Has mainstream comedy gone soft?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Lster, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Lster

Lster Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I thought Howard's horrid decline was just an isolated case of him becoming old and trying to appeal to an audience that would never accept him. But last night I once again checked out Colbert's Late Show and just found myself bored out of my mind. His main act was a lame version of "Carnac the Magnificent" where he stated new laws such as "Cats and Dogs shall have their names switched, and both animals will not know the difference." It was bad.

It's easy enough to harp on Colbert but looking at all of what CBS, NBC, and ABC offer just leaves me sad, they make Leno look like a cutting edge comic by comparison.

Look at all the comedies of 2015, all the major ones were fucking chick flicks the only exceptions being Ted 2 and Get Hard, the latter of which was an especially weak Will Ferrell Comedy. Everything is PG-13 or a polite R-Rating with language, can't show tits or do anything particularly raunchy anymore. I bet if Borat were made today there'd be protests that it was a racist and sexist movie, I bet critics would loathe a Mel Brooks movie.

Did they put something in our water or am I just not looking in the right places? It looks like Hollywood just doesn't want comedy unless it's a fucking cartoon.

2. Stiv Bators

Stiv Bators Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yes.

codeine, Zelda and Joe Bauers like this.
  3. Stiv Bators

Reputations:
    So sorry for your loss.

Ta Ta Toothy likes this.
  4. Stiv Bators

Reputations:
    I too hate the fact I cannot be offensive to various minority's.

Those weirdos got it comin'

5. usedtampon

usedtampon Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's always about playing it safe to make the money. Young SNL cast used to laugh at all the old comedians who were conservative and did the same sketches for decades, now these guys are old and trying to squeeze out another movie sequel based on a 30 year old sketch. Howard isn't a 22 year old loser on the outside looking in, he's an old guy who wants to be Biff and Muffin Rockefeller on the gala committee. People can be daring when they have nothing to lose, but get conservative when they have something to conserve.

John Mahlin, AmishGirl, reno and 2 others like this.
  6. Outoftune

Outoftune Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This reminds me of a Don Rickles interview i recently watched when he was on Larry King promoting that sitcom Rickles did together with Richard Lewis back in 1993. Larry King brought up political correctness and you could see Rickles was kindof annoyed, not with Larry but with the whole term and the thought that went behind it and he had to defend himself that he wasn't being a racist and he didn't mean no harm etc. And to think this was back in 1993. I have a theory, i blame Al Gore and that cunt wife of his who started the PMRC (Parents Music Resource Center) movement back in the 80's wich forced musicians to put the "parental advisory" label on their albums. I genuinely believe it has started a trend in the media by pointing fingers at those who seemed to be crossing a line. And i think once they were done with the music after everything was settled the attention shifted towards comedy in the late 80's / early 90's. People for some reason got uptight about everything. Wasn't Gilbert Gottfried banned from the Emmys after doing a Pee Wee Herman bit on stage? I think the bit he did even got edited from the west coast feed and he himself was banned from Fox for a while. Then the Andrew Dice Clay incident on MTV happened etc. I really believe after that certain period the comedy has changed for the worse. It's all about politics and money. When politics and sponsors get a say in comedy and music then you know the quality will go away and you'll end up with a watered down product. A show like All In The Family couldn't have happened nowadays, i think a show like Married With Children wouldn't even get past the pilot episode. No, what we got was Mad About You, Friends, Darma & Greg, Will & Grace, The Nanny etc. I made my point. I mean, we also got Seinfeld and Everybody Loves Raymond wich were great shows but it was easy comedy in a way, it wasn't anything political or edgy or critical, it was just there to amuse you and you didn't have to think about it. All In The Family had episodes that really made you think about politics, racial issues etc and it is very unfortunate a show like that couldn't have existed in this day and age. It's degression in it's purest form.

Those in power want to keep you stupid and apathetic by letting you watch stupid and mediocre bullshit on tv, on your computer and on your radio. They don't want to challenge your brain in such a way that you will have the ability to think and speak for yourself and form your own opinions. Call me a conspiracy nut but it's the truth. This is just my two cents.

7. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Rye bread - offensive to some
    Wheat bread - offensive to some
    Pumpernickel bread - offensive to some

White bread for everyone.

AmishGirl, codeine, reno and 2 others like this.
  8. MorningSong13

MorningSong13 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Subversive comedy doesn't sell unless you're one of the giants (Burr, Louis C.k.). If you want to be mainstream, you have to do dumb, inoffensive comedy like Fallon that gets viral views from the idiots on Facebook.

Morrisb, John Mahlin, codeine and 3 others like this.
  9. Outoftune

Reputations:
    Thank you for the reps and comment @Lster

:beer:

10. CrucifiedAGT

CrucifiedAGT He's Around VIP

Reputations:
    All you need to know is All in the Family couldn't get made today.

F Timmy and Mike Huntslooce like this.
  11. Skipnoid

Skipnoid Lick Me!

Reputations:
    OK, how about this (and I actually like this show .. and I just noticed the two hotties talking to the priest, so maybe not???):
    [​IMG]

Versus this:
    [​IMG]
    There's about a million one-liners I cold post from Archie.

Pill Queen likes this.
  12. Night Ape

Night Ape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't know if mainstream comedy went soft, I think it's that what constitutes mainstream comedy is soft.

Shit like Jeff Dunham and Larry the Cable Guy are all huge simply because the dumbest, safest stuff always sells the most.

Larry was on Opie & Jimmy on Tuesday running his awful new bits and they were landing with thuds, masked by polite, uncomfortable laughs from Jimmy, Joe List and Mark Normand - actual funny comedians.

Thankfully Bill Burr is becoming huge. I see him staying the course. I love that he went on Conan and did Bruce Jenner jokes. We need more of that.

13. Outoftune

Reputations:
    Thanks allot for the reps and nice comments, appreciate it.. @reno @Pill Queen

:beer:

14. Zelda

Zelda Legit Boss

Reputations:
    As far as movies. Yes. Comedians. No. Louis C.K. is the best.

Skipnoid and Lster like this.
  15. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    :secret: That's OK w/me ... every single one of those characters makes me want to stick an ice pick in my ears / gouge my eyes out ...

CrucifiedAGT likes this.
  16. Outoftune

Reputations:
    Care to explain what you hated about that show? I am really curious.

17. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Well, the Mother & Father's voice was just :nooo: awful. I mean I'd rather take an ice pick to my ears than listen to those voices. Goddamn .... :suicide: (but I feel the same way about Audrey in Breakfast\Tiffanys...)

18. joemama

joemama Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yes comedy today is awful and the PC crowd has alot to do with it

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  19. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    You channeling Brother Theodore now?

Outoftune likes this.
  20. Chrisboom

Chrisboom Well-Known Member