Politics Harvard Study - No Racial Bias in Police Shootings...just everthing else.

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Getthepoisonout, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Getthepoisonout

Getthepoisonout I regret my username

Reputations:
    A new study yielded some unexpected results about racial bias in police shootings.

While black people are more likely than white people to be touched, handcuffed, thrown against a wall, pushed to the ground, and have weapons pointed at them by the police, the study found no evidence of racial bias in situations where police fire their guns at civilians.

"It is the most surprising result of my career," Roland G. Freyer Jr., the Harvard economist who authored the study, told The New York Times.

View image on Twitter
    [​IMG]

Freyer and a group of students spent over 3,000 hours sifting through police data from 10 major police departments in three states: Texas, Florida, and California.

They examined 1,332 shootings between 2000 and 2015. In those shootings, the study found that police officers were more likely to fire their weapons without having been attacked when the suspects were white. Black and white civilians involved in police shootings were also equally likely to have been carrying a gun.

To answer the more basic question of whether shootings were more likely to occur in the first place if the suspect were black, Freyer and his team turned to Houston. The study examined police reports of not only shootings, but also arrests in which lethal force would have been justified, coded with characteristics like attempting to murder an officer, evading or resisting arrest, or using a Taser.

In these charged encounters, police were 20% less likely to shoot if the suspect was black. Even more surprisingly, the recent rise in videos of these kinds of altercations didn't alter the pattern.

These findings starkly contrast much of the conventional wisdom about racial bias in police shootings.

The recent deaths of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile at the hands of police officers have renewed calls to address racial discrimination in policing — and leaders from across the political spectrum are acknowledge the existence and dangers of bias.

"Would this have happened if ... the driver and passenger were white?" Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton asked at a press conference following the death of Philando Castile. "I don't think it would've. So I'm forced to confront, and I think all of us in Minnesota are forced to confront that this kind of racism exists."

President Barack Obama in a speech outlined several statistics suggesting racial bias, including the fact that last year, African-Americans were shot at by police at twice the rate of whites.

"We have seen too many tragedies like this," he said. "These are not isolated incidents."

In addition to the political rhetoric, previous analyses have corroborated the theory that police are more likely to use force, including lethal force, if the suspect is black.

An investigation by The Washington Post last year found that over a period of about seven months, unarmed black men were seven times more likely to be killed by police than unarmed white men. And according to the most recent census data, black people account for 24% of deaths in police shootings, despite being only 13% of the population.

Freyer's research seems to dispute these findings. But that doesn't necessarily mean public condemnation of racial bias in policing is wrong — the study still found a much higher rate of overall police force with black suspects than with white suspects.

In fact, the reported lack of racial bias in police shootings only accounts for a small slice of interactions with the police in which race usually does play a role. For example, black people are much more likely than white people to be stopped by the police in the first place — a variable Freyer's study did not consider, as Vox pointed out.

The study also only looked at certain cities — the cities with police departments that were willing to share their records. It's possible that cities with more damning data were not represented in the research. The records are also tied to the accuracy of the police reports, which video evidence has directly contrasted in the past, according to The Daily Intelligencer.

The study itself acknowledges that black people face discrimination in police interactions on the whole. In New York City police stops, for example, they were 17% more likely to encounter use of any type of police force.

View image on Twitter
    [​IMG]

Freyer has spent his career studying racial disparities in a number of areas. He was inspired to study police bias after the deaths of Michael Brown and Freddie Gray. Even in the midst of his findings, he acknowledged black men's experience with the police.

"Who the hell wants to have a police officer put their hand on them or yell and scream at them? It's an awful experience," he told The Times. "I've had it multiple, multiple times. Every black man I know has had this experience."​

Head Censor and Hank Douglas like this.
  2. Slow

Slow All The Pieces Matter DawgShed News

Reputations:
    Oh goody. Another race thread to brighten the morning

3. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    Shut up brutha, he's making the message board great again

sumtexan and Slow like this.
  4. bennymuso

bennymuso Italian by name, British by nature

Reputations:
    I'm glad I'm not African American.

Mike Huntslooce and Gusbuss like this.
  5. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Interesting study. Crooked cops suck regardless of the skin color their victims have. I am surprised by these findings though

Gusbuss likes this.
  6. Slow

Slow All The Pieces Matter DawgShed News

Reputations:
    I would like to see some stats on who is more likely to resist arrest and fight with cops

7. Tim

Tim ty dawg for gold! Gold

Reputations:
    I've worn myself out with it, time to find some goofy local news stories to post and ignore the MSM

8. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:

I can never watch enough of this.

CrucifiedAGT and Tim like this.
  9. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    Racist study. Dismissed.

Austinchota likes this.
  10. Ba Ba Boolio

Ba Ba Boolio VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I did a quick study and determined drunk people are more likely to resist arrest than sober people, for real.

TheLACritic and FeetToTaste like this.
  11. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    So is Beyonce
    [​IMG]

12. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    These "studies" of statistics suffer the flaw of not controlling for the behavior of the subject, the offense being responded to, the level of cooperation, etc.

Another "Harvard" guy who apparently doesn't understand such simple things, or is playing dumb to get an agenda over on the rubes. By the time an officer is "touching" you, you've done more than politely cooperate when asked for your license and proof of insurance.

13. eliasbboy

eliasbboy Insert Witty Title Here Staff Member

Reputations:
    They did a study in New York a few years ago.

They used the number of times police filed charges for resisting arrest. That was a sign the arrest went bad and force was used.

For drug offenses blacks were over 80% more likely to be charged with resisting than whites.

Those numbers are like the chicken and the egg arguments tho. Did blacks resist more, or are police more biased to black offenders are raise the violence level first? Either side can use the stats to support their claim.

This new study goes in line with the old numbers. When an arrest is initiated, there is a higher percentage of physical altercations with blacks than whites.

Some readers will see that as proof cops are violent with blacks. Others will see it as an indication blacks resist more than whites.

The argument I HATE is "police overly target minority neighborhoods". :foff:

That bullshit comes on a cycle here in Chicago. High crime areas will protest and bitch about low police presence, claiming cops don't care about minorities.

In response police increase patrols and police presence, arrests go up, incidents with police sky rocket, and guess what?

Those same pricks crying for more police presence now get on TV claiming their neighborhoods are being unfairly targeted by police and more arrests are made in their streets than white streets.

So the police back off. Guess what? Crime increases and people start to bitch again that Police don't care and ignore their neighborhood.

:suicide:

14. eliasbboy

Reputations:
    Exactly. There was a response from an officer I read recently. Somebody used the numbers regarding police arresting mentally ill suspects.

The argument stated if you look at the numbers, police are overly abusive/physical with mentally ill suspects than necessary. They used it as an example of why police need to be trained to handle innocent people properly.

The officer explained quite coherently that the numbers are bullshit. If there are 100 mentally ill people in the world and the police arrest 10 and 9 have a physical altercation, that doesn't mean police abuse 90% of mentally ill people.

Police don't get called out to deal with friendly, non violent mentally ill people. They get called out for knife welding schizophrenic individuals that have caused a panic.

Police aren't throwing innocent black people strolling done the sidewalk into a wall.

They are FORCED at times to stop a violent situation they had no part in creating.

15. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Why isn't the biggest fact included in that neato graphic?

16. Hank Douglas

Hank Douglas Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Won't make a difference. The professional victims and their enablers will voyage on.

17. eliasbboy

Reputations:
    I read it yesterday and I thought there were more graphics. :dontknow:

18. fletchman71

fletchman71 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Can you make an Ebony and Ivory pen and help start the healing?

Rescued Owl likes this.
  19. bluedevil30

bluedevil30 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    #whitestatisticsdontmatter

20. Ganggreen87

Ganggreen87 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This is an old school cracker institution of course they won't tell the truth and support the cops. Do these kids live in the ghetto, do they carry guns and deal drugs? What would this honkeys and the facts know?