Going Clear - Any Shedders actually know a Scientologist?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Javaforgotme, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Javaforgotme

Javaforgotme Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I just watch the HBO Documentary "Going Clear" last night. It was truely captivating.

I always thought any idiot who wants to join that kooky cult deserved what they got. I remember driving through downtown Clearwater in the late 1980's and seeing all these 20-somethings walking around and dressed like they were in the Navy. I knew they were Scientologists, but didn't know what that meant. Now Clearwater has this new huge Scientology center.

These guys have amassed a $2B fortune - all without paying taxes.

Do any shedders know a Scientologiest practitioner? Are they as kooky as portrayed in the documentary.

BTW - SNL did a spoof of Scientology last night - that is kind of a parody of a part of the documentary - in Going Clear they show parts of the music video that SNL made fun of. And in many ways SNL did in 3 minutes what Going Clear tries to achieve in over an hour.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/neurotology-music-video/2857083

2. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Missed the whole South Park thing huh?

At least they mentioned it by name.............

Shortwave98, JameGumb and Drungle like this.
  3. Rocinante

Rocinante Well-Endowed Member Gold

Reputations:
    I would refuse to have a friend or even an acquaintance that believed in that idiocy.

BTW, I hooked up my multimeter that I use for my car to my ear and asshole, and I got better results than they do with their meters.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  4. underbocky

underbocky Active Member

Reputations:
    i dont think we are supposed o talk about religion here at dawgs:dontknow:
    anyway, i live down the road from the base and i know a guy. he is well known in punk rock. he asked a mutual friend to go with him to the anti psychiatry museum they have in hollywood and i warned him not to go. generally youll find them
    to be very keen and smart but some kind of fatal uber geekiness and ego inflating during the process of scientology that exploits personality flaws. i think with him you can sense that he looks down on all others and it doesent take much for that to come out in his personality fairly quickly in any conversation. he will always say or do something to ensure he has imposed his theta on the room. but he is super smart, talented and successful :dontknow:

5. Winston Ono

Winston Ono Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  6. Chibbs

Chibbs Well-Known Member

Reputations:

I have an old friend from the neighborhod who is a Scietologist.
    He lives in Glendale and gets a fair amount of acting working for TV and print.
    He's relatively new to Scientology and showed it when he wished LR Hubbard a hapy birthday.

He still doesn't know that LR Hubbard was a convicted felon with multiple convictions for fraud.
    Scientology is nothing more than a money grab based on recruiting weak-minded people.
    It's a cult and nothing more.

Even France outlawed them as a cult.
    http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/...france-labels-scientology-business-not-church

7. Javaforgotme

Javaforgotme Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Oooops you are right - I wasn't thinking about Scientology as a religion. I was really thinking about the documentary and SNL spoof.

Mulletude likes this.
  8. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    No problem, cuz that's really a glorified cult, not a real religion

SalsMasterShake and Head Censor like this.
  9. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
  10. BatmiteReturns

BatmiteReturns Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I thought it was boring. I fell asleep on it four times and finally made it through the 5th time.

It was a bit interesting about them holding the people captive but it really didn't grab my attention.

Zelda likes this.
  11. Patron

Patron Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I have a fantasy of one day joining a cult...I hear cult women are easy

12. One Fat Vegan

One Fat Vegan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Nope, I would love to so I could pick their brain. I would pay to see Tom Cruise talk about Lord Xenu and all the alien stuff. I just can't believe he really believes all that shit.

cetiya likes this.
  13. Patron

Patron Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He doesn't...It's the greatest tax shelter ever and his greatest acting job...he really is a genius

DiamondGoddess likes this.
  14. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Scientology is one of the great hand palms of human history. I can kinda see how most of the other fucked up things happened. But Scientology. How the hell does that happen? It's like a sitcom joke scenario. A Sci-Fi writer can't hack it, so he decides to start a religion based on some completely lazy, crazy and stupid ancient alien story and dumbass celebrities eat it up. Watching Cruise saluting giant Hubbard pictures and wearing metals, it's like something you'd see in a Simpsons episode.

stanggirl, blindbella, cetiya and 8 others like this.
  15. UpInSmoke123

UpInSmoke123 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Only for the leadership. You? The new guy? They'll just tell you to cut your nuts off.

16. Howards Wig

Howards Wig Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well, they told him they could cure the gay out of him. How could he not join. I think I am supposed to add an "allegedly" here.

stanggirl and DiamondGoddess like this.
  17. killallposers

Reputations:
    I don't buy that. Wasn't he already involved before the tax exemption? I don't know what he actually believes, but I think he's a nutty egomaniac and scientology was his place to be a very big fish in a very little sea. He eats that shit up and comes away feeling like he is of great importance. Hollywood wasn't a small enough sea for him and he wasn't a big enough fish to always be held above the rest. In Scientology, he's treated as a god. Instead of king baby, he's god baby.

SalsMasterShake and DuckDong like this.
  18. killallposers

Reputations:
    In current Punk Rock or from back in the day?

19. austin54

austin54 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard ripped them off. They were the first to ask lie detector gay questions.

DiamondGoddess and smichal like this.
  20. @nal surprise

@nal surprise Member

Reputations:
    Going Clear reveals a lot of very pertinent things regarding Scientology, and I give credit to Paul Haggis and everyone else who had nothing to gain and a lot to lose by contributing to the documentary...

...however, Paul (and everyone else) really does gloss over what DREW him to the thing in the first place. He talks about how the auditing made him feel genuinely better, and I believe that he believes that, but that's all stuff that happens once you're in. I seriously doubt that the promise of spiritual cleansings is what made him donate large chunks of his paychecks.

What the movie glosses over is that all of these people succumbed to the promise of having an advantage over others in a very crowded Hollywood industry, where riches lie just one part or one script option away. That's what drew them in : they were paying large chunks of their salaries in exchange for this "secret society" nonsense, where you'd get to cut in line because Scientologists were everywhere, at every level of industry.

I don't see Paul or anyone else apologizing for THAT... for saying "yes" when the crooked man offered a short-cut to the end of the race, while others did not join... either because they were unaware of what Scientology was promising, or because they simply wanted to succeed or fail on their own merits.

Don't get me wrong, not passing judgment, here... were I an actor or director, and someone offered ME a little advantage to counter the Jewish DIS-advantage (ie, I'm not Jewish), I'd probably succumb to the temptation myself. I'm just saying it's an embarrassing aspect of what draws people to Scientology that they totally avoided talking about. They made it all about "cleansing" yourself, not the quasi-Illuminati-like power they offered.