Hank shows up in my statistics class...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by benjysux, Oct 12, 2013.

1. benjysux

benjysux New Member

Reputations:
    I'm finishing school and taking a statistics class. Doing research on how to find a good "sample" and look who shows up...

Sampling Lessons from an Angry, Drunken Dwarf

If you’re thinking about writing a story based on an Internet poll or a survey based on some other type of convenience sample, think of Hank, the Angry, Drunken Dwarf.
    People Magazine asked visitors to its website to vote in an online poll for the Most Beautiful Person of 1998. The ballot included Julia Roberts, Leonardo DiCaprio, Madonna and other usual suspects. It also allowed write-in nominations. The temptation proved too great for radio bad boy Howard Stern, who advised his listeners to e-mail votes for Hank the Angry, Drunken Dwarf, a Stern sidekick who died in 2001.
    A small army of online prankster quickly took up the campaign. Hank swamped the competition, finishing with 230,169 votes, or about 16 times the number who supported DiCaprio, the pretty face whom People declared the fairest of the fair and put on its cover.
    The people at the People Web site were initially appalled and closed their website. Then they decided to capitalize on all the free publicity, reopened the poll and publicly embraced Hank, who was duly crowned as the site's winner of the "Beautiful People Poll," and pictured wearing a pink bunny suit. "It kind of made us nostalgic for the days when all we had to contend with was sparring between the Xena fans and the Hercules supporters," People Web site editors wrote in a brief introductory note.

Here is where I found this... http://www.aapor.org/Bad_Samples.htm

I started listening in 2001. Any one remember this fiasco? What would happen today if the sell out asked his audience to pull a prank like this?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  2. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    I voted for Hank, actually. I loved that little guy, losing Hank and Jackie changed that show forever. Hank would never be able to exist in this version of THSS. That also makes me nostalgic for the old days of the Internet, back when it was more like a small community than a massive marketing platform.

3. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    He died in 2001???? Holy F! It doesn't seem like that long ago!!

4. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I don't remember this, but if Stern were to ask us to do something like this again, we'd all vote against whatever he said.

5. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    His death was 2 days before 9/11, and it was completely overshadowed. I was hoping they would really sent him off right on the show, and then the planes hit and everyone forgot about Hank. Goddamn Al Qaeda, I hope Hank ended up with 72 virgins while those bastards rot. :depressed:

6. dadadipshit

dadadipshit Member

Reputations:
    I remember voting for Hank. I thought the campaign was fan-driven and Howard jumped on late, but I could be wrong.

7. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    That's how I remember it too, I believe KOAM posted a link on his site to go straight to the vote.

8. ElRexican

ElRexican Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Answer:
    This is an example of voluntary response; people were not randomly sampled and surveyed. People who voluntarily participate usually feel very strongly about the subject matter and hence are a biased sample; they do not correctly represent the population we wish to make an inference about.

What college you taking stats at?

9. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    it's about a convenience sample. I was thinking the same thing at first till i reread it.

10. benjysux

benjysux New Member

Reputations:

Rollins College in Winter Park Fla. Finishing something I started long ago.

Yeah Hank was the real deal. I love the little guy. I love the bits where he gets to show off his knowledge of Rock-n-Roll.
    And where he wrote the episode for Son of the Beach.

btw I put a link in my original post to where I found that.

11. ElRexican

ElRexican Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    good link. thanks.

12. SAYarmulke

SAYarmulke New Member

Reputations:
    Glad to see all the love for Hank. He was probably my all-time faaaaavorite Wack Packer and I miss the belligerent little bastard.
    Aside from the bits already mentioned, I think one of the best was when he went down to where David Blaine was encased in ice and gave him the finger. Or just any time he was talking shit about people.

13. markluke

markluke Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The last thing that I supported was the Sanjaya campaign. That was 7 years ago.

14. booybob

booybob Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:

Is that considered a college or the 13th grade??

15. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    There are people who won't admit this but Hank was flying one of those 9/11 planes for George Bush after faking his death the week before.

16. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    What do they call it when you get TV ratings skewed because only nitwits with no lives would ever agree to have their TV viewing monitored, and those type of people watch the type of shit they put on broadcast TV.

17. SillyOldMan

SillyOldMan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    And I wouldn't call that Howard's campaign. Howard latched on to a movement that would've gone on with or without Howard.

18. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    You disinfo mofo...
    Hank was the missile that hit the pentagon. Prove he wasn't pendejo

19. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Hank, we love you! :hat:

20. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    Some cite Beetle when declaring who was the Wackpacker GOAT. Beetle was great but one dimensional as compared to Hank's spontaneous one liners & rank-outs, encyclopedic out of character knowledge of music, creative drunken tirades, antagonism towards others and of course self-awareness. RIP Hank, you were the Best; no other wackpacker came close!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013