Global warming?...Yes, but with a caveat

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I believe it's just a natural occurance..I don't believe we could fuck up this planet if we tried..

Oh, and in the northeast, we had one of the nicest and coolest summers i can remember this past year

NASA, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration report 2014 as hottest year on record
    It's the third time in a decade that the Earth's temperature has broken previous records, a trend scientists predict will continue as the planet warms. They blamed the record on greenhouse gas emissions.
    BY Dan Friedman
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Friday, January 16, 2015, 6:53 PM

[​IMG]
    WASHINGTON - The heat is on like never before.

NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration reported Friday that 2014 was the hottest year since record-keeping began in 1880.

"The globe is warmer now than it has been in the last 100 years and more likely in at least 5,000 years," said Rutgers University climate scientist Jennifer Francis.

It's the third time in a decade that the Earth's temperature has broken previous records, a trend scientists predict will continue as the planet warms.

They blamed the record on greenhouse gas emissions.

[​IMG] DEA / M. SANTINI/De Agostini/Getty Images NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration reported Friday that 2014 was the hottest year since record-keeping began in 1880. Pictured are chunks of ice detaching from glacier in Greenland.
    "The long-term trends are attributable to drivers of climate change that right now are dominated by human emissions of greenhouse gases," said Gavin Schmidt, director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies.

Climate scientists said the findings are striking because 2014 was not an El Niño year — a global weather pattern that helps increase temperatures. Annual heat records in 2010 and 2005 were attributed partly to El Niño.

The oceanic administration said six months last year, including December, were the hottest on record.

The rising heat was mostly concentrated over oceans, which saw their highest surface temperatures ever recorded.

[​IMG] michal_staniewski/Getty Images/iStockphoto Climate scientists said the findings are striking because 2014 was not an El Niño year — a global weather pattern that helps increase temperatures.
    Most of the world's land, including the northeastern United States, didn't have record-breaking heat, though some locations including Great Britain did have record temperatures.

President Obama and British Prime Minister David Cameron cited what Obama called “the international fight against climate change” as being among their top areas of cooperation during a joint news conference Friday.

They touted efforts to reach a international deal at a summit in Paris next December on reducing greenhouse gases.

Skeptics who doubt the connection between climate change and human activity — a group that includes many Republican lawmakers — largely ignored Friday’s report.

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) said Thursday that he would “let the scientists debate the sources” of temperature increases, while faulting administration climate change efforts for killing jobs.

Boehner did not comment on Friday’s report.

The new findings align with reports by Japan’s weather agency and an independent group at the University of California Berkeley. Both also measured 2014 as the hottest on record.

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  2. Butcher

Butcher ?

Reputations:
    Those nuts are trying way too hard now that the jig is up :artiejj:

3. Captainjapan

Captainjapan Member

Reputations:
    If it's real, factual science, why can't politicians agree on it? Pretty sure they are all lying shitheads.

x76 likes this.
  4. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
  5. The Booey

The Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but they lost me when they started arguing that falling temperatures were proof of warming.

6. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Seriously? That's the litmus test for truth now? :facepalm:

7. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i understand why politicians lie, but i dont understand why ppl on chat forums do

8. yahoo

yahoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I never lie in a message post.

Sorry. Got to go. My model girlfriend just got home from Europe and she's begging me do do her doggie style.

kingship, Ashbeard and x76 like this.
  9. Rum Balls

Rum Balls VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  10. I invented that

I invented that VIP Extreme Gold POTY Politics

Reputations:
    Wow, the sky is falling:jj:

2014 was warmer than 2010 by .04°.
    Nasa's report claims the margin of error is +/- .05° therefore the 04° increase is statistically insignificant since it falls within the margin of error.:coffee:

11. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
  12. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  13. beetlejack

beetlejack Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Dennis Miller points out that they use the temperature 100 years ago as a baseline, and how accurate could those measurements be 100 years ago? I have 2 thermometers in my garage that differ as much as 12 degrees at any time. Wasn't the science settled when they called it Global warming? Now that we're in a cooling period you have to call it climate change. It's interesting that the founder of Greenpeace left the group due to the political direction they were going in. He says no scientific studies can get any funding unless they tie the study to climate change somehow. I'm all for respecting our planet and fighting pollution but I'm old enough to remember that it was said we would all freeze to death in the 80's.

14. I invented that

I invented that VIP Extreme Gold POTY Politics

Reputations:
    According to NASA pre 1900 measurements have a margin of error = to +/- .10°. For the dummies that's double the current margin of error.

1Vegasgirl and Chicken Soda like this.
  15. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    other than a handful of days every summer I wouldn't complain if temps jumped up by ten or so degrees

this awful cold really dries my skin out like a bastard--add the terrible habits of nose picking and nail biting and i'm a scabby bleeding mess

ltd86 likes this.
  16. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Same here. When it went from "global warming " to "global climate change", and the fact they use the average daily temperature as what the temperature should be. The average temperature is just the average taken over the past 30 years.

17. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    and yet the antarctic ice shelf is smashing all time ice cover records year after year. Those numbers are manipulated the same as the co2 and temp climb being hand in hand were for the last 15 years.

18. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The only problem people have with global warming is that there's a race to prove its existence, instead of trying to observe whether or not it exists. There's a huge difference between the two.

TeeDonkey, kingship and Head Censor like this.
  19. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    Yes, I have major problems with this - and by extension, the way these climatologists completely abuse the scientific method. The results of any experiment can only ever be as valid as the researcher's ability to control their variables. Despite their strenuous objections to the contrary, I find it highly unlikely that the scientists of the AGW Industrial Complex have even identified all the variables impacting their field of study, much less adequately controlled for them. Computer modeling is great, but it has its limitations in a system as open as our climate.

20. x76

x76 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's total bullshit and a means to control the Sheeple -- BELIEVE THE VILLAGE WITCH DOCTOR!!! -- fuck 'em, it's horseshit meant to attract research $$$$$. Look at Al Gore and his mentor. Look at Al Gore's bottom line. "Man-made climate change"? Yeah, right.

My favorite climate change joke: a mouse is fucking an elephant which is marching through the jungle. The elephant hits its head on a branch and goes "Ow!" to which the mouse replies "Yeah, take it all, bitch." Mankind is the mouse if you're dense. "Man-made climate change"? I don't think so.