News Grainy images show Tasmanian tiger didn’t go extinct 80 years ago, group claims.

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by billyc, Sep 20, 2016.

1. billyc

billyc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    http://news.nationalpost.com/news/w...rs-ago-group-claims-it-isnt-a-bloody-kangaroo

The last known Tasmanian tiger died in 1936. His name was Benjamin and, accordingto the Australian government, his keeper at Tasmania’s Hobart Zoo forgot to lock him in his hut on a September evening. By morning, Benjamin was dead from exposure and Australia’s “most mysterious animal” was extinct.

In the ensuing 80 years, however, reports of sightings across Tasmania and parts of mainland Australia have been challenging the official position that the Tasmanian tiger is no more. This month, a group of enthusiasts reinvigorated hopes that the animal lives, uploading two videos that it claims show Tasmanian tigers lurking in southern Australia.

The first video, reportedly shot this year, shows a blurry figure darting through a residential neighbourhood in Adelaide Hills, South Australia. The other video, apparently shot on film in 2008, shows a dog-sized animal with a stiff tail trotting through a field in the state of Victoria.

The Tasmanian tiger is not a tiger. It’s commonly called a tiger due to the distinctive black stripes on its tail and hind quarters, though it is actually a cousin to the Tasmanian devil. It’s officially called a thylacine — a “quiet, nervous,” marsupial resemblant of a long dog with a big head, the Tasmania Parks and Wildlife Service says.

The Thylacine Awareness Group, which posted the two videos, pointed to black stripes and stiff tails on the animals which it claims could only belong to a thylacine.

“It’s not a dog. It’s not a fox,” amateur researcher Neil Waters, the founder of the Thylacine Awareness Group, wrote in aFacebook post. “It certainly isn’t a bloody Kangaroo. It’s a Thylacine.”

Experts have been more skeptical, saying the videos are far from conclusive.

“I think it would have to be extremely unlikely,” Catherine Kemper, a senior researcher at South Australian Museum,told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

A confirmed thylacine sighting in Victoria or the Adelaide Hills would be particularly extraordinary since thylacines have been considered extinct on mainland Australia for some 2,000 years. In modern times, they were confined to the island state of Tasmania, until Benjamin’s demise 80 years ago.

Jonathan Downes, the founder of the U.K.-based organization devoted to studying “mystery animals” like bigfoot, has sent three expeditions to Australian on the trail of the thylacine since 2013. So far, his organization, the Centre for Fortean Zoology, has only collected eyewitness reports of sightings. “Nobody would be happier than me if we had a piece of conclusive footage,” Downes told the National Post. But these two videos are not it, he said.
    “An uncorroborated video doesn’t really prove anything,” he said.

“Unfortunately, the proof you’re going to need is going to have to be tissue that we can get DNA from. Which means, the most likely way the thylacine will proved to exist — and I’m sure it does (exist) — is it will be roadkill one day.”

“Of all the mystery animals in the world, I personally believe that the thylacine is the one most likely to be found.”

In an interview with an Australian podcast, Neil Waters, whose group posted the videos, called on skeptics in the scientific community to help, rather than criticize.

“Nothing’s definitive,” Waters told Tasmania Talks. “But science is demanding a dead body or some sort flesh that’s fresh … What we’re saying to science is, ‘Can you give us a hand, please?'”

sstressed and BrerJimmy like this.
  2. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    game changer

3. ljc

ljc fish sucks on the stick Gold

Reputations:
    not as rare as a battle kat
    [​IMG]

4. BrerJimmy

BrerJimmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That's pretty strong video. Very cool if true. It's been awhile since we had a coelocanth.

honestmaxx likes this.
  5. Cookie_Puss

Cookie_Puss Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This is gonna sound totally stupid but I had no idea there was a Tasmanian anything with out the the Tasmania devil in the cartoons. Until OPs post I had never heard of that shit until the cartoon.

6. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    something new to hunt!! :yay:

7. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There have been tons of searches for this animal for decades, I hope they find one but I am very skeptical. The govt put a bounty on these animals and that pretty much whiped them out. They were very cool animals wish there were still some around

8. billyc

billyc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I doubt the videos are legit but since we have a few well preserved specimens/relatively un-damaged DNA we could possibly bring them back. If they are still alive there is a better chance they are roaming around Tasmania verses the Australian mainland.

9. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    I've been hungry for some Tasmanian tiger. Looks like a trip to Australia is in order.

10. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Feel the Gern

Reputations:
    Welcome back, motherfucker

:lo5:

11. jokeland

jokeland Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    fucker just doesn't know when to die

sstressed likes this.