Politics Gun owners grill Obama at town hall, NRA sits it out

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Jan 8, 2016.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:

President Barack Obama fielded tough questions from gun owners at a televised town hall on Thursday, defending his move to tighten gun rules as he sought to elevate the issue of gun control before the November 2016 election to replace him.

A series of mass shootings has punctuated Obama's time in office, and after he failed to convince Congress to toughen up gun laws, the president said he wanted to have a national debate about guns in his final year in office.

Obama, who said he had never owned a gun, has blamed Congress for being beholden to the National Rifle Association, a powerful lobby group that fights any action that might infringe on Americans' constitutional right to bear arms.

Guns are a potent issue in U.S. politics. The NRA is feared and respected in Washington for its ability to mobilize gun owners. Congress has not approved major gun-control legislation since the 1990s.

The NRA sat out the town hall, aired live on CNN from a university just miles (km) from the group's Virginia headquarters, calling it a "public relations spectacle."

But several gun owners peppered Obama with arguments against his gun rule proposals.

Taya Kyle, widow of U.S. Navy SEAL Chris Kyle who was killed at a gun range and portrayed in the film "American Sniper," said laws would not stop people with criminal intent.

"The problem is that they want to murder," Kyle said.

Kimberly Corban, a survivor of a sexual assault who said she carried a gun to protect herself and her two young children, told Obama that she felt his changes infringed on her rights.

"I have been unspeakably victimized once already, and I refuse to let that happen again to myself or my kids," Corban said.

Obama told Corban his proposals would not make it harder for law-abiding people like her to buy a gun, but could stop some criminals. "You certainly would like to make it a little harder for that assailant to have also had a gun," he said.

Obama announced his latest strategy earlier this week to try to boost background checks for gun buyers, wiping away tears as he remembered the 20 children and six adults gunned down at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, in December 2012.

"It continues to haunt me, it was one of the worst days of my presidency," Obama said on CNN.

'GUN LOBBY'S LIES'

Obama sought tougher laws after the Newtown massacre, but said he was foiled by the NRA.

He has made his changes using his executive powers, enraging Republicans who say he has overstepped his authority.

The White House has said the actions are lawful, although legal challenges are expected.

Obama, who will devote time this year to campaigning for Democrats running for November elections, vowed he would not campaign for any candidate who did not back gun reforms.

"All of us need to demand leaders brave enough to stand up to the gun lobby’s lies," Obama wrote in column in the New York Times that was published on Thursday.

He scoffed at the NRA for skipping the televised forum and said the White House had invited the group to meetings many times, to no avail.

"I'm happy to talk to them, but the conversation has to be based on facts and truth, and what we're actually proposing, not some ... imaginary fiction in which 'Obama's trying to take away your guns,'" Obama said.

Chris Cox, the NRA's chief lobbyist, said he was "not really interested" in talking to Obama.

"He doesn't support the individual right to own a firearm. That's been the position of his Supreme Court nominees, that's been the position of his administration," Cox said on Fox News after the CNN debate.

"So what are we going to talk about - basketball?"

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-obama-guns-idUSKBN0UM0AU20160108

2. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    "Gun lobby's lies"
    :spit:

From the supposed "gun show loophole" to their definition of "children" when citing violent crime statistics, no one tells bigger lies in the gun control debate than the anti-2A advocates. It's been that way for decades.

And we probably need to be very careful in how we describe who did, and who did not, choose to attend this event, given that invitees to this "town hall" meeting were controlled by CNN and the White House - two entities that don't necessarily care equally about all parts of the "town".

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  3. HigherPrimate

HigherPrimate Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm about half though this and surprised that this doesn't seem like a softball interview. President is coming off good so far I think.

4. hypo666

hypo666 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I wonder if Obama has shares in big gun manufacturers, as every time he talks about gun control sales skyrocket. I would believe anything in politics these days.

RenchFries likes this.
  5. Austinchota

Austinchota Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

stanggirl and hypo666 like this.
  6. SorryBoff

SorryBoff Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    All Obama supporters are assholes

7. yahoo

yahoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    #analysis

SorryBoff likes this.
  8. kingofallmessicans

kingofallmessicans Sandy Cunt

Reputations:
    So this came on last night at 5, interrupting the Trump rally. I'm sure that was just a happy coincidence.

If I'm being real, 100% honest, I think I can explain to people with his position why expanded background checks do in fact make it harder for law-abiding citizens to obtain a gun. But just to be clear, I feel Obama is full of shit, and not looking to debate logically. He wants to appeal to emotion, and when it comes to gun laws, emotion has to be taken out of the equation.

So here it is: What if you are an American, who wants to make sure they are mentally healthy and they go to a therapist/psychologist. What if you share occasional suicidal thoughts? Will your right to own a gun be taken away. Obama acknowledged that two-thirds of gun deaths are suicides. What if you already own guns? If you admit to suicidal thoughts, could/would the government take away your right to own a gun?

9. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    It's going to put more of a stigma on going to a shrink. You may lose a constitutional right.

10. Father O'Blivion

Father O'Blivion Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I watched it. Basically, Obama playing a game of 3 card monte. He goes on and on about gun show loopholes, sportsman and background checks, but what he really wants is a ban on all semi automatic weapons. That is completely unacceptable. He praises Australia for disarming its citizens and compared the Sandy Hook tragedy with a knife attack in China. :facepalm:
    The best part was when the one lady pointed out that the murder rate is at an all time low and that gun crimes in general have been dropping for decades and he says "Yeah, but if we can save the life of a child..." Fuck him. I tuned in because I was really hoping he would say something that could help me understand his position. Well, he did. I can only pray that he doesn't seek a position on the Supreme Court someday.
    I will be interested to see LaPierre's response and an explanation as to why the NRA wasn't represented.

11. Gusbuss

Gusbuss VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Taya Kyle still thinks guns are great. I still can't believe her husband was stupid enough to take another nut to a gun range. It seems like the likely scenario happened .

The Jetty, XuXu, Xent and 1 other person like this.
  12. Austinchota

Austinchota Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

13. crazypreacher

crazypreacher reDragon Gold

Reputations:
    Invite-only town hall.

14. Hugh Blowmont

Hugh Blowmont Just be funny

Reputations:
    Here's all you need to know about the EO the President signed:

1. Expanding funding to FBI and ATF for the purpose of improving background checks: This is a good thing. But, he never proposed that to Congress in his spending bill, for 7 years in office, so he's a fucking johnny-come-lately to that party.

2. Making it illegal to transfer a gun over the internet without a background check: Already illegal, has been since the inception of the internet (1968 gun control act makes it illegal on its face). So, complete bullshit on his part. Grandstanding.

3. Redefining what "engaged in the business" means to force all gun sellers to get licenses: Gives the U.S. Department of Justice unlimited power to decided who to go after as the 'definition' is not a definition, it says "as few as two" guns being transferred person-to-person. So, if Grandpa gives his two sons his shotguns, Grandpa goes to jail, if the DOJ decides Grandpa is an asshole.

The bottom line is this: DOJ stats show that nearly 88,000 people who filled out a 4473 (the form needed to buy a gun) lied on their applications and were denied. Lying on that form is a felony, period. Yet, only 44 people were prosecuted, with only 12 actually brought into court by DOJ. 12 million background checks are run a year, 12 people are prosecuted.

So, what the fuck. if you are a criminal, its literally a one in a million chance the DOJ will hunt you down. And yet Obama holds up this EO like its some sort of 'solution'

He demonizes gun owners as 'not loving their children', while Sasha and Malia sleep peacefully every night guarded by hundreds of men and women, WITH GUNS.

Well, fuck him. My kids don't have a staff of bodyguards, they have me and I will be goddamned before that fucker, standing behind a phalanx of his own personal armed security, lectures me, or anyone, about loving my kids.

Head Censor, Fatass, Macro57 and 17 others like this.
  15. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    Staged schlock for the low information Obama voter.

16. Robert Higgins

Robert Higgins Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Taya Kyle needs a man badly

[​IMG]

Austinchota, RenchFries and Wangold like this.
  17. FrstTimeLngTme

FrstTimeLngTme Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    An NRA exec was on Megyn Kelly last night. Apparently they were offered one pre-screened question to Obama and that was it so they didn't even bother.

18. Ving

Ving Well-Known Member

Reputations:

The mass shooting rate is the rate that's going up. So your position is fuck the school kids? Do nothing?

XuXu likes this.
  19. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    define mass shooting

Fatass, Angry Arab, Getoninja and 4 others like this.
  20. kingofallmessicans

kingofallmessicans Sandy Cunt

Reputations:
    Yes, sources please on the claim that mass shooting rates are up. I need to know how YOU define mass shooting as well. Also, since you have not donated to a charity helping starving children today, I can assume your position is fuck the hungry kids?