News Hackers Hold Hollywood Hospital's Systems For Ransom, Get $17,000

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Feb 17, 2016.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Calif. hospital computer system taken hostage by hackers
    Last Updated Feb 17, 2016 8:21 PM EST

LOS ANGELES -- The FBI is leading the investigation of a hostage situation at a California hospital -- but its not people being held, it's the computer system.

Inside Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital computer screens have been dark since hackers took over the data network almost two weeks ago.

[​IMG]
    Hollywood Presbyterian Hospital.

CBS News

Calls to the hospital's media line are met with a voicemail recording.

"We want to assure you that patient care at CHA Hollywood Presbyterian has not been compromised, as we continue to address this incident," the voice recording says.

The attack used what's known as "ransom-ware" -- malicious software that encrypts files which can only be unlocked with a software "key" after a ransom is paid.

[​IMG]
    CBS News

In this case, according to a source familiar with the investigation hackers demanded, and the hospital paid an $17,000 in the digital currency bitcoin -- which is nearly impossible to trace.

The hospital released a statement Wednesday evening confirming the amount of ransom paid.

"The amount of ransom requested was 40 bitcoins, equivalent to approximately $17,000," the statement read. "The malware locks systems by encrypting files and demanding ransom to obtain the decryption key. The quickest and most efficient way to restore our systems and administrative functions was to pay the ransom and obtain the decryption key. In the best interest of restoring normal operations, we did this."

Since the attack, the medical center staff has resorted to pen and paper and even fax machines for communications.

In the statement, the hospital said the system is back up and running.

"HPMC has restored its electronic medical record system (EMR) on Monday, February 15th. All clinical operations are utilizing the EMR system. All systems currently in use were cleared of the malware and thoroughly tested. We continue to work with our team of experts to understand more about this event," the statement read.

The FBI confirmed the attack but declined to comment on its investigation. Hollywood Presbyterian has not responded to CBS News' requests for comment.

2. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
    :hal:

DogStar69 and JameGumb like this.
  3. stash

stash 2017 Kimbra of All Media VIP

Reputations:
    Droog likes this.
  4. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hospital's don't get mad they get even. Some one is paying.

5. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I hope the hospital fired their tec guy...security should be number 1, 2 and 3.

6. rahboni

rahboni Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Is it just me, or does this pic look like a screenshot from GTA V?

7. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    I'll let you know if I ever catch the guy on the motorcycle.

rahboni likes this.
  8. Quite Frankly

Quite Frankly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Two....weeks

[​IMG]

Phuck Yoo likes this.
  9. Phuck Yoo

Phuck Yoo Active Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

10. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    I told you fuckers last year cryptoransom was gonna be the next computer plague.

11. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    There is no ransom. If you pay they don't unfuck yer system, they just take yer money. FBI Moneypak viruses been around a while. I got a fucked hard drive because of one.

That said, protestant hospital. Fuck em, splitters.

12. Getoninja

Getoninja Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    first time I saw a crypto viruses was October 2014 from one of my cousins who wanted to get rid a virus on their laptop.

let me tell to you this, I've dealt with spyware and viruses for more than 10years on my pc and others and when I saw this virus for the first time it scare the shit out of me.

Once a crypto viruses is launched it goes throw out your network, even usb devices plugged in at the moment and encrypts any media files, pics, videos, music, etc.
    Then you get messages on your PC where to pay.

And there is no cure unless you pay or had your files backed up on cloud or other means, burned discs. Getting rid of the virus seemed easy, decrypting the files is a another monster.

DrivenByDemons likes this.
  13. DrivenByDemons

Reputations:
    That's where you're wrong. Plenty of people have received valid decrypt keys after payment. That encourages more payments from future victims. Stick to smelling buttholes instead of spreading false tech info.

JumboWop and Getoninja like this.
  14. DrivenByDemons

Reputations:
    Yep. And almost nobody keeps offline backups these days. I made a thread about it a while back with a protection tweak you can run to protect yourselves.

15. Getoninja

Getoninja Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    with all the research I did at the time, that is true. Once you pay, hackers or a automated bot gives you the key. But don't think the keys are transferable... unless tech nerds have found a way since I last dealt with cryptowall in Oct 2014.

16. bdbx18

bdbx18 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Leave the poor guy alone. Most likely, they are not given enough budget to hire the talent or invest in upgrade projects. Most companies sees their IT dept as an expense column.

17. JumboWop

JumboWop Outlaw Gold

Reputations:
    hospitals have almost unlimited money for IT security. they have a phone book sized list of HIPAA compliance requirements they're supposed to be meeting and often federal dollars to help them get there. don't feel bad for them. people should lose their jobs over this type of negligence.

18. stash

stash 2017 Kimbra of All Media VIP

Reputations:
    Different virus :grad:

The 'ransomware' was the shit that locked your screen, accused you of all sorts of nefarious shit, but would 'unfuck your system and not send you to prison' if you went and got the green dot card and paid. And then of course you pay and nothing gets unfucked, but you dont go to jail, bc you were never going anyway.

But then about late 2013 was when I first saw this 'crypto' shit... on a Veterinarian's machine.. and ive seen a few more since then. But all I do with em is wipe it or replace the hdd and start over.

And yea the only way youre gonna have a shot at restoring your files with that key is paying. So you can pay and hope for the best.. but who knows what the fucks gonna fuckn happen. I wouldnt even want my shit restored after being tainted by that crap.

wife is a whore likes this.
  19. DrivenByDemons

Reputations:
    There are so many different versions out there it's hard to say. Some can be recovered, some you can recover from shadow copies, some you are fuuuuucked. Crypto done right is unbreakable.

This will help people who still insist on opening email attachments from getting screwed in the first place. :jj:

https://www.foolishit.com/cryptoprevent-malware-prevention/

20. bdbx18

bdbx18 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You should be right but not entirely true. While I had worked for a healthcare co before hipaa laws, my wife still do today. Other than encrypted emails, sox, hipaa compliance and other bare minimums, the other audit gaps at her hmo co are quite aplenty.