Entertainment Gwyneth Paltrow On Her IRON MAN Co-Star: "Nobody Is Worth The Money RDJ Is Worth"

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Rodney21a, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Rodney21a

Rodney21a Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    So who will replace this cunt in the movies? Anybody care @ARM your thoughts?

Gwyneth Paltrow On Her IRON MAN Co-Star: "Nobody Is Worth The Money RDJ Is Worth"
    [​IMG]
    Commenting on the massive difference between what male and female stars earn in Hollywood, Gwyneth Paltrow brings up the vast fortune amassed by this year's highest paid actor and her Iron Man/Avengers co-star, Robert Downey Jr. More past the jump...
    Follow Mark:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    By Mark Cassidy - 10/7/2015
    [​IMG]
    It was recently announced that there was to be a federal investigation into discrimination against female directors in Hollywood, as just 5% of directors chosen to helm major studio movies are women. If evidence of discrimination is found, it could mean a class action suit and a major shake up for the movie industry in general.

Gwyneth Paltrow has used this announcement to comment on the wage inequality between male and female actors, calling the disparity between the two "painful" during an interview with Variety. The actress uses her MCU co-star Robert Downey Jr. - who made a whopping $80 million this year despite having only made one movie - as an example.

“Your salary is a way to quantify what you’re worth. If men are being paid a lot more for doing the same thing, it feels s***y. Look, nobody is worth the money that Robert Downey Jr. is worth. But if I told you the disparity, you would probably be surprised.”

Obviously Downey Jr. has a much bigger role than Paltrow does in the Iron Man movies, but there's evidence of wage inequality everywhere you look. For example, Jennifer Lawrence was this year's highest paid actress, but still made a hefty $28 million less than RDJ.

What do you guys make of Paltrow's comments? More at the link below.
    Source: Variety

ARM likes this.
  2. fredrogers

fredrogers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Funny, I didn't see Marvel/Disney pinning their aspirations onto the founder of Goop Magazine. She doesn't get paid the same because she played a fucking secretary.

3. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    I can hardly wait to see all the fucking powderpuff movies Hollywood is going to spring on us after this.

Fuck

Abner Devereaux, LaserT and ARM like this.
  4. queerface

queerface Un-engaged Dyke Gold

Reputations:
    I tend to agree with Gwyn...and that's not something I do a lot.

5. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I always wanna say someone is overpaid, but Downey's Tony Stark majorly helped launch the Marvel Cinematic Universe - which led to this juggernaut phenomenon of it's own movie genre that now prints it's own money and merchandise.

Any long time Marvel fan knows IRON MAN was an almost obscure B-List character in their eyes (not in mine - as I was always an Avengers guy over the X-Men)- until Jon Favreau had a genius stroke of casting a super talented/super troubled but affordable Downey as IM/Stark.

Downey got paid shit for IM1 (because he was a huge derelict risk), and as the Marvel Cinematic Universe exploded because of he and Favreau - so did their bank accounts.

Gwyneth is overpaid - Downey is not. The fact that my mom in her early 70s now knows who IRON MAN is - really says it all and qualifies his rewards.

6. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    As a HUGE Captain America fan - I never thought I'd see a day in my lifetime where Cap's film would out box office and perform Superman, Spider-man and Wolverine. But this actually happened with "Captain America: The Winter Soldier".

And now with "Captain America: Civil War" - Spider-man is guest starring in CAP's film - as is IRON MAN. What a crazy turning of the household tides. I'm beyond thrilled about this. Imo, Cap has always been the best character in Marvel or DC. A combination of all the best qualities of Superman and Batman rolled into one.

Downey and the first IM are to thank for this evolution.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  7. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I can also make a case that because of Favreau and Downey launching the MCU - it forced DC to finally get their Batman/Superman myopic meandering shit together and compete with their library.

DC didn't have the balls for decades to touch another entity besides Batman and Superman. Green Lantern could and should have been great but they didn't capitalize on the vastness of that world.

8. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    Only assholes can complain about money in quantities of millions...

9. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    That's the big difference-Favs and RDJ got a piece of the action. When an actor gets paid crazy amounts up front, then it's disturbing. (Like Brando in Superman-1 million for a days work. Lot of money back then.)

ARM likes this.
  10. lastlaugh

lastlaugh Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What she really means is nobody but her is worth that much money. She's one of those people who wants to tell others how to live, but doesn't think any of it applies to her.

11. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't deny there is a wage difference between male movie stars, but there is a reason for that. Guys like Robert Downey Jr. or Sylvester Stallone can open a film and make the studios money. Ain't nobody going to flock to a theatre to see a movie starring Gwyneth Paltrow. The truth hurts, but there it is.

Back in the '30s it was different. Most of the highest paid stars were women. The movie business and the audiences taste have changed. It's a business. You get paid what you're worth and Paltrow ain't worth shit.

TeeDonkey, ARM, AmishGirl and 4 others like this.
  12. Tim

Tim ty dawg for gold! Gold

Reputations:
    He pulls in more money, that's why he gets a better paycheck. It's a dumb argument, like saying that female soccer players should earn the same as male soccer players, even pulling in a fraction of their audience, advertising, etc.

Name one female movie star who could sell as many tickets as RDJ can as Tony Stark. there is no one.

13. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
    This is such an important subject. I sure hope Gwen can get by on $20M a year instead of $80M a year when she did 1/10 of the work and has 1/10 of the box office draw of RDJ.

14. TallTyrion

Reputations:
    I disagree about the better character than Batman thing, but yeah, you hit the nail on the head.

ARM likes this.
  15. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Why doesn't she make a Wonder Women movie? We could see how it stacks up against Ironman. I have a feeling it won't do very well.

ARM likes this.
  16. CrucifiedAGT

Reputations:
    Oh, and for the liberal dumb cunt, RDJ is worth every penny of $80M because thats what he made and the studio would gladly pay it again if they could do it all over.

If she doesn't like her paycheck, maybe she should get more talent.

AuntDolly and ARM like this.
  17. ARM

ARM Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I like Batman well enough - but I've come to realize I just don't really relate to anything Bruce Wayne does or says as a character. Batman's essentially an arrogant billionaire rich kid with OCD - who's kind of a dick. Speaking of "Dick", I'm more of a Nightwing guy as well. I like Dick Grayson better than Bruce Wayne.

Cap's life is more down-to-earth and actually tragic to me. I'd way rather have Steve Rogers as a friend over Bruce Wayne.

TallTyrion likes this.
  18. TallTyrion

Reputations:
    Waaah, I shouldn't have to run around and show my tits if I want to make RDJ money....WAAAAAAAAAAH

The beauty of free markets is that it's the greatest form of democracy around. If you aren't interested in seeing a movie, don't go see it, it doesn't make money and no one get's their backside payouts.

If you can't get your artistic vision made...make it your damned self.

ARM, TheLACritic and CrucifiedAGT like this.
  19. TallTyrion

Reputations:
    Sorry, I get your opinion. Batman is still my guy. I love the Cap character. He's no Batman though.

Speaking of women in superhero media....

GLguygardner and ARM like this.
  20. CrucifiedAGT

Reputations:
    This is the beauty of capitalism in sports and hollywood. There is no racism or discrimination. Either you have talent and can draw fans or you cant.

RDJ can, Gweneth cant. That's the only reason their paychecks are different.

SouthernListen and ARM like this.