Going Clear on HBO

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by wetback, Mar 29, 2015.

1. wetback

wetback #1 Asshole VIP

Reputations:
    Anyone watching or going to watch? Documentary on scientology.

Summer likes this.
  2. ChuckZ

ChuckZ You're so pusillanimous, oh yea.

Reputations:
    Watched it, good & scary stuff, don't join.

3. jonpow

jonpow Tennessee Jed VIP

Reputations:
    :up: Great expose

Summer, wetback and ChuckZ like this.
  4. x76

x76 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Didn't they stuff a rattlesnake into somebody's mailbox back in '78? Nice people, nothing bad to say about them. Anything else, Robin?

BethsFeet and DarkFriday like this.
  5. LonghornJ

LonghornJ VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Watched it... wasn't impressed.

Sure, this Miscavige guy seems like a scumbag but is he any worse than a kid diddling Catholic priest?

So a bunch of idiots got duped out of money. Big whoop.

The biggest issue I saw was during their petition to get tax exempt was the fact that a church is tax exempt because they're supposed to give away all their money in the form of charity.

Well, our illustrious Federal government has removed all the motivation required for such admirable causes by taking over the "social safety net" with welfare, Medicare, EBT, etc etc

So there are plenty of fat and happy tax exempt churches sitting out there running rough shod over the community at large.

It ain't just the weirdos listening to Tom Cruise.

Thank you.

6. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
    : oy:

ChuckZ likes this.
  7. Summer

Summer Shed Punisher VIP

Reputations:
    The tax exempt thing is such a scam. I went to a raw foods spa for a week and later found out they call themselves a church for the tax exemption. There was nothing church like about it.

8. jason long

jason long Active Member

Reputations:
    Their membership is at an all time low at < 50,000. They said John Travolta tried to leave but the cult then blackmailed him with releasing his "auditing" sessions so he had no choice but to stay. I'm sure his homosexual experiences are on those records which he desperately doesn't want released. And you would think Tom Cruise would be above all this abuse/harassment but I guess he's benefiting so why should he care.

Great documentary from Gibney. Hopefully it helps spark some change from this disillusioned David Miscaviage character.

wetback likes this.
  9. LonghornJ

Reputations:
    And for hbo's high minded critique they're airing Edge of Tomorrow, starring one Tom Cruise, again next Monday.

Fake assholes :jj:

wetback likes this.
  10. LonghornJ

Reputations:
    Spark what change? Its a pyramid scheme... every church is.

Stew Nod likes this.
  11. jason long

jason long Active Member

Reputations:
    I don't have a problem with pyramid schemes existing. If you're dumb enough to join one, then you should be allowed to. But unlike every other pyramid scheme, Scientology abuses its members in the worst of ways. Yes, other churches have had sexual abuse charges and thats just as bad but for instance, Scientology took a baby from one of its members and neglected it by leaving it in a urine soak crib. It separates families by using the "disconnection" clause. Some parents haven't seen their OWN children in over 15 years. They forcefully broke up Tom Cruise from Kidman and tried to arrange a marriage for Tom with a young Scientologist. They ran a prison camp called "The Hole" where some members were forced to clean toilet bowls with their tongue and toothbrushes. They forced members to work 30 hours on 3 hours off to do slave labor. They launched Operation Freak against Paulette Cooper where they tried to frame her with felony charges and hire a hitman to kill her which the FBI investigated. I won't even get into the physical abuse of the church because it's so commonplace there's too many cases to cover. Or the surveillance harassment that they launched on the wife of one of its top defectors by filming/following their every move for years, including buying the property directly across from them and setting up cameras in all the windows.

So yeah, of they could *CHANGE* those practices, that'd be a nice start. If the Catholic church would change their abuse of its members, that'd also be nice but I believe they have at least taken steps towards that. David Miscavige is completely insane and unless Tom Cruise or the IRS steps up, nothing will change.

@LonghornJ, what are you not seeing here that I should explain more clearly? You're point that all church's are pyramid schemes doesn't hold much water in the arguments I'm trying to make.

12. LonghornJ

Reputations:
    Wasn't that the entire point of the documentary? The people that had been duped finally waking up and realizing that they shouldn't force their own poor decisions on their children?

That crosses the entire spectrum of organized religion for me. Scientology is just nit picking.

13. Bubbleguts420

Bubbleguts420 2 word review, shit sandwich

Reputations:
    Thought it would be better.
    Now bring on Silicon Valley already!!

wetback and Gogol Boobdello like this.
  14. jason long

jason long Active Member

Reputations:
    Thats true but all other religions allow you the opportunity to leave. This cult doesn't allow its members to break relations... easily. First, everyone has to sign an NDA. Then any of their family that remains in the cult is not permitted to speak with any family that has left. These people who do stay are so brainwashed, they can't think for themselves thus believe anything and everything their told. Last, if you say anything bad about Scientology you are subject to what the cult calls "Fair Game" if you want to look it up which is basically nonstop harassment for the rest of your life. Marty Ratburn from the documentary is a perfect example of that. He says every flight he takes, he is greeted with cameras and private investigators from the cult.

If you try to leave your church, they probably wouldn't even know, let alone stalk you or make you sign papers.

15. LonghornJ

Reputations:
    So don't sign up... duh

The victimization mentality of adults that should have known better just reeks to me.

They said it point blank in the doc, "who would believe this shit?" if it were laid out plain at the start.

I have no sympathy for any of them.

16. SorryBoff

SorryBoff Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    All religion is for brainwashed idiots, why is scientology any different? Scientologists need to start wearing funny hats, that'll give them legitimacy.

17. LonghornJ

Reputations:
    One of the more amazing things about this whole expose is the leverage the church subjects seem to feel that the church still has hanging over their heads...

Like Travolta's career would be ruined if he finally came out of the closet. Wow, what a shocker that would be.

Nobody gives a fuck anymore... but like they said in the doc, that sense of shame is what the church profits from.

18. Chigs

Chigs The finest in the Nation VIP

Reputations:

Im chomping at the bit for this!

19. jason long

jason long Active Member

Reputations:
    Most of the current members signed up many years ago when they were promised one thing then the cult pulled bait and switch tactics on them. But how do you tell this to the hundreds of Sea Org kids who were born into the religion? They are getting brainwashed from the start, they weren't even given a choice. Many of these kids go to the Sea Org schools in Florida and California where they just study L Ron Hubbard, NONE of them even get a highschool diploma.

20. LonghornJ

Reputations:
    Well yeah, those kids are fucked.

I just viewed the doc through the lens of the adults that were wise enough to leave... and I agree that hopefully this film is enough to break the back of the organization and put them on a similar radar as Warren Jeffs