George Takei

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Bababoey31, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Bababoey31

Bababoey31 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Anyone know how that god awful (probably) play did? Did he get his million(s) back he invested?

2. Walygatr

Walygatr Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I heard he took it in the ass.

reno, 1Vegasgirl, Mulletude and 7 others like this.
  3. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:

Oh my.

Dorb, reno, 1Vegasgirl and 3 others like this.
  4. lestanyonethink

lestanyonethink Hey, how do I know Connie? VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Previews started last Tuesday and it officially opens on Broadway at the Longacre Theater on 10/8.

Tickets start at $45 for the last three rows in the balcony to $149 for the front section, plus a $9.50 per ticket fee, plus a per order handling fee...

http://allegiancemusical.com/

Inspired by the true-life experience of its star George Takei (“Star Trek,” “Heroes”), Allegiance follows one family’s extraordinary journey in this untold American story.

A mysterious envelope leads Sam Kimura (Takei) back 60 years to a time when he (played as a young man by Telly Leung — Godspell, “Glee”) and his sister Kei (Tony Award-winner Lea Salonga — Miss Saigon, Mulan) strive to save their family from the wrongful imprisonment of Japanese Americans during World War II. Sam enlists in the army to prove the Kimuras’ loyalty, but Kei joins draft resisters fighting for the rights of their people.

Their paths take them from the lush farmlands of California to the wastelands of Wyoming to the battlefields of Europe, and their divided loyalties threaten to tear them apart forever. But as long-lost memories are unlocked, Sam finds that it is never too late to forgive and to recognize the redemptive power of love.

5. lestanyonethink

lestanyonethink Hey, how do I know Connie? VIP Gold

Reputations:
    In 2012 George used his millions of social media followers to raise about $160K for the play to be put on in San Diego. I wonder how much more of the Takei fortune has been poured into this project since then, and I wonder how Brad secretly feels about this.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...-enterprising-way-to-raise-funds-for-musical/

The IndieGoGo pitch raised $158,322 from 5,276 backers, who gave anywhere from $1 to (in one case) $5,000.

While Takei also has contributed his own money to the production (and continues to seek investors, although he has no plans for another online drive), for him the focus is more on the show’s subject matter than on its financial prospects.

“I’ve been speaking on this for decades for now,” Takei said of the internment, which began in 1942 under an executive order from President Franklin D. Roosevelt that was later upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court. More than 100,000 people, most of them U.S. citizens living on the West Coast, were sent to relocation camps.

“Americans should know about this. Yes, Japanese-Americans were interned, but what was really violated was the U.S. Constitution.”

6. johnfreeman1

johnfreeman1 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I never quite understood how George had money

lilbuddy67 and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  7. funnymoney

funnymoney Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It did really well in San Diego supposedly, I would imagine he made his money back and then some there according to the reports. George doubled down and wanted to bring it to Broadway, which I am going to guess it won't do well and will cost millions. The show played so well in California because that's where the events from the show happened, in New York it won't make as much sense.

8. funnymoney

Reputations:
    George made most of his money from Asian banks in California, if I recall correctly.

9. Bababoey31

Bababoey31 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    nk

Think you're right. Did hear him saying something about lucking out with some banks that did well.

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  10. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Democrat

Mr Fantastic likes this.
  11. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    How much "ass play" is in the play?

lilbuddy67 likes this.
  12. funnymoney

Reputations:
    Yes, if I can further recall correctly George was on the ground floor of at least one Asian bank in the 80s that grew very quickly and later sold out to a larger Asian bank. I think he was the chairman and everything, or at least was on the board and a major player. He's probably swimming in dough from that buyout. Asian banks are relatively obscure to most people but they have done very well in the last few decades.

Plus he still rakes in money from convention appearances. The Star Trek cast especially can make a huge amount of money per year from those things.