Guns N' Roses Reunion Tour: no Adler or Sorum on drums

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Ben Dover, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Ben Dover

Ben Dover Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No Izzy, either. If the source is correct, we're going to get Frank Ferrer on drums, and Richard Fortus as the second guitarist. As a GN'R fan, it would have been Heaven to get Adler and Izzy back, but I actually think Ferrer is the best of the drummers that have been part of the band, and Fortus has been with the band for something like 15 years now, so he's stuck it out all through the ups and downs.

[​IMG]
    The Australia-based music website Melodic Rock and whoever wrote this piece, claim that “multiple trusted sources” are saying the so-called Guns N’ Roses reunion will consist of the following musicians:

Axl Rose
    Slash
    Duff McKagan
    Richard Fortus
    Frank Ferrer
    Dizzy Reed

Surprised? Not us! It is something a lot of “nuGN’R” fans support too, as it would be ridiculous to leave the Chinese Democracy album out of the setlist.

This is Axl Rose. When has he gave in to someone else’s wishes? And everybody knows that when Axl was called by the Rock N’ Roll Hall Of Fame in 2012 to be inducted alongside his old bandmates, his condition was for the HOF to let him play with the new members of GN’R. He was denied this chance because the Hall Of Fame wanted to have the exclusive of an original Guns N’ Roses reunion and Axl felt he was being forced into something he didn’t want to do.

In conclusion, these theories don’t sound so crazy and it is highly likely this is how a “reunion” will be launched: in Axl’s terms or nothing

jackieavenger and ZosoHitler like this.
  2. thegroovologist

thegroovologist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  3. Yeahnolisten

Yeahnolisten Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That decision is gonna cost them money. They'll still make a shitload though.

Hoof likes this.
  4. Turtle Man

Turtle Man Hello Darling Gold

Reputations:
    :snicker: Can't wait for the no axl thread

Shortwave98, Wesmantooth and tomg like this.
  5. Turkeyneck

Turkeyneck Howard's got one, not me VIP

Reputations:
  6. Chibbs

Chibbs Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If it's not the original line-up it isn't worth seeing.

7. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    fuck that half bake lineup. if you are gonna do it, do it right

8. Lance Murdock

Lance Murdock Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I get not having two drummers, but why can't they have 3 guitarists?

scoobyla likes this.
  9. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Seeing Guns/Metallica/Motorhead in the Rose Bowl in 1992 is still my favorite concert. But I saw them at the Paradise in Boston in 1987 right before they hit big and they were better. Why? IMHO, Izzy Stradlin. He is arguably one of the most underrated rhythm guitarist in rock history. Gilby Clarke is a very good rhythm guitarist, but is no Izzy.

BTW, I am surprised Clarke isn't playing rhythm guitar on this tour. He and Slash have been tight long after Guns broke up.

I don't know if I will see this version. Axl's voice is shot. The last few times I have seen videos of Slash in concert (other than the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame), there seems something a little off in his playing (could just be me though). But this version of Guns is only slightly closer to the real Guns than what Axl has been trotting out for years.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  10. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i wonder if they will to do the studio versions, or if everyone will try hard to show how evolved they became and it will sound like a hodgepodge of garbage

does anyone know why izzy isnt in?
    he hates them/they hate him/he cant play anymore/he dont care anymore

stanggirl likes this.
  11. Rob0729

Reputations:
    Fortus and Ferrer are both Axl's selections since they have been part of the faux Guns (Axl's solo band) for years. I wonder if Axl pulled a power play with Slash and said that if they get back together that his guys will be part of the group.

I know Izzy has been less interested in reforming the band than Slash claimed prior to the reunion (many people believe Slash wanted to reunite the band, but said otherwise publicly because Axl didn't want to play with Slash and Slash wanted to make it look like it was his decision). So I am not surprised he is not part of the tour. He avoided the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame too. I think he is just done with that chapter of his life.

I am also not surprised that Adler isn't involved. Even though fences have been mended, I am sure there is still some underlying resentment from Axl and Slash from him suing the band. I doubt Axl and Slash are ever going to be close, but they have to put up with each other to actually do a reunion. You cannot do a reunion without Axl or Slash, you can without Adler.

I am kinda surprised that Gilby Clarke and Matt Sorum are not part of it. Both are associated with being members of Guns before they broke up and become the totally Faux Guns. They wouldn't command a full share that Axl, Slash, and Duff McKagan are getting and probably would have been salaried. It would be easier to sell this as Guns reunion with them than with Fortus and Ferrer because at least it was the Use Your Illusion Tour line up.

Fillmore Fingers likes this.
  12. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    can steven still perform at the level needed?

stanggirl and redial like this.
  13. blckknight60

blckknight60 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    cash grabbing has beens

14. Rob0729

Reputations:
    He has been touring with his own band for years. Never seen him on tour though. So I don't know how well he drums these days. He seemed to do pretty well at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

On a side note, musically a Guns tour with Myles Kennedy singing the songs over Axl might actually be a better concert. And I am not a huge fan of how Kennedy sings Guns' songs. Axl's voice is shot.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    benmathews likes this.
  15. Kilroy

Kilroy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Izzy isn't involved because he doesn't want to do major touring anymore, he's content in his life now and doesn't need the headaches or the money, that's been known for sometime. As far as Adler, there's a small bit that they know if they take him out, 5 shows into the tour he'll be a strung out mess again and for this own safety they won't do it but I'm sure the majority of why they aren't including him is he's such a nut job and sued them and had bashed ALL of them for the last 25 years they just said "fuck him!".

Honestly, keeping the 2 scabs in there makes them a FAR better band at this point but I'm really shocked they didn't do a full Illusion tour reunion with Sorum and Gilby...I'm with others who say they probably won't bother paying to see this..

ZosoHitler likes this.
  16. Flabo

Flabo Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Izzy has joined the Faux GNR onstage at various times. Duff has also. Izzy supposedly doesn't like touring, the grind of huge world tours. So I would bet that somewhere down the line he shows up at a few venues. Adler won't ever be on the stage. So the nights you are lucky enough to get an Izzy sighting you will get a 80% true reunion.
    I would have to say, having seen them 3 times back in the day, I will not be paying the dough they want for tickets, I'll save my cash and watch it on periscope or YouTube.

Turkeyneck, ZosoHitler and AbeVigoda like this.
  17. MilkyDischarge

MilkyDischarge Se suelto el diablo Gold

Reputations:
    From rolling stone yesterday..

Rumors are flying about a comeback for the classic 'Appetite' lineup, but can they be believed?
    By Andy Greene
    November 13, 2015

[​IMG]

We lay out five reasons why the GN'R reunion is destined to happen, and five reasons why the prospect seems highly unlikely.

Rumors of a Guns N' Roses reunion have been swirling for months, but things went semi-nuclear earlier this week when an article on Dish Nation flatly said it was happening and Brandi Glanville, a friend of Duff McKagan's wife, blurted out "Guns N' Roses is coming back, motherfuckers!" in a video interview. Tweets from the official Guns N' Roses account fueled speculation: "Surely they'll read between the lines," "If only they could read lips ...," "Of course today everyone is a jouranlist [sic]" and "What ever happened to no news is good news?" And yesterday, Nikki Sixx of Mötley Crüe chimed in with his own two cents.

[​IMG]

To be very clear, none of this resembles confirmation. We aren't disparaging the good people at Dish Nation, and it's possible they have the rock scoop of the decade, but we'd like to know a little more about their reporting. Also, a random outburst from one of the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills never tends to mean much of anything. There's also that interview Slash gave a few months ago to a Swedish TV station where he was asked about a supposed report that he was speaking to Axl Rose again. "It was probably way overdue, you know," he said. "But it's very cool at this point to dispel some of that negative stuff that was going on for so long." Call us cynical, but the video looks a little fishy. It's possible the quote was either out of context or Slash didn't quite hear the question right.

So are G'NR on the verge of announcing a 200-date stadium tour, or will Axl Rose never appear in public again? Here are five compelling reasons why the reunion is a go and five just as sound reasons why it's not.

Why It's Going to Happen

1. The most recent lineup is kaput.
    The new version of Guns N' Roses haven't played a concert since their Las Vegas residency ended in June of 2014, and in the interim, guitarists DJ Ashba and Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal have left the band and bassist Tommy Stinson has said he has absolutely no idea what's happening with the group. Axl has let the latter-day lineup fall into tatters, which seems to suggest he's gearing up to bring back the classic configuration.

2. New Guns N' Roses had toured itself into oblivion.
    When Guns N' Roses went out in 2002 and 2006, they packed arenas all over America, but eventually they were reduced to a theater and club act. You simply can't do the same show over and over and expect people to keep seeing it. Their last shows were part of a Las Vegas residency, and even that was starting to grow stale. The only logical move at that point is a reunion.

3. They'd get a nine-figure payday.
    Axl Rose may not be the most rational person on earth, but even he would presumably have trouble turning down the insane money he'd get for a reunion tour. The guys in Aerosmith aren't exactly best friends, but they suck it up night after night and make a fortune in the process.

4. Nearly every band eventually reunites.
    How many times did the Stone Roses, the Police and Van Halen say they'd never do it? It's simply the fate of nearly every band to re-form, especially when all the members are living. There are just simply too many forces pulling them together and nothing keeping them apart other than stubbornness and bitterness.

5. Nobody has truly denied it.
    The Slash "probably way overdue" interview was in August. Since then, he hasn't stepped forward to dispute anything. The guy isn't exactly media-shy, but he's been suspiciously off-the-grid these past three months.

Conclusion:
    There's more than enough evidence to think that something is happening in the world of Guns N' Roses. Any tour will involve a small army of lawyers, managers, promoters, more lawyers, publicists and even more lawyers. It might take a year-plus to hammer everything together, but this is going to happen.

Why It's Not Going To Happen

1. Axl hates Slash more than he loves money.
    Nobody quite understands why Axl feels such venom towards his former guitarist, but it's undeniable that he does. Guns N' Roses played a ton of concerts during the past decade, and they put a ton of money into Axl's pockets. He might very well feel he's got enough cash to live comfortably for the rest of his life.

2. There's not a single credible report out there.
    Despite the countless articles written about this over the past few months, nobody has produced anything concrete. That explanation could be pretty simple: There is nothing concrete about this. It's just rumor, irresponsible journalism and the fevered wishes of hardcore fans.

3. A legit reunion is no easy task.
    The band is more than just Axl, Slash and Duff. That lineup would be enough to fill arenas, but the fans want the whole Appetite for Destruction lineup. Rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin is just about the least reliable man on the planet. He hasn't gone on a real tour in well over 20 years. Something like this might be enough to make it happen, but we have our doubts. Then there's the drummer situation. Anyone with access to VH1 knows the Steven Adler story. He could certainly play the Appetite songs, but he's never done the Use Your Illusion material in concert and we can't imagine Axl letting him try. The obvious move would be to use Illusion drummer Matt Sorum, but Axl (for reasons that remain unclear) seems to hate him more than Slash. It makes all of this very complicated.

4. Axl has said he'll never, ever do this, and we should take him at his word.
    Led Zeppelin never reunited for a tour. Joe Strummer went to his grave without a Clash reunion. Morrissey will certainly never re-form the Smiths. Sometimes we need to believe these guys when they say, "Never, ever, ever, ever."

5. We're talking about Axl Rose here.
    He's never taken the easy path or done what everyone wants him to do. The guy had the biggest rock band on the planet, and he pissed the whole thing away after, essentially, two albums. He doesn't play by the rules, and a Hell Freezes Over tour with his old buddies Slash and Steven Adler isn't something he wants to do. In fact, he'd quite possibly rather die.

Conclusion:
    It ain't happening. No matter how much we all want to see this show, it simply isn't going to happen. Axl is Axl, and he doesn't care about our happiness. There will probably be another 10,000 articles about this over the next few months, but it doesn't matter. It isn't happening.

Then again …

Rolling Stone

Abner Devereaux likes this.
  18. Zyro

Zyro Well-Known Member

Reputations:

ZosoHitler likes this.
  19. Hoof

Hoof Member

Reputations:
    I saw him with his band Adler's Appetite about 6 years ago at a local club. They played most, if not all, of Appetite and I think "Civil War", too. Adler still has it. He didn't miss a beat. The whole band was tight. Adler seemed like a nice guy, too. He hung around afterwards and took pictures with everyone.

ZosoHitler and scoobyla like this.
  20. William Shirtner

William Shirtner Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I have feelings about this.