News Girl To Stand Trial For Urging Boyfriend To Commit Suicide Via Text

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Jul 1, 2016.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Teen who urged suicide via text will stand trial, court rules
    BOSTON -- A teenage Massachusetts girl who sent her boyfriend dozens of text messages encouraging him to take his own life and who allegedly told him to "get back in" a truck filled with carbon monoxide fumes must stand trial for involuntary manslaughter, the state's highest court ruled Friday.

The Supreme Judicial Court ruled Friday that a grand jury had probable cause to indict Michelle Carter, then 17, in the 2014 death of Conrad Roy III, 18.

[​IMG]
    Conrad Roy, left, and Michelle Carter

CBS Boston
    Carter's lawyer had argued that her texts were free speech protected by the First Amendment and did not cause Roy to kill himself.

But the court, in a strongly worded decision, said the grand jury heard evidence suggesting that Carter engaged in a "systematic campaign of coercion" that targeted Roy's insecurities and that her instruction to "get back in" his truck in the final moments of his life was a "direct, causal link" to his death.

"In sum, we conclude that there was probable cause to show that the coercive quality of the defendant's verbal conduct overwhelmed whatever willpower the eighteen year old victim had to cope with his depression, and that but for the defendant's admonishments, pressure, and instructions, the victim would not have gotten back into the truck and poisoned himself to death," Justice Robert Cordy wrote for the court in the unanimous, 7-0 ruling.

The case drew national attention after transcripts of text messages Carter sent to Roy were released publicly, showing her urging him to follow through on his plan to kill himself and chastising him when he expressed doubts.

"I thought you wanted to do this. The time is right and you're ready, you just need to do it!" Carter wrote in one message.

"You can't think about it. You just have to do it. You said you were gonna do it. Like I don't get why you aren't," she wrote in another message.

The teens had met in Florida two years earlier while visiting relatives. Their relationship largely consisted of text messages and emails. They hadn't seen each other in more than a year when Roy died, even though they lived only about 50 miles apart in Massachusetts, Carter in Plainville, and Roy in Mattapoisett.

Roy's grandmother, Janice Roy, said the family is happy the court ruled in favor of prosecutors and Carter can now be put on trial for manslaughter in her grandson's death.

"He was very vulnerable at that stage," she said of her grandson in the weeks before his death.

"I hope justice will be served," said Roy's grandfather, Conrad Roy Sr.

Carter's lawyer, Joseph Cataldo, did not immediately return a call seeking comment Friday. He argued previously that Roy was a depressed teenager who had previously tried to take his own life and was determined to finish the job this time. He also argued that Carter should not have been charged with manslaughter because Massachusetts does not have a law against encouraging or assisting suicide.

In addition to the text messages, prosecutors focused on a phone conversation Carter allegedly had with Roy while he was in his truck inhaling carbon monoxide fumes. Prosecutors said Carter sent a text message to one of her friends after Roy's death and told her that while she was on the phone with Roy, he got out of his truck because he became frightened. She said she told him to "get back in."

Gregg Miliote, a spokesman for Bristol District Attorney Thomas Quinn III, said prosecutors appreciate the court's decision to uphold a lower court's denial of Carter's motion to dismiss the charge against her. They now will focus on preparing for trial, he said.

2. ChimneySweep

ChimneySweep Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    total bitch, but it is amazing that she could be held responsible for his actions. I now my wife doesn't listen to a fucking thing I tell her to do.

FlatTimmy, mape, Wiggy and 1 other person like this.
  3. a mysterious man

a mysterious man Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    FIVE HEAD!

Tmmy Sirianni and Bobbowl like this.
  4. RONNIE THE CLAW

RONNIE THE CLAW Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    She didn't cause him to take his life, but she could have influenced him to get help, she could have offered hope, she could have said it will be OK and I am with you and will help you get through this...instead she chose her speech and she had no right or license to say that stuff to this poor desperate boy.

cetiya likes this.
  5. Quality Control

Quality Control dove Gold

Reputations:
    What a tragic story. That poor kid.

TheMercenary and LaserT like this.
  6. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I don't know about this
    but she's got some nothing/evil in her and i'm ok if she spends time in a cage

Wiggy and Sleep like this.
  7. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The power of pussy

Chrisboom and blackcrystal61 like this.
  8. Mojopin

Mojopin Resplendent in his frock VIP

Reputations:
    Wow. That is one evil little bitch.

Wiggy, LaserT and Sleep like this.
  9. Mr Sinister

Mr Sinister Gold

Reputations:
    i hope this is all she kept texting him

[​IMG]

10. cygnus2112

cygnus2112 In The Prep Room

Reputations:
    $20 says thats she's in glasses, hair in a bun and a nice pantsuit while on trial.

Donkeyboy2190 likes this.
  11. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    :jj:

I was gonna say, I wonder if the do it faggot meme gets brought up

Mr Sinister likes this.
  12. ChimneySweep

Reputations:
    BTW, my buddy once put a baby in a psycho bitch who was sweet as hell to him until he gave her the puppy she was after. About 7 months in she did a total 180 and started breaking it off and saying unbelievable horrible shit. She basically wanted a pet and not a guy and expected him to pay for the kid (which he still does). I guess he seemed an easy mark since he had a long-time, steady job. Well, bingo! he unexpectedly lost the job and she kept telling him he was a worthless fucking piece of shit and that he should just kill himself so at least then the baby would get some money from him. Total sociopath behavior. cunt

FlatTimmy likes this.
  13. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Courtroom shots, not sure which is today.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Chrisboom and SillyOldMan like this.
  14. Quality Control

Quality Control dove Gold

Reputations:
    Stankface.

15. SleepingWarrior

SleepingWarrior Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Man I dunno. The girl is a cunt to be sure but I'm generally wary of people being prosecuted for suggesting people do something when the acts are the crime not the speech.

FlatTimmy likes this.
  16. Wangold

Wangold Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He's the ultimate cuck.

17. Trainwreckjm

Trainwreckjm Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    She's not being held responsible for his actions; she's being held responsible for hers.

RaeRae likes this.
  18. blackcrystal61

blackcrystal61 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If the texts and convo is as bad as it sounds, then she is most likely going to jail. If she knew and they can prove that she had knowledge that he was mentally unstable or depressed, she won't have a chance. If I was her, I would try to cop a plea without going to trial. They are going to make an example out of her as they should. How can you convince and persuade someone to kill themselves and call that free speech?

19. ChimneySweep

Reputations:
    Wow, deep man.

Would she be in court if he was alive?

20. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    She will see this in her sleep for a long time to come. I bet down the line she takes her own life.

Turkeyneck likes this.