Politics Hawaii Shuts Obamacare Exchange - $200 Million In Set-Up Costs Wasted

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Jun 6, 2015.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Hawaii abandons troubled state ObamaCare exchange

Hawaii is taking its troubled ObamaCare insurance exchange off life support, the governor’s office announced Friday, the latest addition to a growing number of state exchanges forced to close after operations became unsustainable.

The once-highly praised Hawaii Health Connector has been “unable to generate sufficient revenues to sustain operations,” Gov. David Ige’s office said in a statement. The federal Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMS) informed the exchange last week that federal funds were no longer available to support long-term operations.

“The state is working with the Connector and CMS to determine what functions can be transitioned to state oversight to ensure compliance with the Affordable Care Act (ACA) by the next Open Enrollment in November 2015,” Ige said.

Ige said that Hawaii will maintain a Supported State-based Marketplace in which the state would provide local customer support.

Grant funds had been restricted in March after the exchange told officials it was not in compliance with the Affordable Care Act, commonly known as ObamaCare, due to fiscal instability and tech issues.

The shutdown comes after federal taxpayers dropped more than $200 million into the exchange, which critics called a waste of taxpayer money.

"The $200 million was a complete waste of tax dollars that could have been used for much more productive efforts," Reg Baker, a well-known CPA in Hawaii who for many years was the chief financial officer for the health insurance plan, HMAA, told FoxNews.com last month.

While many of the state's Democrats praised the ObamaCare exchange when it launched in October 2013, it was riddled with trouble from the start. The web portal never worked properly despite the state spending $74 million on a contract with CGI to build and maintain it.

The exchange experienced tremendous staff turnover, with three executive directors appointed in two years. Enrollment reached just over 8,500 in the first year, and as a result, Hawaii was ranked the most costly exchange in the nation at more than $23,899 per person.

Enrollment never reached the 300,000 number then-Gov. Neil Abercrombie, a Democrat, enthusiastically predicted at the opening press conference launching the Connector. The enrollment number also never hit 70,000, the minimum needed to stay financially solvent. At its peak, enrollment reached 37,000, a fraction of the state's 1.4 million people. Hawaii's uninsured population, at 8 percent when the exchange opened, dropped just 2 percent.

“The state remains committed to offering health care coverage through the Prepaid Health Care Act as it has for the past 40 years,” Ige said Friday. “The state continues to provide millions of dollars to serve 300,000 Hawaii adults and children who receive health care coverage through Medicaid.”

Hawaii is not the only ObamaCare exchange to be plagued by troubles. Despite the government investing $4.5 billion into state-run exchanges, Oregon, Massachusetts, Maryland, Vermont, New Mexico and Nevada have also shut down their operations.

FoxNews.com's Malia Zimmerman contributed to this report.

2. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Probably all those extremist right wing tea bagging Republicans there running things that sabotaged it.

[​IMG]

3. JesusTwinsBiggestFan

JesusTwinsBiggestFan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I prefer The Onion for my joke news company

Dlist likes this.
  4. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Medical Ins will shy rocket next year.

Kilroy likes this.
  5. pickles3000

pickles3000 Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

scoobyla likes this.
  6. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    It is funny that there are people who think that if we take a product (health insurance) that is already expensive, add a gigantic new federal program, and the price will come down. :bounce:

Medicaid has expanded greatly though.o_O

7. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    Foxnews.com? Well, gosh, they have absolutely no axe to grind.

Here's what the ace reporting team at Fox forgot to add: Hawaii as a state has long been out of compliance with the federal mandates to not only receive federal ACA funds, but Medicaid funds as well. The problems are state- generated and in large part IT and personnel related. The Feds informed them of this well over a year ago. As such, the Feds are simply insisting that the state live up to its part of the bargain, which Hawaii is scrambling to do.

There certainly is a case to be made against ACA; I just dont think that Fox is the institution to do it.

But hey: Maybe after the Feds take over Texas during operation Jade Helm (also covered by the Fox luminaries), they can simply put all the sick people in concentration camps. :c

Psyche, scoobyla and Alisonsbankacct like this.
  8. kinneyjames

kinneyjames Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Billions in taxpayer money for a jobs program for CGI Group (NYSE: GIB)

This is the 'problem' with big government: contractors and lobbyists

Psyche and Scarlett Ohara like this.
  9. balloon knot

balloon knot Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  10. goldtopper

goldtopper Well Known Heterosexual Gold

Reputations:

Muthafucka.
    Mine went up $4000 the first year.

11. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i dont know about the policy(maybe its bad i duno), but its funny ppl pretending to be outraged by it

12. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Obamacare is turning out to be all hat and no cattle, as my Texan dad would say.

13. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Obammy should shit in his hat then pull it down over his ears

14. DinnerSocks

DinnerSocks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    My rates more than doubled, that's all I fucking care about. I'm voting Republican 4 life...

[​IMG]

15. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Why did Hawaii have Obama-care in the first place; I thought they had state-wide insurance there, anyway :dontknow:

1Vegasgirl likes this.
  16. scoobyla

Reputations:
    i think thats as silly as the ppl who only voted bam cause they were voting against 'the republicans'

if mitt won in 08, he woulda passed a similar bill and no one woulda called it romneycare and no one woulda said it sucked (cept some dems)

17. they're at it again

they're at it again Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Pointing out O'muslim failures is racist.

Barry Soetoro and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  18. DinnerSocks

DinnerSocks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He had something similar in Massachusetts but I don't remember hearing that was one of his platforms in 2012. From my understanding, he Romney campaigned, in part, against the coming "Obama-care". The libs all touted "...The American people voted for Obama care not once but twice..." after Obama care was passed in 2013. So, if BOTH candidates were going to pass similar Health Care bills, how is their a "choice" for the American people?

The whole thing is screwy, Obama care passes so then, immediately, I lose my plan and have to take one that's almost 3 times as expensive. How is that "affordable"? I'm going to eventually end up just paying the stupid annual tax because I won't be able to afford Health Care. At age 34, it's pretty much last on my list of priorities.

19. Jayla

Jayla Ou ai-je l'esprit? Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

People are so much fun.

20. scoobyla

Reputations:
    right, all Rs have to pretend to be against anything bam is for. even bills they wrote.
    (same as bam had to pretend to be against bush stuff to win, then he continued the majority of R policies)

that sucks. yeah i think thats the best move for u at this point. people should be allowed to opt out of it