Hey Mechanics - Question

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by gwartney, Apr 11, 2015.

1. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    The oil change guy tried to get me to let him do a $130 fuel injection cleaner today. He said that my car is way overdue, like 40,000 miles. According to him, gas mileage suffers if you don't get it done. The only reason I considered it is because my wife and I had noticed that the car gas mileage has dropped. I barely trust those guys to change my oil so I'm sure as hell not going to let them do that.

It's a 6 cylinder ford Edge. I've seen kits where I can do it myself but, do I really need to do it? I've never had a car with injector problems and have never paid to have that done.

2. gwartney

Reputations:
    @Mack is my Ford buddy. I hope he sees this.

Gomez likes this.
  3. P-B

P-B Honourary Canuck Gold

Reputations:
    Injector Flush: Are They Taking You to Cleaners?
    Is the fuel-injection cleaning sold by many independent garages and dealerships a sound investment in your vehicle, or a marginally beneficial service pushed on consumers to fatten profits?

Fuel-injection service is part of a bigger trend in automotive maintenance that includes such procedures as flushes for crankcases, power-steering pumps and cooling systems, as well as for differentials and other lubricated parts.

How are you supposed to react when a service advisor tells you that your throttle body needs to be cleaned at a cost of $80? Or that your intake manifold is so dirty that it is causing performance loss and poor fuel economy?

Before you shell out a dollar on any of this stuff, it would be useful to know something about fluid changes and the cost of these exotic flushes.

If you read your owner's manual carefully-something most motorists never do-you will probably find no recommendation or even a mention of a power-steering flush or fuel-injection service or any of those other expensive cleanings.

Generally, auto makers are trying to design mechanical systems that require far less maintenance, not more. That has given rise to 100,000-mile tune-up intervals on many new models, elimination of transmission fluid changes and far less frequent oil changes.

So auto makers are telling owners they don't need to spend as much to take care of their cars and trucks. But some dealerships are saying almost the opposite: that you need more than ever to flush out dirty fluids frequently or run the risk of major repair bills.

It would be nice if auto makers said in huge letters in their owner's manuals: "Don't flush out the fluid in your power-steering pump because, if it were important, we would tell you ourselves."

Nobody wants to be a chump who pays for something unneeded, but sometimes a flush is a good idea. Power-steering pumps, for example, are incredibly expensive to replace, and clean fluid can help prevent a breakdown. On the other hand, lots of vehicles have power-steering pumps that can go 200,000 or 300,000 miles without any hassle.

Fuel-injection cleaning actually makes less sense than it did about 12 years ago, when the injection systems started to replace carburetors. At that time, poorly formulated gasoline and badly designed injector nozzles caused a lot of fouled and plugged injector tips. But that's far less the case today.

Unless you have a specific performance problem, your car or truck almost certainly does not need any of these services before 60,000 miles, if ever.

If you want to aggressively maintain your vehicle, you should change the oil every 3,000 miles and the transmission fluid perhaps every 35,000 miles. It also makes sense to change the antifreeze every year and the brake fluid every 60,000 miles.

Keeping accurate records of your vehicle's fuel economy, measured over three or four tankfuls of gasoline, can be helpful. Then if you suspect a problem, you can recheck it and see if your car's performance is actually degrading.

http://www.kbb.com/car-advice/articles/do-you-need-an-injector-flush/

artiesoffspring and keywordpk like this.
  4. Shart Garfunkel

Shart Garfunkel I brought the magic suitcase Gold

Reputations:
    Sounds like you need a complete engine rebuild. New manifold. Camshaft. Lifters. Head gaskets. Franastan rod replacement. Snodgrass valves. The whole shebang. :coffee:

x76, zhukov and babybear like this.
  5. P-B

Reputations:
    Cliff Notes: Check your maintenance schedule. Keep the tires inflated properly, check your air filter.

6. P-B

Reputations:
  7. gwartney

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Lemmy likes this.
  8. LonghornJ

LonghornJ VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Mack is busy pulling his pork

9. gwartney

Reputations:
    Guy didn't try to sell my an air filter. He went straight to the expensive stuff. I must have looked like a chump.

10. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    Turbo? Ecoboost? If yes I wouldn't do shit. If not chemtool b-12 in the gas is the shizzle. /thread

gwartney likes this.
  11. gilaet

gilaet Xanax Service Dog Staff Member

Reputations:
    Too much change in the center console.
    Remove all quarters and nickels and go back for another check up.

gwartney likes this.
  12. Mack

Mack Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It certainly won't hurt, but I doubt it's what's hurting your fuel economy.

gwartney likes this.
  13. gwartney

Reputations:
  14. gwartney

Reputations:
    Nope. Just a regularly aspirated 6. I use sea foam a few times a year. I'll take a look at the chemtool.

15. gwartney

Reputations:
    I think the AC is what is hurting the fuel economy. It runs 10 months a year.

Mack likes this.
  16. gwartney

Reputations:
    The dried out french fries don't weigh much.

gilaet likes this.
  17. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    Fuck seafoam. I used to love it but chemtool works way better. I had to do my lower intake gaskets and pulled my injectors at that time. Did some home experimenting and b-12 was the best by far.

gwartney likes this.
  18. gilaet

gilaet Xanax Service Dog Staff Member

Reputations:
    20 seconds wrapped in a damp paper towel in the microwave.
    Good as new.

kbrambo and gwartney like this.
  19. babybear

babybear r.i.p 8/3/15, Wherewolf of AZ VIP

Reputations:
    gas is cheap now.

20. zhukov

zhukov Time traveler Gold

Reputations:
    The response to any of these scams is "does the manufacturer require that service?"