News Georgia couple sue snapchat over crash

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by XuXu, Apr 29, 2016.

1. XuXu

XuXu Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    http://www.wfsb.com/story/31833989/georgia-couple-sues-snapchat-for-car-accident

Witness: Snapchat lawsuit based on lies
    Posted: Apr 27, 2016 6:24 PM EDTUpdated: Apr 29, 2016 8:51 AM EDT
    By Dante Renzulli
    CONNECT

[​IMG]
    GRIFFIN, GA (CBS46) -
    A lawsuit filed in Spalding County claims Snapchat tempted a woman to drive too fast, causing a major crash.

But CBS46 tracked down a witness who said the lawyers have it all wrong.

Henry Williams is one of three other passengers who were in the car when the crash occurred in September. He said he was sitting right beside Christal McGee, the young lady named in the lawsuit for Snapchatting behind the wheel.

All the proof we've seen so far of McGee using Snapchat that night is a selfie she took from the ambulance stretcher...but that was after the crash.

It's Williams' opinion the plaintiff, not the defendant in the Snapchat lawsuit, is the one who caused the crash.

"He pulled out in front of us, and instead of speeding up, he never speeded up," said Williams.

According to the official police report, Lovejoy police never blamed either driver for causing the crash, and never accused anyone of speeding.

Lovejoy police said their investigation is not over, and they had nothing to do with creating the theory that Snapchat is responsible for the accident.

The Georgia lawsuit references a case in Brazil where a young lady was accused of driving fast to impress her friends and crashing. They say she was using a Snapchat feature that stamps your photo with the speed you were moving when you took it.

It turns that out law firms all over the country have had their eyes on Snapchat's "speed filter" for a while, and they're actively looking for cases they can use as an excuse to sue the multi-billion dollar company.

A quick search on the internet shows law firms soliciting this idea from coast to coast.

CBS46 asked Williams if anyone in the car was using Snapchat the night of the accident.

"No sir," replied Williams.

As for how fast McGee was going, Williams said he wasn't paying attention, but he doubts it was the 113 mph the law firm is alleging. Police said they couldn't tell how fast either car was going because the road was wet and tire marks were inconclusive.

Records show the plaintiff in the Snapchat lawsuit was involved in another car accident a month before this one.

The Atlanta law firm argues Snapchat is promoting dangerous driving because people may be tempted to go as fast as they can to post a high number.

Snapchat does have a quick warning that pops up when you first use the speed filter saying, "Please do not snap and drive."

Representatives from the company had nothing to say about the lawsuit. The attorneys who filed the lawsuit have also been avoiding our questions.

Williams said he no longer keeps in touch with McGee, and didn't know about the Snapchat lawsuit until CBS46 brought it to his attention.

Copyright 2016 WGCL-TV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

2. a mysterious man

a mysterious man Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No words, just

:facepalm:

3. XuXu

XuXu Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    PTRacing, Dan, Wiggy and 4 others like this.
  4. synch22

synch22 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sue em...
    These phones have gps capability...my waze app knows every move I make in my car. Other apps should be able to put in an off switch based on that.
    Done...

He may not win but start the conversation...

Jeb..." Yes please clap....clap please"

jaw_belize and TheLACritic like this.
  5. Bobby Axelrod

Bobby Axelrod Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Why would you hate people because they let their 18 year old daughter drive a Mercedes? They are one of the safest cars on the road.

6. XuXu

XuXu Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Found a pic of the guy.

Wentworth.jpg

7. suckemnuckledus

suckemnuckledus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    4 kids were killed several years ago, while doing 80mph down Mansell street. (Mansell Street is pretty fucking steep....going 25 is fast enough)....after the car blew through a tree, and ejected a young girl out of the back of the car. She flew roughly 150ft and hit a house. All died instantly. It was an awful sight. Days later, the parents tried to sue the makers of "Fast and Furious", because they found the soundtrack in the CD player.

reno, TheLACritic and AcquiringSignal like this.
  8. YodaQuiversStern

YodaQuiversStern Turn and face the strange

Reputations:
    Jesus, the guy pulled out and didn't speed up. Definitely an error in his part for not correctly judging the speed of someone traveling over 100mph, but I'm sure he didn't expect to encounter someone running that speed. So not his fault!
    Anyone know what the posted speed limit on the road where the crash occurred is?

9. XuXu

XuXu Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Assholes with too much money, ala Affluenza teen.

10. synch22

Reputations:
    I support suing any app that may be involved in any crash.....please do.

Does anyone agree that a kill switch can be on not allowing the app to be turned on? Especially since they are a whole separate thing from the phone. If the car is moving, phone gps based.....app can not open.

11. YodaQuiversStern

Reputations:
    And that stupid bitch clearly didn't learn a lesson because she took another selfie from the ambulance. What has this world come to?

12. AcquiringSignal

AcquiringSignal Girthy VIP

Reputations:
    Peer pressure from Snapchat forced me to drive like an asshole. Got it.

13. YodaQuiversStern

Reputations:
    My husband drives around with his phone in his hand often and it really pisses me off. Usually it's for ingress. I don't keep my mouth shut about how dangerous it is and how I don't want to die in the passenger seat. What can I do to stop him? Refuse to get in the car with him? That won't stop him when I'm not in the car. And I won't lie, I use my phone in the car too, for music. But I tell Siri what to play so I don't have to take my eyes off the road. I couldn't live with myself if I hit a human or animal because my phone was more important in that moment.

FosterKitten likes this.
  14. synch22

Reputations:
    We all are guilty of it....the phone doing something and taking that temptation away fixes a major problem...even worse than drunk driving?

YodaQuiversStern likes this.
  15. MadWoman777

MadWoman777 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Two words: Tort reform

16. YodaQuiversStern

Reputations:
    In some ways yes, because more people are using their phones while driving than driving while drunk.

17. DiamondGoddess

DiamondGoddess Born Ready for My Close-Up! Gold

Reputations:
    I have said this before here, but I loooove people like this, useless with no sense of responsibility.

I can show up to work, kick fuggin ass, and get aaallll the goodies!!!

(People like her wonder how I can always eclipse them, lols.)

The Decline and Fall of Western Civilization is just fine, cuz I ain't part of it!!!

:c

18. bdbx18

bdbx18 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Rage against the machine, Nirvana, zztop ... makes me drive fast. That's why I play Mozart and Brahms in the car now

19. Bobby Axelrod

Bobby Axelrod Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    So anyone with money and a Mercedes is an asshole? That is a very myopic way of thinking. I'm feel bad for your kids if you have any.

Trainwreckjm likes this.
  20. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    OR everyone could take some FUCKING PERSINAL RESPONSIBILITY!!!!
    It's not the app's fault people are morons. :facepalm: