Here we go again New England was using an illegally inflated ball on Sunday

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by chapped, Jan 20, 2015.

1. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This is fucking hilarious... didn't see it posted already
    I don't think that it would have effected the outcome of the game on Sunday but fuck
    if proven true it just adds to the cheating culture........

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/deflat...-culture-since-spygate-scandal-080638511.html

NFL spokesman Michael Signora confirmed to Yahoo Sports that the league "is looking into the matter." There are details still to come, to say the least, including an investigation that could very well clear the Patriots.
    “I think I’ve heard it all at this point,” quarterback Tom Brady said Monday morning, dismissing the concept on his weekly radio appearance on WEEI's "Dennis and Callahan Show." “That’s the last of my worries. I don’t even respond to stuff like this.”This much is undeniable: It was a wet night in Foxborough, with rain often coming down in a deluge. Deflating a football, even slightly, can aid the ability to grip the ball, an obvious advantage in passing, catching or accepting handoffs.

In the NFL, each team brings 12 Wilson footballs to the game and uses its own. As such, the Patriots' offense uses one set of footballs and those are taken off the field when possession shifts. The Colts then bring theirs into rotation. It is not uncommon for teams to try to alter, however slightly but within the acceptable limits between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds, the ball that is most agreeable to their quarterback.

So if New England was actually using an illegally inflated ball, it would only help their offense and not hurt the Colts' offense.

All game balls are to be checked by the referee, in the officials' locker room, two hours and 15 minutes prior to kickoff.

"The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications," Rule 2, Section 1 of the NFL Rule Book reads. "A pump is to be furnished by the home club, and the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game."

Each team can bring additional backup balls and a case of balls sent directly from the manufacturer is opened by the referee and marked for kicking only.

Even if the footballs used by the Patriots were checked and approved prior to the game, they could conceivably be doctored and deflated during the game. The home team is responsible for providing sideline attendants who supply the refs with balls as on-field action dictates.

2. BethOsItchyHem

BethOsItchyHem Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Don't both teams use the same ball?.

Edit I read the whole thing. Didn't realize they change balls with possession.

3. chapped

Reputations:
    yes i thought so too.. but i guess not, no way the league esanything 'wrong' and tarnish the super bowl

4. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    If they cheated, the win should be taken away.
    But the rules say it'll only be a fine

JustLurking likes this.
  5. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I was shocked to learn this year that they use "kicking balls" and switch to other balls for regular play. WTF?

It's conceivable they could arrange to subtley keep the deflated balls handy for their possessions then switch to the regular ones when the Colts had the ball. And to do it without any provable link to the organization.

icypussy and Gusbuss like this.
  6. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    In all honesty, lets say they did cheat. No way were the Colts even coming close to winning that game. They were just horrible in every aspect of their game. Luck was throwing INT's to wide open..... Patriots. The defense was lazy as anything. They just didn't show up. Redo the game with officially monitored balls and the Pats win.... 38-7. Brady is just dominant on a field. Just my opinion though. :dontknow:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  7. Turkeyneck

Turkeyneck Howard's got one, not me VIP

Reputations:
    "I was thinking about balls the other night Robin...Robin?"

reno, Mulletude and Dick Nipaolo like this.
  8. chapped

Reputations:

totally agree with you .. but funny how Bill always seems to think that he team needs that extra little something to pull off a win .. He is making the Pats look like the Barry Bonds of football.
    Barry holds all the records but no ones respect.
    You don't hear cheat when people talk about Joe Montana, or brett favre
    but it is now guaranteed with Bill's teams
    fair or not

Mulletude likes this.
  9. Rum Balls

Rum Balls VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    They should fill it with Helium and lengthen food ball fields by 300 yards

Dorb, Bearcat1, Mulletude and 3 others like this.
  10. chapped

Reputations:
    Source: Several abnormal balls were removed from Colts-Pats game

As the NFL looks into the question of whether the Patriots removed air from footballs used in Sunday’s AFC title game, one conclusion already has been reached. Per a league source, several balls were removed from play for being underinflated.

The inflation (or lack thereof) of footballs is checked before each game, and the balls are periodically tested during each game.

According to the source, it’s “not unheard of” for a ball to be removed from play for an abnormality noticed during the game.

In this case, given that “several” were abnormal, the questions become: (1) how did it happen?; and (2) was it deliberate?

The investigation is ongoing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rmal-balls-were-removed-from-colts-pats-game/

11. LaserT

Reputations:
    Can't argue there. After Spygate it's always going to be a thing now with Belichick.

ZevonFan and Mulletude like this.
  12. chapped

Reputations:
    Well since Bill isn't on twitter I asked his GF

13. LaserT

Reputations:
    Now THAT would be interesting. :snicker:

Missypooh RN likes this.
  14. 00steven

00steven Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    True, but Jesus christ why does Bilicheck feel the need to do this shit?!

15. chapped

Reputations:
    oh well.... i guess it's always about the scoreboard.... but rumors are now going around that if found guilty
    the Pats could lose draft picks..

16. LaserT

Reputations:
    The only thing he's ever been accused of by any means is spygate. A practice other teams have used for ages. Only till the 2000's did people start getting in trouble for it. Not sure that Belichick has been proven to have done anything else "cheating" wise besides that. Although I could be wrong. :dontknow:

But again after the big spygate media thing, Belichick will be under a microscope and any rumor will be looked in to.

Butters Stoch and Scott like this.
  17. chapped

Reputations:
    There is a reason that you never see Tom in a real commercials... which if you think about it
    here is a dude that the chicks think is good looking, he has rings and yet nothing...
    fucking Frankenstein Captain Choke peyton manning is selling Pizza, insurance, oreos, TVs... why?
    because even tho he has 2 less rings than Tom.. people know he is not a cheat

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  18. chapped

Reputations:
    yea but the NFL thought enough about that to fine Bill the largest fine in NFL history

19. LaserT

Reputations:
    True. But in my opinion it was to stop all teams from spying. They set a loud league wide example with Bill. Belichick was football's A-Rod. :snicker:

Mulletude likes this.
  20. LaserT

Reputations:
    Too funny. I just lost it. :haha:

Missypooh RN and chapped like this.