Looks like Boy George, sings like Adele, lisps like Howard Stern

6. DuckDong

DuckDong VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I'm getting old, I don't think I've heard any of those songs and most importantly I couldn't give a shit.

7. artful dodger

artful dodger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    has 1 SINGLE person here listened to his album?

i'll wait . . .

XaltedSmoke likes this.
  8. Beffquus

Beffquus Scripta sunt in stellis Gold

Reputations:
    Howard won't back down.

Tom Petty wrote that song after being inspired by the show. Sam can't steal his homage. That's why Howard refuses to acknowledge him.

True story, Robin.

9. Birddog

Birddog Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    To be fair, he is a gay ugly motherfucker

10. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    Does The Best New Artist Grammy Curse Exist?
    What it means to win the same award as both Milli Vanilli and The Beatles.

Larry McShane of Associated Press called the Best New Artist winners pool “a frightening mix of one-hit wonders, MTV caricatures, Pat Boone progeny, and dating fodder for the Artist Then Known As Prince.” At the time, this pool included Burt Bacharach-lite Christopher Cross, “Boogie Oogie Oogie” singers A Taste of Honey, and family-friendly rockers Hootie and the Blowfish. A handful of notable artists — The Beatles, Sade, Carly Simon — could do nothing to fix the reputation of the award.

“Of the 36 honorees, 21 never returned to the winner’s circle,” McShane then went on to explain. Forty-one percent of the 36 Best New Artists went on to win other awards and avoid episodes of VH1’s Greatest One-Hit Wonders.

[​IMG]
    Michael Ochs Archives

Those who didn’t became the perennial butt of jokes stand as cautionary tales of what a Best New Artist Grammy can do to a career and a reputation. “We got two of the five Grammys — one was Best New Artist. So that was basically the kiss of death and I feel sorry for everyone who’s gotten it since,” Starland Vocal Band member Taffy Danoff famously stated on VH1’s 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders.Starland Vocal Band won the award in 1977 on the strength of “Afternoon Delight,” their breezy hit song about a midday romp. Their success soon petered out, the band broke up, and married members Taffy and Bill Danoff filed for divorce. The members of Starlight Vocal Band can find relief in knowing their song has been repurposed for Taco Bell lunch breaks.

Colin Hay, lead singer of the band Men At Work, echoed the “kiss of death” sentiment by referring to the award as the “best-new-artist-slash-kiss-of-death award.” Men At Work, the 1983 Best New Artist winner, was a band of plucky Aussies that could. Best known for the absolute kitsch of unofficial Aussie anthem “Land Down Under” and the sax line from the paranoid “Who Can It Be Now?,” Men At Work slid down the charts as the decade went on. Two years after their Grammy height, their album Two Hearts peaked at No. 50 on the U.S. pop albums chart, with lead single “Everything I Need” reaching No. 47 on the Billboard Top 100. The single didn’t fare any better in the band’s homeland, where it reached No. 37 on the Kent Music Report.

[​IMG]
    The LIFE Picture Collection/Gett Time Life Pictures

In addition to holding the award for steepest chart drops, the Best New Artist category holds the distinction of being the only award that was ever taken away from a winner. In 1990, Germany’s Fab Morvan and Rob Pilatus, the sculpted faces of Milli Vanilli, took the Grammy stage and accepted the award in coordinated blazers with bulking shoulder pads. The only problem: Morvan and Pilatus stood on stage and accepted an award for music that other individuals sang. Suspicions arose after interviews with Morvan and Pilatus revealed their heavily accented English, which seemingly had no trace of a German accent in their music. A live MTV performance effectively ended their career, when their backing track skipped and revealed their lip syncing. Most concertgoers were unfazed, but the incident cast a shadow of suspicion on the models’ true talents. Frank Farlan, the mastermind behind the lip-syncing duo, sat down with reporters and exposed Morvan and Pilatus as frauds in November 1990. Less than a week later, their award was taken away, and their names were wiped out of Grammy history.

Before Milli Vanilli, the Best New Artist winners circle was, much like Larry McShane described it, a hodgepodge of tabloid fodder, cheesy balladeers, and one-hit wonders. After Milli Vanilli, it could now add “music industry pariahs” to the adjectives list.

[​IMG]
    Hootie and the Blowfish AFP / Getty Images JEFF HAYNES

The winners of the ’90s and early ’00s followed the previous decade’s lead when it came to chart success. LeAnn Rimes never quite matched the pop success of Blue or her covers album, but she did become a reality television star and tabloid fixture over her feud with a Real Housewife of Beverly Hills. Lauryn Hill became a recluse after her win, and the public came to know her for her erratic behavior instead of her short but initially illustrious music career. Christina won over Britney in 2000, and though neither pop tart currently has her early ’00s fame, Britney has more No. 1 hits under her belt and a Vegas residency. And, finally, 2004 Best New Artist winner Evanescence is best known for inspiring the title to The Worst Harry Potter Fanfiction Ever.

The supposed “curse” seems to have spared all winners from 2005 on. Within the last decade, the award for Best New Artist has gone to Maroon 5, John Legend, Carrie Underwood, Amy Winehouse, Adele, Zac Brown Band, Esperanza Spalding, Bon Iver, fun., and Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. Eight out of 10 have gone on to win later Grammys, nearly double the percentage McShane had calculated nearly two decades ago.

You could easily replace what the Best New Artist Grammy represents with any other significant accolade and create a number of curses that vex sudden indie darlings or overnight pop successes. The Strokes burst on the scene in 2001 with Is This It, embodying the back-to-basics attitude of early ’00s rock. Their second album, Room on Fire, left critics wanting for more. Did The Strokes suffer because of the “Pitchfork-gave-our-first-album-a-9.1-and-our-second-album-an-8.0” curse? Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe” was the sing-along anthem of 2012, but despite releasing a solid full-length album, Jepsen has yet to return to the top of the charts. Did she suffer from a Billboard Music Awards curse, or a “beat-to-death-by-YouTube” curse? Breaking through on the pop charts and gaining the attention of music critics is no easy feat; maintaining a high level of chart success, as expected of Best New Artist winners, is an even greater challenge. The Best New Artist Grammy is the shiny physical manifestation of sudden fame, which can occur independently of any award show; this success just happens to occur before an audience of over 20 million viewers. Throw in the hot, uncomfortable spotlight, an ever-changing music scene, major label demands, and the usual band tensions, and you have yourselves the creation of an urban legend and a group of easy pop culture targets.

[​IMG]

For fans of Sam Smith or Brandy Clark or Bastille, rest easy. Despite the award’s spotty history through the ’80s and ’90s, it managed to redeem itself with winners like Adele and Maroon 5. Winning Best New Artist doesn’t equal musical damnation. Although music industry professionals don’t always get it right, can they truly be blamed if their selections cave under expectations in a fickle industry?

Maybe, just maybe, the internet will eventually be swamped by an influx of “Best New Artist Blessing” articles based on the strength of this year’s winner.

Senator Rick and Blur like this.
  11. MobyDick

MobyDick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Can't wait for the Howard spin control and deflecting... "what I meant to say, Robin"... "people are quoting me out of context, Robin" ... "MY FANS are bullying me on that Twitter, Robin". Soon Sam Smith will call in. Then Sam Smith will be on the show. Sam will get some jabs in and then will become Friend of The Show, Robin. Robin?

12. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Stern is a lifelong serial thief that is always on top of and reporting others accused of stealing.
    Howard did seriously say last week that his name being attached to Sam Smith was a good thing for Smith.

13. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    Sam Smith might be his gateway drug to his one true wish-list guest, Taylor Swift!!!!

Nemo and Blur like this.
  14. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    the 'stern effect' in action again :jj:

15. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    Ask Adele and Sam - if you are a British soulful type singer, you can pretty much conquer America.

AmishGirl, blindbella, Jayla and 4 others like this.
  16. youknew

youknew Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    sam smiths album is great, im not sure why you guys like to brag so much about being out of touch.. goo for you, goo for you

So happy that Beck won album of the year, F Kanye

17. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    52 million twitter fans
    A Swift score would get Howard amazing media buzz.
    That is what the Stern plan is to get another Sirius contract.

18. joemama

joemama Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Could not tell you one song that was up for a award last night

19. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    well, he sure as shit listened to Tom Petty

Thikken Vaney likes this.
  20. BethSucks

Reputations:
    "Taylor, your adolescent boy figure is so hot and you're a real earner.......what a catch, right Robin?"

Ving and Alisonsbankacct like this.