Have Ugly Friends..Mathematician Reveals The Formula For Finding True Love...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by teehee, Mar 28, 2015.

1. teehee

teehee Friend Of The Friendless VIP

Reputations:
    Who knew?? Having someone less attractive with you at a bar, makes you look more attractive...How'd she figure that out..:bigthink

Choose ugly friends, highlight your flaws and don't settle down before the age of 22: Mathematician reveals the formula for finding true love

• Dr Hannah Fry claims maths holds the secret to having the perfect love life
    • Mathematicians have developed a number of theories about love
    • These include the Discreet Choice Theory and Optimal Stopping Period
    • Discreet Choice Theory suggests having friends how are slightly less attractive makes you more appealing to a potential partner
    • Optimal Stopping Period advises against settling down until 37% of a person's 'dating period' has past
    • And for people already married, a formula explains how to stay together

Mathematics is probably not a subject that many people find sexy, but it could hold the key to finding true love.

Mathematicians have developed a series of theories that can help people find the perfect partner.

These include tips such as not trying to hide the less attractive parts of your appearance in your online dating profile pictures and looking for people who had fewer colds as a child.

Scroll down for video

[​IMG]

Dr Hannah Fry's (pictured left) book (right) explains how maths underpins love. She said the Discreet Choice Theory dictates that if there are two women - A and B - who men rank as equally attractive, if a third woman comes along who looks like a less attractive version of woman A, then woman A becomes more popular

They have also proposed mathematical approaches to finding the perfect wife or husband - by not choosing to settle down until after the age of 22 years old
    Dr Hannah Fry, a lecturer at University College London and author of a new book on The Mathematics of Love, outlined the theories at the Oxford Literary Festival.

She said that choosing friends who are slightly less attractive than you when going out looking for love could also bring advantages.

This is known as the Discreet Choice Theory, where the presence of an irrelevant alternative can change how you view your choices.

THE MATHEMATICS OF FINDING TRUE LOVE
    In her book, Dr Hannah Fry suggest a number of techniques to help people find true love.

Have friends who are less attractive than you: Known as Discreet Choice Theory, the idea is that if there are two women - A and B - who men rank as being equally attractive, if a third woman comes along who looks like a less attractive version of woman A, then woman A becomes more popular with the men.

Highlight your flaws: Analysis from dating websites has shown that often it is not those who are rated the 'most attractive' who get the most responses from other users.

Instead it appears to be those that divide opinion - so those that have something that sets them apart from the rest of the crowds.

Men with bald heads, for example, should not wear a hat to cover their pate as their lack of hair will be attractive to some. Those who are overweight should also not use clever photo cropping to hide what they perceive as flaws.

This means people who find these traits attractive will face less competition than messaging those who have 'perfect' profile pictures.

Choose 'healthy' looking partners: Dr Fry also explained that looking for those who tend to be heathlier are also likely to be more attractive.

Don't settle down until 37% of your 'dating period' has past: The Optimal Stopping Period theory dictates that people should only start looking for the partner they want to settle down with after 37 per cent of their 'dating period' has past.

The most successful couples are those that allow each other to complain and don't let trivial problems build up.

The idea is that if there are two women - A and B - who men rank as being equally attractive, if a third woman comes along who looks like a less attractive version of woman A, then woman A becomes more popular with the men.

Dr Fry said: 'If you are trying to choose a wingman or wingwoman, choose someone as similar to you as possible, just slightly less attractive.'

Other mathematicians have dedicated a fair amount of time to the subject of finding and keeping love.

One mathematician - Peter Backus who was a pHD student at Warwick University at the time - wrote a paper called 'Why I don't have a girlfriend' after a three-year love drought.

He calculated - using an mathematical formula known as the Drake equation - that of all the available women in the UK, there were just 26 who were appropriate for him.

He also predicted that he had just a one in 285,000 chance of meeting one of them on a night out.

here

Being unconventionally attractive may also be an advantage, according to the mathematician's research. This is because it reduces competition for people who find those flaws appealing. Sarah Jessica Parker (shown) divides opinion with many people thinking she's beautiful and others disagreeing

Fortunately for him, it seems he did meet one of them - a girl called Rose from London who he met at a dinner with friends while he was working at Warwick University - and has now married her.

According to Dr Fry, however, there are ways of increasing your chances of meeting the one.

In her book she provides a series of mathematically supported tips for those looking to find love and keep it.

Analysis from dating websites has shown that often it is not those who are rated the 'most attractive' who get the most responses from other users.

Instead it appears to be those that divide opinion - so those that have something that sets them apart from the rest of the crowds.

Men with bald heads, for example, should not wear a hat to cover their pate as their lack of hair will be attractive to some.

Those who are overweight should also not use clever photo cropping to hide what they perceive as flaws.

She explained that this is because often people who find these traits attractive will also be more likely to message as they know it is not attractive to everyone.

This means they will face less competition than messaging those who have 'perfect' profile pictures.

Dr Fry said: 'People who are unbelievably good looking will always do well, but the rest of us would be better to divide opinion.'

She also outlined a maths based strategy for finding a wife or husband known as the Optimal Stopping Period.

This states that people should only start looking for the partner you want to settle down with after 37 per cent of their 'dating period' has passed.

If, for example, a oerson is looking to get married by the age of 35 years old, and starts dating from the age of 15, they should discount all partners they have before the age of 22.4 years old.

Dr Fry also explained that looking for those who tend to be heathlier are also likely to be more attractive.

According to The Times, she said: 'As a child, every time you get a cough or a cold your face tends to grow in a slightly asymmetrical way.

'So in thinking symmetrical faces are more attractive, you are validating an underlying bill of health.'

However, recent research has suggested that facial symmetry has little to do with health during childhood but more perhaps a signal of genetic 'fitness'.

And for those who are already married, maths can also be used to help predict whether their relationship will last by looking for patterns.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:
    fire bush. :grad:

1Vegasgirl and teehee like this.
  3. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    Don't marry before age 25. It almost never works out. Both of you aren't finished maturing into whom you will be for life.

While it's impossible to do, try and realize what your mate will look life for life. Everyone looks great (as they ever will) when they're age 23. Almost no one gets better looking.

You can't fix people. They either fix themselves, or they don't get fixed.

4. zutroy

zutroy Totally nude. Totally flawless.

Reputations:
    She's just being used???
    [​IMG]

RONNIE THE CLAW and Rip mcdivvit like this.
  5. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    I think you have all met my bestie?
    image.jpg

RONNIE THE CLAW likes this.
  6. Rip mcdivvit

Rip mcdivvit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I suspect she pays for everything and gets invited to nothing. you cannot tell me she ate herself into this. Life is cruel. More evidence there is no god.

7. RONNIE THE CLAW

RONNIE THE CLAW Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    There is no such formula no matter how hard we try to put sense and balance to the chaos. Not astrology, nor math, nor counseling, nor prayer will ever guarantee anything for anyone. Let's face it, we are all destined to try as best we can to make relationships work and that's all we can do is try with what we have.

8. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    I dunno Ronnie, my BFF works wonders for me! o_O

9. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:
    The ugly friend thing can be a handicap.....Often you run into groups of chicks who are all pretty good looking. Then you have a problem

As I remember, I had a ton of success with a wing man who was slightly better looking than me, but a total asshole :rofl:

He'd lure them in and eventually insult them.....I scored a ton of tail hanging with that retard. Many times, out of my league

10. Limo Wreck

Limo Wreck Aboard the great mothership Staff Member

Reputations:
    There are two sides to this coin...

11. RONNIE THE CLAW

RONNIE THE CLAW Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Cool!

12. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    absolutely. her: blah, bah. me: nodding head, scheming to lick your bush

13. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    or
    if have a really rich friend, and u get the hot friends of the goldiggers

14. The Booey

The Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Dr Hannah Fry (pictured left) is no treat for the eyes herself.