Great phone screener for the Wrap Up Show

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Phantom Lord, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Phantom Lord

Phantom Lord Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    After the abortion that has been the Stern show for the last 4 weeks, and will be the for next 3 weeks with them working a total of 4 days in August, I love the call from the woman they put through on the Wrap Up Show.

Jon says Kristen from Denver is on the line. Her is her statement, "I justed wanted to call and say Howard is an amazing interviewer. Even though there are only 2 shows a week I think they are amazing, they are quality shows. And as a testament to him, and as testament to all of you guys, thanks for keeping us entertained."

That is what they put through as a good call. She didn't have a question. It is one thing to kiss Howard's ass on the air, it's another when the Wrap Up Show screener thinks that this tiny after show should be another Howard Stern jerk off fest.

These have been some of the worst shows ever during these 2 day work weeks. It's pathetic they try to insult everyone even further by throwing these ridiculous Boboesque kiss ass calls on the air.

:rant:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. Rufus

Rufus Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
  3. Mr Vengeance

Mr Vengeance Ladies love cool V. VIP

Reputations:
    Meh....who even cares anymore? If someone with criticism called in and actually got on air and hit them with a "Howard's a lazy fuck with his two day work weeks, shitty content, and only being on air 4 days in August, etc". Booey would go into Hyper-defense mode, start interrupting and saying, "But Howard's always taken a lot of time off in August...He's always taken the last two weeks of August off. Listen, do you go on vacation? What do you do for a living??" and before the guy could get another comment in, his call would be dropped.

4. Phantom Lord

Phantom Lord Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I agree with you, and they have done that many times. My issue is with an after show that runs less than an hour with 3 to 4 commercial breaks. Howard takes enough kiss-ass calls during his show to last the entire month. For the stupid Wrap Up Show, the phone screener should try to get the few callers he has on with interesting questions or topics. You have the show producer in there. Ask him a relevant question or lead him into an interesting story. But for the screener to have somebody call and say, " I want to tell Gary how great the show is," dump that call because that is used by radio hacks to simply hear themself on the air.

5. DBo

DBo New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    The call system that the studios at Sirius use (besides Howard and possibly O&A.. never saw theirs but could imagine they use the same as H) allows for around less than 75 characters under the description, alongside the name and location. So for that call, if I were screening, it'd say "Kristen|Denver|Wants to compliment Howard". There are about 10 openings on the screen before callers get the busy signal. Howard's studio uses a system out in the bullpen ran by Brandano, in which unlimited callers can call and then Brandano rates for relevance. Hosts usually leave up calls until the caller drops or they need to make room in which they have the screeners hop back on and say "Hey man, we're gonna have to move on from the topic. Appreciate the call". We'd screen calls for sound quality mostly and put up anything that doesn't detriment the channels. While I don't agree that any ass kissing call is a good one, I wouldn't lay it all on the screener. Our job was to be as concise as possible and speak (on air) only when spoken to. The biggest fear for a call screener is ridiculous persistence (staying on for the whole show) and dishonesty. If a caller is on for the whole show with a topic that fell out of relativity at the beginning, you know he's only on there to cause trouble or listen for free.

The only call screener I've come across that has a big part on a show was Rahsaan from Ferrall, since the dude could epicly juggle answering and talking at the same time. Scott allowed everybody in the studio to leave their mics open at all times. Brandano doesn't play nearly as huge a part in entertaining for Howard's show as one would believe, as he's getting calls continuously throughout the show.

Also, every semester the guys get new screeners. Once they get used to you, they'll ask you to stay on for the whole semester (I got JJH, JTS and sat in on Ferrall, screening when Rahsaan was out in the field), but right now they're switching over to Fall semester interns so the screener was probably new (hence the good call comment). There is also a strong bias from the hosts to pick up on females, as they call only 10% of the time and want to get a woman's opinion no matter what.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  6. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Employees of the Stern Show have a direct line to the studio. That is why she got through.

You really think that is a real caller?

7. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They have these stupid obvious fake plant calls to try to convince the audience that even a little Howard is the best thing on Earth. This is a ploy to get the sheep who follow Howard no matter how bad his show gets and he pisses on them in line that two days a week of Howard is actually a great thing. Part of it is that Howard a lot of morons and insane people like Bobo, High Pitch, and MaryAnn still following him and Howard and his staff not giving the rest of the fans enough credit that they are intelligent enough to see through the bullshit.

8. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yep, the screeners are interns and so are most of the callers.

9. njguy8

njguy8 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

I definitely hear what you're saying. My questions is, do they all live with their heads in the clouds or are their staffers that actually know, understand and accept what The Howard Stern Show has become.