Politics Give me your thought/opinion on how much cops and teachers should be paid

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shivvy, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Shivvy

Shivvy 100k Post Club

Reputations:
    I think both of those jobs should be no less than 60k a year to start

Droog, Gusbuss, FosterKitten and 4 others like this.
  2. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:
    Lots of fringe benefits cum with being a teacher these days. Nudge nudge, wink wink

3. Tickle Shits

Tickle Shits Special Needs Typist. Gold

Reputations:
    Almost every teacher I know is paid at least 60k. There are a few that make less (art ,music).

I think 60k is about right for a government worker. They should not have a pension though and should be subject to the same 401k bullshit like everyone else.

4. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    The pension and benefits make up for the shitty pay where I work. I'm ok with that.

Droog, stanggirl, babybear and 2 others like this.
  5. FunnyFarm2

FunnyFarm2 voice of reason VIP Gold

Reputations:
    A cop should make as much as me. A teacher should be no less than $60,000 as long as she/he has a good teaching record.

Turbongr and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.
  6. Dave Jones

Dave Jones Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The Toronto police top the list for the city, employing 4,638 officers who each earn more than $100,000 per year.

7. Walygatr

Walygatr Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I saw a teacher that retired when I graduated HS in 1981 at the post office a while back. He has been retired for 35 years. Take whatever they make and double it.

Gusbuss likes this.
  8. Tickle Shits

Reputations:
    The problem is that pension destroy every community. I know a "early" retired teacher who receives 115k a year in her pension and now the school hired her back for a total of 180k a year. That is insane and no school district should be subject to that abuse. Pensions are the main reason that the postoffice is going broke. guaranteed pension are just not sustainable. It's kicking the can down the road.

Birddog likes this.
  9. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    if they willingly joined a teacher's union, $1.25 an hour. If not in a union, at least 40K starting for grade school for those who are truly qualified. there is some useless shit, making too much money, floating around those unions. :hat:

the problem is, 40k in some areas is decent money, 40k in others is barely enough to pay the basic bills.

cops should be paid more than they are and i have no idea how much that is. our society is devolving and it will continue to do so. evil, white, western societies will end up in the dustbin of history though so that will be a major win for humanity :yay: !!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    ScottBaiosPenis likes this.
  10. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I say give the teachers excellant pay , but they have to be the best. #31 in education is not gonna cut the mustard. Leaving no kid behind has to stop also.

stanggirl and sstressed like this.
  11. vaporizer

vaporizer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I always like the idea that teachers should be paid more, but if it's the same crop of teachers that we currently have that would get this pay bump then I say no way. I think there are so many teachers in the system that are there for no other reason than they have tenure and they seriously just don't give a fuck anymore. Just to stick it to those ass holes I'd start a new program where any new teacher that is coming into the workforce would get the older teacher's tenured pay as a starting point and raises every year after that following a review process.

How many times have you heard, "oh...I'll be okay...I'll just get into teaching..."

I don't have kids but it freaks me out to think that if I did I'd be sending them into a system filled with retarded nudniks that don't really know their ass from thier elbow.

sstressed likes this.
  12. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Cops depend on busts as they have to go to court, thats where they make a lot of money [over time ] Im in central jersey a lot of them are making 100+ a year or close to it.

13. Tickle Shits

Reputations:
    Lets not forget the amout of vacation that teachers get and that's why 60k is a very good salary. They get 2.5 month in the summer. 1 week at christmas 1 week for easter and every government holiday off. That's pretty awesome right there.

BethSucks, dawg, yaddc and 1 other person like this.
  14. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Cops and teachers have really hi stress jobs. Cops have the highest suicide rate in the country.
    They should be paid a lot. @IfTheyOnlyKnew

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  15. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Ya forgot all the Jewish holidays

Tickle Shits likes this.
  16. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    since their salaries are paid with tax payer dollars, it's up to the taxpayers

SuperFarts and Tickle Shits like this.
  17. DABA

DABA Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Half of my teachers would sit at their desk and check out ESPN.com and not even teach the lesson plan for the day. I get that being a teacher is a pain in the ass job, however, they get 3 months off in the summer, spring break, all federal holidays, and Christmas vacation. Not to shabby for $60,000

18. azman5103

azman5103 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You guys have to keep in mind how much teacher salaries can differ from state to state. Its very easy to point to a teacher making 80K+, talk about benefits and time off and paint one picture...but that is not the norm.

I'm a middle school teacher in AZ. Starting pay in my district is 30k, and you can max out the scale after 30 years with a Master's degree plus 30 hours at 63k.

My take home pay is 2k a month during the school year, nothing during the summer...we only get paid while we are in school/days worked. Yes I have a retirement plan, that I am forced to contribute 11% of my pay too and is matched by the state.

I certainly wont complain about having Christmas off and other government holidays...but as far as summer goes...for many teachers it is a furlough where then need a 2nd job, not a vacation.

I like my job. I am not going to sit here and say that all teachers deserve a huge salary, but it is always annoying that you only EVER hear about the shitty teachers, at the top of the pay scale in a high paying state...and that becomes the national image of the "overpaid lazy teacher". Honestly, if eliminate a few select states from the picture, the truth is that most teachers are making a very humble living compared to the job they do.

Turbongr, Shivvy, stanggirl and 5 others like this.
  19. spark888

spark888 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Depends where in the country but they should be paid a wage that puts them in standard middle class bracket. They should be able to make enough for a decent home, go on regular vacations, and an average car.

They should not be scrapping by if they are responsible with money and they should not be able to rent beach front homes, own 4,000 sq/ft homes or purchase cars over $40,000. All of this all depends on what the spouse does.

20. larryluncg

larryluncg Empty VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Teachers here are making $100k +.
    Overpaid IMO @KOC