Have I missed anything big??

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by wthierry, Oct 1, 2010.

1. wthierry

wthierry New Member

Reputations:
    Hi everyone. Been busy with the new job, so its been hard keepin up with the saloon. Hope all is going well. Anything crazy happen here lately? Going to start scanning some threads to see. Anyway, its friday and time for some wine!:etm: BTW, is it worth watching fringe with ETM?

2. ChuckZ

ChuckZ You're so pusillanimous, oh yea.

Reputations:
    ETM had a small part, but I liked it. The show sucked, he was good.

3. chrisfromvegas

chrisfromvegas HOOLIGAN VIP

Reputations:
    What new job? Glad your doing well. Was wondering where you were. How do you ever top Google?

4. wthierry

wthierry New Member

Reputations:
    I quit Google 2.5 years ago. Just took a job with Symbian, they make operating systems for cell phones like Android or IPhone, but for Nokia smartphones. Very big in Europe. But not in the US. Our job is to help make the US more aware of the Symbian phones. The main problem is that Nokia, the company that has most Symbian phones has no deals with US Carriers like ATT and Verizon, so the phones are not in their stores. You have to buy them and then go to a carrier for service. Hopefully Nokia can cut some deals soon, or they may lose. However their latest phone the Nokia N8 is pretty cool.

5. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
  6. wthierry

wthierry New Member

Reputations:
    depends on where you look at it. Yea, they are hurting here, but mainly because they play the European model. You buy a phone then go to a carrier, here we have a cheap initial phone because you sign a 2 year contract with a carrier who subsidizes the price of the phone. That is illegal in Europe and most of the rest of the world. So they need to adapt better here to be known. Symbian has evolved and in my personal opinion, the symbian experience would be in between Iphone and Android. Iphone is now the standard for smart phone experience but symbian is still number 1 world wide, so they have that going for them.