Guys, were you a boy scout?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Any stories you'd like to share?

[​IMG]

Internal Boy Scout files depict 'sordid' history of sexual abuse: lawyer
    The sexual abuse of a 13-year-old boy in 2007 was only a sliver of a near century of internally documented cases within the organization, the victim's attorney said. In 2012 files dating from 1965 to 1985 revealed that more than a third of abuse allegations were never reported to police.
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Monday, January 26, 2015, 6:21 PM
    [​IMG] Uncredited/AP Former Boy Scout leader Al Stein, who pleaded no contest to felony child endangerment in 2009, is one of many sexual abuse cases documented internally by the organization.
    SANTA BARBARA, Calif. — The sexual abuse of a 13-year-old scout by an adult volunteer was part of a "sordid history of child sexual abuse" within the Boy Scouts that has been documented internally by the organization for nearly a century, the victim's attorney said Monday in his opening statement at a civil trial in California.

The scout, now 20, has sued the Boy Scouts of America and a local scouting council for punitive damages after being molested by a volunteer leader in 2007. He claims in his negligence lawsuit that the Scouts failed to educate, train and warn parents and adult volunteers about the dangers of sex abuse.

His attorney, Tim Hale, won the right to draw from more than 30 years of "perversion" files kept by the Scouts as evidence at trial to support those allegations. The files cleared for use by Santa Barbara Superior Court Judge Donna D. Geck include 16 years of documents — from 1991 to 2007— that have never been seen before outside the Scouts.

Hale told the jury that when the case is over they will receive a CD of 100,000 pages of files to review while they deliberate.

"You're going to be the first people in the United States with the opportunity to review these files," Hale said.

Hale said in his opening remarks that the Scouts recorded between 9,000 and 10,000 such files between 1920 and 2007. He intends to use documents dating from 1971 to 2007 to build his case.

"The Boy Scouts of America has a long and sordid history of child sexual abuse committed against young Scouts . committed by Scout leaders and that timeline goes back, the files show, until at least the 1920s," he said.

"What has not been going on is notice to the public and notice to (the plaintiff) and his parents," the lawyer added.

An attorney for the Boy Scouts countered that the "perversion" files were created to keep children safe by maintaining a master list of people ineligible to volunteer with the Scouts.

The organization acknowledges mistakes in the way sex abuse allegations were handled in the past but now has a robust child protection program and parent training, attorney Nicholas Heldt said in his opening statement to jurors.

From 2003 to 2007, a key period for the lawsuit, only 27 adult volunteers were kicked out annually for sexually abusing Scouts, although there were at least 1.5 million volunteers nationally, he said.

When the plaintiff was abused, the youth protection training worked because the boy recognized the abuse, resisted and told his mother, Heldt said. She, in turn, told local Scout leaders who informed law enforcement.

"This case is about training and whether training would have made a difference," he told jurors.

"I think this is a case in which the one instance of sexual abuse against (the plaintiff) could not have been prevented and it wasn't prevented," he said. "But the training program may have helped prevent the second or the third instance of sexual abuse."

The [BSA] has a long and sordid history of child sexual abuse committed against young Scouts.
    The victim's name is being used in court but The Associated Press does not generally name victims of sexual abuse.

The records allowed by the judge could reveal how much the national organization has improved its efforts to protect children and report abuse after several high-profile cases sparked the youth protection policy in the late 1980s.

Previous large verdicts against the Scouts focused on cases where alleged abuse occurred before the policy was put in place.

In 2012, the Oregon Supreme Court ordered the Scouts to make public a trove of files from 1965 to 1985. The records showed that more than one-third of abuse allegations never were reported to police and that even when authorities were told, little was done most of the time.

Those documents came to light after a jury in 2010 imposed a nearly $20 million penalty against the Scouts in a molestation case in Portland, Oregon, that dated to the early 1980s.

Since then, plaintiffs' attorneys in several states, including Texas and Minnesota, have sought to publicize the more recent records through similar lawsuits but the cases have settled before trial.

The current lawsuit alleges that Scouts volunteer Al Stein, now 37, pulled down the plaintiff's pants when he was 13 and fondled him while the two worked in a Christmas tree lot. The boy suffered bruises and a laceration in the assault and still suffers from anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder that prevent him from leaving the house, Hale said.

Stein pleaded no contest to felony child endangerment in 2009 and was sentenced to probation. He served time in prison after authorities discovered photos of naked children on his cellphone.

He was paroled early, however, and was last living in Salinas, California, as a registered sex offender.

Under the judge's ruling, records that Hale does not use in open court will remain sealed.

After trial, the plaintiff's counsel and other interested parties can petition the court for the release of all the files.

That's what happened in Oregon. The Oregon Supreme Court ordered the Scouts to make all the documents public after The Associated Press and other media outlets intervened

smichal and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  2. Butcher

Butcher ?

Reputations:
    no fuckin WAY, Gange

SternsEgo, Jayla and Big Lar like this.
  3. Scott

Scott Masshole Staff Member

Reputations:
    Been anti boy scout/Catholic since as long as I can remember.

Gusbuss, JameGumb and Honkey Donkey like this.
  4. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "I was always prepared. My scout leader told me that an apple a day keeps the predators away"

[​IMG]

Stag and smichal like this.
  5. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    No, but I like the slutty Girl Scout costume on Halloween.

smichal and Mulletude like this.
  6. Honkey Donkey

Honkey Donkey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I joined the Boy Scouts for about a month . I hated it . I was about 10 or 11. The older kids who were in Highschool used to march us around and shit so I was like fuck this . Plus it was pretty gay . I was creeped out by the high school kids . They seemed to be too old to be scouts . I'm glad I quit . I remember hitting one of the older kids with a staff when they were teaching us to fight with staffs . The fuck was showing off hitting all the little guys and I went after him. That was the last meeting I ever went to .

Jayla, smichal and Ta Ta Toothy like this.
  7. Honkey Donkey

Reputations:
    Good man

8. fredrogers

fredrogers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was a boy scout from 3rd grade until right about the time we had to start studying to be an eagle scout. It was really fun. A bunch of friends and I got to go camping and one summer we went to boy scout camp. Pinewood Derby was always really fun. Nothing creepy ever happened. My step dad and my friends fathers were always in charge. We never had to deal with any adult who didn't have a child in the group, which is pretty much the way it should be.

x76 and smichal like this.
  9. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    I started as a Cub Scout and had some fun, my dad tricked out my Pinewood Derby car and I won a gold medal for the most outstanding car. Then the next year my parents stuck me in a private school because they got a better price for two because my brothers public Jr. High was full of gangs and they didn't want him to start there, so they sent us both to this other school that I hated. Then the next year we moved out of the city and I never looked into it after that.

10. ohmicah

ohmicah Real Gad About Town

Reputations:
    How dare the Scouts discriminate against "gay" scout leaders. They are oh so eager to help the young Scouts discover their sexual orientation.

11. Honkey Donkey

Reputations:
    Sounds like a group I would have rather been in .

x76 and fredrogers like this.
  12. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    :jj:

no. my parents loved me.

SternsEgo, Skipnoid, smichal and 2 others like this.
  13. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    I was cub scout, webelo, and boy scout. I initially joined cub scouts just to get a knife.

kinneyjames, x76, fredrogers and 2 others like this.
  14. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    I quit in the 6th or 7th grade.

x76 likes this.
  15. Honkey Donkey

Reputations:
    I was pretty lucky , my father got a new knife every year on the fire department and would give me his old one . Back then we all wore them to school . These days that would never fly .

Ingens likes this.
  16. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    i was a cub scout for a few months. all i remember was polishing apples. i didn't like it.

years later, in 7th grade, a mormon friend talked me into going to a mormon boy scout troop (many of them hate being called mormon by the way. they prefer LDS).

i was thinking it would be fun. first they introduced me to about 20 aryan looking dudes. like i'd remember any of their names. not 10 minutes in, they had me in a room with some dude learning how to make knots. KNOTS! then it was thankfully over.

i never went back. i did date some jack mormon chicks though to make up for it. :yay:

i moved away for a few years and when i came back, he was a cowboy and i was a hippie. we barely said a word to each other all through high school.

fucking cowboys. :mad:

XaltedSmoke likes this.
  17. Smartguy

Smartguy This Space Is For Rent VIP

Reputations:
    No. I lived in Newfoundland until grade 5 and the Scouts were run by the Catholics in Newfoundland. Every Protestant family in the 70's knew not to let their kids around the Catholic priests in Newfoundland.

Honkey Donkey likes this.
  18. Skipnoid

Skipnoid Lick Me!

Reputations:
    This was pretty much my experience as well. I've always been big into the outdoors and I loved all the camp outs. There was never any weird shit going on and the older kids didn't bully the younger ones ... not that I ever saw anyway. It was a very positive experience for me.

x76 and fredrogers like this.
  19. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    i remember when a catholic family moved onto the block. the yentas were all talking about them like they were something very different. i hung out with their kids and couldn't figure out what the adults were talking about.

then i had a catholic gf tell me how she wasn't allowed to date some dude in HS because he was a protestant.

so odd.

20. Ingens

Ingens VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I was in cub scouts for maybe a year. I was the only kid whose dad didn't build my pinewood derby car for me, other than using a table saw to cut it into a curved shape, and it came last. Looking back, it was a good life lesson for me about taking pride in your work, doing your own work, and being self reliant.

x76 and Honkey Donkey like this.