Home theaters & 4K TVs

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by broccoli rob, Jul 16, 2015.

1. broccoli rob

broccoli rob thanks for the memories DW3

Reputations:
    I was in Magnolia yesterday & the custom home theaters are fantastic. Has anyone built a theater in their home? If not, have any of you went out and purchased a 4K TV yet?

I went yesterday to look around and ended up buying a 4K TV. The Samsung JS8500 SUHD TV, 55". I had a 60" plasma for about 10 years but this TV is just an incredible piece of technology. It has the nano-crystals (or quantum dots) that the top of the line UHD TVs have now. They say once 4K streaming is mainstream, the quantum dot TVs will improve in picture quality. They say its one of the best, up there with the OLED TVs.. I was watching The Wire last night and the upscaling is quite impressive.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/55-inch/best

[​IMG]

smichal likes this.
  2. yahoo

yahoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Here's the thing about televisions: You are so damn impressed with them at the store and then you take it home.

Within a week, it's a TV picture. Nothing more, nothing less.

3. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Can you imagine seeing Howard's puss on such a large crystal clear screen? Looks like he's leaving AGT just in time.

smichal and broccoli rob like this.
  4. buried20kleague

buried20kleague Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Yep, I've got Sony 4k's. The picture is incredible, but frankly I'm frustrated with the menus and stuff. But these were very highly reviewed, so maybe it's just me. :|

scoobyla and broccoli rob like this.
  5. Nick Mondo

Nick Mondo VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I'll wait a few years and they will be half the price they are now.

6. stash

stash 2017 Kimbra of All Media VIP

Reputations:
    sorry, what?

:jackoff:

7. buried20kleague

Reputations:
    For me, it was just about the fact that I couldn't bring myself to buy a lower level of technology when everyone knows 4k is coming. I didn't want to be that far behind the curve. It would bug me. Especially for sports.

8. broccoli rob

Reputations:
    Its not just you. The menus, firmware updates, and overall navigation of the TVs are very frustrating. The User Manual came with basics, not hardly scratching the surface of the features of this TV. Most come with at least a quad core processor, its like buying a new computer, really.

I get your point, but the 4K TVs are really quite a sight. I was actually less impressed at Best Buy than I am now that its home. Best Buy is so fucking big that the TV looks small, the picture was great but I couldn't really get close to it. It looks huge in my room and running 4K off of YouTube is really fucking awesome.

The downside, besides the pricing of these bad boys, is that the content is just not really there yet. I was able to get a year of Netflix 4K streaming but its not like you can watch your cable or satellite in 4K yet. But when you can, I believe the jump in quality is bigger than standard definition to high definition.

This TV came out at $3,000 (the 55 inch) and is already down to 2 grand. In another year, the 4K content will be widely available and the TVs will drop to a reasonable price. Definitely worth it to go get one then.

At an affordable price, the average consumer will want to upgrade to 4K when the content is available from their cable or satellite provider.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  9. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    its too early to switch to 4K. they're expensive, and the content isnt there yet. Better to watch them at the TV store.
    remember the 3D push? yeah, hows that going? :words:

10. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    I just bought a 60 inch plasma for $749. I did a ton of research because I have always had a plasma. The prevailing opinions were that if you are accustomed to plasma, ou won't be happy with 4k. They said OLED technology will be comparable, but the price is too much. I'm very happy with the plasma, especially since I paid $2800 for my first one and it was smaller

x76 and scoobyla like this.
  11. buried20kleague

Reputations:
    The biggest problem I'm having is the TV not playing nice with the HDMI switchers I've tried. Even so far as to flat out show an error on the screen and nothing else on the display. I've tried probably 4 of them so far. In my set up, I can't have 6 HDMI cables running to the TV... I can only have one, with a switcher with all my other equipment. TV no likey.

12. broccoli rob

Reputations:
    Apples to Oranges. Its better to compare 3D to the Curved TVs... Those are gimmicks. 4K is a jump in picture quality and actually as big as the one from Standard to High Definition. It would be more reasonable to say "remember the HD push? Hows that going..." and the answer is when is the last time you've seen a standard definition TV?

AllAboutHim Ed likes this.
  13. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    all my tv's are still box sets.

fuck the flatscreen, it is just a fad

AllAboutHim Ed and smichal like this.
  14. broccoli rob

Reputations:
    How many HDMI inputs do you have on the TV? The great thing about the Samsung is it has a device called the One Connect Mini Box.. It is a single plug that goes to the back of your TV and operates like an HDMI switcher, only there are no HDMI outlets in your TV. Only in this box. The box is easily replaceable and Samsung will allow you to upgrade it and add more inputs down the road, making it harder for your TV to ever become obsolete. The Connect Box that came with my TV has 4 HDMI inputs.

Did you go buy new HDMI cables? The HDMI 1.4 cables work well, but supposedly upgrading to the HDMI cables with 2.0 capability gives you better picture and sound. I found a two pack of them for $35 on Amazon from a well-rated brand, but they go up in price from there... You get killed if you buy HDMI cables from an electronics store, though.

15. vaporizer

vaporizer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm completely happy and thrilled with my 1080p TV from 2009. It works just fine and looks great.

x76 and smichal like this.
  16. broccoli rob

Reputations:
    My father has a 65" Panasonic 1080p from 2008 and he still loves it. However, he was the first to admit there is a big difference between 1080p and 2160p.

I would have never upgraded if I wasn't able to move the TVs I had. I sold a 10 year old Plasma on Craigslist for $500 and I also got a great deal on selling a 42" RCA LED TV. Basic TV, no extras in it.. Probably should have got under $200 because they retail for about $250. A jail bought it off me lol.. Dade County Correctional Institute must have seen the used TV in great condition and gave me $375 for it plus shipping.. I got lucky.

I had credit at the UPS store so I basically made 900 off the older TVs I had, so I was ready for an upgrade. I was hoping for a great deal on Prime Day but what a fucking scam that was. Publicity stunt, hardly any good deals at all. Prime Day can blow me.

vaporizer likes this.
  17. vaporizer

vaporizer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I heard Prime Day was a righteous scam. Fucking Amazon.

I'll upgrade the TV at some point I guess, but I need to really investigate these new 2160p models first. They kick ass?

broccoli rob likes this.
  18. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    It took me about 6 months of adjustments (there are hundreds) to get a perfect picture on my tv. Its not 4k but the picture is so good now that its like looking through a window at real people. Broadcast that is. I dont have cable which compresses the picture so its never as good as broadcast tv.

19. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:
  20. Dirty South

Dirty South Large Member

Reputations:
    Why don't you have a receiver? :wtf:

DinnerSocks likes this.