Stern Show Gilbert Discusses Stern in New Interview

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by pickles3000, Jan 8, 2016.

1. pickles3000

pickles3000 Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    http://www.avclub.com/article/gilbert-gottfried-his-amazing-colossal-podcast-ala-229522

VC: As you said, the show was a Howard Stern production, and you were a regular guest on his show for awhile. How did you and Stern first meet?
    GG:
    He just had me on a guest, and at that point, you could still say to people, “Oh, I’m doing The Howard Stern Show tomorrow,” and people would go, “Who?” So he was just building a following back then. But then later on it exploded, and he became the biggest thing on the air. But the first time I did the show, I don’t know, I got laughs on the show, and we just seemed to strike it off. There seemed to be chemistry. I guess my school report would’ve said, “Plays well with others.” [Laughs.] But it got to a point where there were times where, if I just happened to wake up early in the morning, I would get dressed and walk—and it was a long walk—all the way over to where the show was, and back then I could just walk in the office building, and they’d nod and say hi, and I’d ride up on the elevator and then just sit in on the show.

AVC: Not a bad deal.

GG: Yeah, that was fun! It’s so funny that over the years I’d be remembered for bits on that. You know, just various weird things we did, interviews or weird phone calls. I remember one time they sent me out in full Dracula attire. Howard always liked it when I did Dracula, so they sent me out with a cape and white makeup and a widow’s peak and everything, gave me a microphone, and they had me ask black people if O.J. was guilty. [Laughs.]

AVC: One of the first things someone said to ask you was, “Ask him about his Andrew Dice Clay impression on the Stern show!”

GG: Oh, yeah! But it, uh, doesn’t really work in print. [Laughs.]

[​IMG]

2. Airwolf

Airwolf VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
  3. richardstoothbrush

richardstoothbrush Active Member

Reputations:
    ooooohhh, the Jew Guy looks like the Black Guy.....connection...............

to some

4. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Great post.
    The show is so much less without his occasional appearance.

Gilbert is a major league star, man- he was in ALL fucking three Problem Child movies!!!
    AND the animated series!!!
    Makes him the most successful guest ever to make frequent appearances on the old and beloved Howard Stern Show.

He really looks like a toastier Obama! Extra crispy, too.
    Nice!

5. Night Ape

Night Ape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What a fantastic and thorough article!

It's like the polar opposite of that grotesque, fawning Howard Stern puff piece the Washington Post did last month.

Senator Rick likes this.
  6. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Great posts so far.
    Everyone rep the person who started this thread.
    Please.

telecaster and Scarlett Ohara like this.
  7. Axeman32

Axeman32 Active Member

Reputations:
    Fa fa fooey with no self respect in the dice gottfried video sitting in the background wearing the beekeeper mask. What a fish.

8. Jake Dog

Jake Dog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    "He just had me on a guest, and at that point, you could still say to people, “Oh, I’m doing The Howard Stern Show tomorrow,” and people would go, “Who?”

Just goes to show, life is a cycle. People say "Who" when someone mentions Howard Stern now too.

kingship, Xent, Tracy and 9 others like this.
  9. OneBallBelz

OneBallBelz Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    In the mid-80s, Gilbert was probably one of the highest profile guests he could get.
    What was great about the show is that they seem to know what to do with Gilbert, just left him riff on whatever topic came up. Since Howard had no set agenda and was trying to fill as much air time as possible, this was a match made in radio heaven.

Fast forward 30 years, Gilbert had a very successful podcast by interviewing people hardly anyone remembers and seems to be having a good time. Howard sounds like a miserable old fuck.

10. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    gil's podcast is good

Chatsworth, Xent, Super Dave and 2 others like this.
  11. June DeMay

June DeMay Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I remember the last time Gilbert was on the HSS: it was a straight up, by the book, Howard reading Will's questions and not listening to the answers, that Howard is now famous for type of interview. Howard acted as if Gilbert was never on the show before, no history, no nothing. It was boring radio.

It really is for the best that all our old time favorites are no longer allowed on the show. They don't know what to do with them anymore.

12. OneBallBelz

OneBallBelz Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think you've said it all.

MadWoman777 and June DeMay like this.
  13. DrPeterVenkman

DrPeterVenkman VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He's said too much.

15. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    Circa 1993-1995 was the absolute high point of the HSS. With Billy, Belzer and Gilbert on a semi-regular basis, those shows were out of this world. Gilbert was the only one to continue into the post-Private Parts era, and even he is gone from the show now. Bummer. Gilbert's obscure impressions were (and are) absolutely hilarious. And he has that rare ability to push things way beyond the boundaries of the socially acceptable and yet seem more like a little kid than a thug about it.

16. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    Was this on TV like this? Never saw it before.

17. BethWeave

BethWeave Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard IS a miserable old fuck.

baci, Getoninja and Divorce Chicken like this.
  18. Getoninja

Getoninja Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Stern was mad with Gilbert when he licked the cupcakes and spit on the floor/walls in the halls of Sterns studio. But what Gilbert did, shouldn't surprise Howard or the staff or anybody, that's Gilbert for you. And Gilbert was on the show after that incident but it was only once and that was it.

And Gilberts has been with the show since the 80s and given lots of great content to the show even when Stern went to Sirius. And basically has become family to the show and for all this, Howard has finally kicked him to the curve.
    Seriously what a fuckd up thing to do.

And I love how he bashes Simon Cowel, Imus, Jay Leno, or others cause Stern is basically no different, same type of asshole, just a different day

19. Vincenzo69

Vincenzo69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Why wouldn't Marci Turk like a short, ugly offensive guy like Gilbert?

20. MobyDick

MobyDick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    And a guest in 2016 could say "Oh, I'm doing The Howard Stern Show tomorrow, and people would go "Who?"