Here is the best way to buy a car

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Lucky Pierre, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Lucky Pierre

Lucky Pierre Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    1) Research, read reviews, etc, narrow down your list.

2) Go to a dealership and test drive, find the car you want, the options you want, everything.

3) Then.... wait.... be patient... and go on AutoTrader.com, craigslist, etc. and buy the exact car you want, only used (but less than a year old) from a private seller. The car you want will show up eventually.

No tax.

Thousands upon thousands of dollars in savings.

No dealing with sales reps and their fake "let me talk to the manager" bullshit.

Example:

Used 2014 Ford Explorer Sport
    Mileage: 9,800

$34,500 (vs. the low to mid $40,000s which the guy paid 6 months eariler)

[​IMG]

smichal, MyLazyHand and reno like this.
  2. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    In the ghetto, the cheapest way to get a car is to car jack one. A tip for the brothers.

RenchFries, Mantis, markluke and 7 others like this.
  3. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    :bigcry:where were you in july? if only i had known this easy dependable way to buy a car. we could have saved at least $20,000??????

4. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Why is he selling a six month old car? Did you do a title check? Could have been in an accident. Might not be structurally sound. Could be "Hot". Mechanical problems. No warranty. Could cost you thousands more if it needs work. You roll the dice with a private sale. Most turn out just fine if you do your homework. If not, it's gonna cost you.

smichal, John Sterling and monsoon like this.
  5. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    Too bad that that state's DMV makes you pay the tax when you register it, including in some cases, county usage and luxury taxes too I believe.

... Not saying you can't make a deal with the owner to write a bill of sale for thousands less.. but there's no way to escape the sales tax surcharge.

I do have a friend who can buy most any car he wants for cash.. but for the fiscally responsible principle of it, he does buy 6-12 month old luxury cars (often repossessed) after letting someone else take the depreciation hit..

EndOfLine and Weed like this.
  6. jersery

jersery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Research, read reviews, etc, narrow down your list.

Same approach can be used for finding a hooker.

7. Dmaxxin

Dmaxxin Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :brotha: Blacked out window tints as well as vent shades?

8. Bentknee

Bentknee Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You can check carfax for accident history, or have a mechanic look at it, a good one should be able to tell if it had any major body work done. And if the car is only a year or two old, unless it has high mileage already, it will still be under warranty that covers mechanical problems.

9. Ganggreen87

Ganggreen87 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Dealers don't deal anymore, legitimate ones that is
    Owners will deal but they usually inflate the price to deal

The Internet wrecked dealing for a car at a dealership. I am in sales and buy a car almost every two years and it is fucking miserable these days. Dealers show you the last twenty sales on the Internet and prices etc and what you are buying relative and you have zero leverage

The only place you have leverage is a trade in, that's it

smichal and FosterKitten like this.
  10. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The example car is so cheap because it's Ford. It doesn't work so well with cars that hold their value well.

Went to buy a car with someone in '09. Looked at Toyota Corollas. Used ones a year or two old were only a thousand or two less than a brand new car.

So I used the Consumer Reports new car buying service and found out what the true dealer cost was (including unadvertised dealer incentives, holdbacks, etc) and offered them 3% above their cost for the privilege of selling a quick car with no haggling.

The deal went lightning fast until it ground to a halt in the financing office where they try to sell you window etching, undercoating and all the other bullshit. Took a couple hours to wade through all of that and get out of there.

check1, smichal, PI Nate and 2 others like this.
  11. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I just bought a 2010 Toyota Corolla to replace my aging rice rocket. I think I got a pretty good deal but there was a lot of back and forth. If I didn't like what they said, I'd say "let me go home and think about it." That got them moving in my direction.

Stag likes this.
  12. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...i buy mercedes benz cars from sellers who are scared to death about why it doesnt run, theyre my favorite. the last one i bought a 1992 300e needed a rotor adaptor. since it was broken the car had no spark and i knew i could fix it before i looked into it. $600.00 for a $52,000.00 car. i like to stick with the w124 chassis models but i know how to fix newer models with their usual transmission problems. i have 4 of these cars that ive picked up for pennies on the dollar. actually i pay more in tax than the taxable amount on what i pay for them, the dmv sees mercedes benz and hit you with a big dollar tax liability. i always bring in the lowest $ value from the internet like from edmunds.com. kelly bluebook and nada are always over the top on retail value/taxable amount. its kind of fun trying to sort thru the stress of which mercedes do i want to drive today. :dance:

Anyonenow and smichal like this.
  13. Fa Fa Fruit Fly

Fa Fa Fruit Fly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Not true at all, in my experience. I just bought a new car last night. Every dealer starts off giving you a ridiculous lowball on your trade, and discounting the car you are buying by $500. If you are smart, you have done your research and know what a "fair" price is ahead of time, and you have checked the discussion forums and seen what people are getting for deals. You figure out before you ever set food in a dealership what your absolute max price is - that if it's $1 higher you are walking out, and you STICK to that. You also figure out your "I really want it for $" price.

You make sure you aren't attached to any given car - then you go to the dealer and tell 'em what you want for your trade and what you want to pay for the new car. They keep going back "to talk to the manager" and keep adjusting the price down and down - and you just keep telling them your "I want to pay $X" price.

At some point they will tell you they can't do any more. So you tell them that's OK, to call you if they can hit your "I want to pay $X" price and the moment they do, you will sign the paperwork. If they let you walk, go to another dealer and do the same thing.

ALWAYS tell the dealer you are there to buy a car TODAY and you intend to buy TODAY either from them or from someone else, but you're doing it TODAY.

Car I bought last night.. brand new model for 2014, MSRP was $47k. I saw some people who had gotten deals on the same car for $41k with $2k down. I told them I want that deal. I was willing to pay $42k but that was my limit, but I told them $41k was the limit. They squealed like stuck pigs but eventually I got the car for $41.5k. $5,500 under MSRP and $2,500 under invoice on a Mercedes and I got Kelly Blue Book "very good" trade in value on my car.

Not bad.

14. Mr Pink

Reputations:
    Good stuff. Hey R. P., do you find that European cars start shitting the bed around 50k?

Also, dealer invoice is usually NOT dealer cost. That's where a service like Consumer Reports comes in handy. You walk in armed with the price they actually are paying for the car then you can negotiate up from there.

15. R.P. McMurphy

Reputations:
    ...hi mr pink. i dont see them as shitting the bed as much as what happens is certain plug and play items like oxygen sensors for the mb's have a life span of about 60k miles. proper fuses, ceramic/copper over plastic aluminium make a big difference. same with spark plugs, the cars i drive use non resistor spark plugs, dealer item unless you know someone in europe.

i stick pretty much with mb and sometimes bmw's and have studied/learned about common faults and how to fix them. there is a beautiful w124 series with m104 and m119 engines that were delivered with the insulation around the wiring to be self disintegrating. when the insulation goes the car runs like crap, wont go over 20mph and all sorts of electrical problems arise because of the wiring harness. the harness is ez to replace, the throttle body also needs replacing on those models due to the wiring but when thats done holy shit do you ever have a nice car. what happens is people get beat up from maintenance and want to get out of these cars that will easily go 350k or more.

i cant say how other european cars are, subarus are popular here but you couldnt give me one of them but to be fair the subaru guy isnt interested in a benz either. ive just had a life long love of these cars since before i was old enough to drive. back in the day sitting in the back seat of my dads chevy nomad when a mercedes benz went down the hiway, you noticed. german engineering is "off the roof!"

Anyonenow likes this.
  16. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Good advice. I have also found it best to not bring up your trade in, until you have the best price you want on the car you are buying.

Richards Dad likes this.
  17. Mr Pink

Reputations:
    I see. Reason I ask is because my girlfriend's 06 C280 and 04 Cayenne have needed several major repairs. Whenever I research them, it's always a chronic problem with that particular model. It's like a laundry list of: if it hasn't happened yet, it's gonna. Thousands in repairs.

There was actually a class action over the Benz cam shaft magnets (which wasn't approved by the judge) and for the Cayenne coolant pipes which was approved. Clearly a chronic problem if there's enough to file a class action. Still waiting for the latter one to finalize so she can get back $2200.

My 95 Toyota pickup with 188,000...nothing wrong except normal wear items

18. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Now I always check this place out first. http://www.carcomplaints.com

Now I'm looking into buying either a used Pilot or Highlander.

Leaning towards the Pilot, not in any hurry, no trade in, don't plan to haggle in the office, working with 2 different dealers. Any suggestions?

19. Joe

Joe Active Member

Reputations:
    I go to the dealer at the end of the model year and get almost one third off.

20. R.P. McMurphy

Reputations:

...you can go to benzworld.org and look up the forum for your girlfriends 06. there are benz techs posting there from all over the usa and the world and diy'rs sharing information. also try peachparts forums.

i know there have been certain recalls where people have things fixed by the dealer for free. i would stay away from the dealerships as much as possible and find an independent shop whos authorized to do warranty service. even if youre already out of warranty an independent will go right to the problem source and eliminate some of that laundry list. thats the service writers job to lead you down the path of more work so the techs stay busy. check the forums i mentioned because even if you do need someone with the tools or skills you may not have at least you will know what needs to be checked or repaired.

even when it comes to buying parts you need to know where to get the right stuff, again the dealer will rape you on parts but sometimes a part is so minute or specific it has to come from the dealer. theres a lot of shit after market parts people use, then the parts fail and the rumor that the car is shit is born. use nothing and i mean nothing made by URO. they have flooded the parts market for all makes and model cars with parts that are absolute shit! thats another beauty part of these forums is know what parts to buy. check out benzworld.org i bet you will find info on your specific issues that will bring new light on things.