House of Cards - Good Show

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Kamie, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    We started watching it this weekend, and it is a "Netflix Production" in that it is only available in your Netflix Instant Queue. Ordinarily I would stay away from a political drama since there is so much of that real-life drama on television and in print every day. However, this is produced and directed by David Fincher (Se7en, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) and stars Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright so we figured we had to watch it. We watched 2 chapters out of the 13 this weekend and I was riveted (other than averting my eyes at the first scene). The acting and writing is superb. Kevin Spacey cheekily talking directly to the camera is a bit distracting and maybe a little cheesy, but that is my only complaint. It would give it 4.5 out of 5 potatoes. All 13 episodes are available to stream now.
    http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/Netflix-s-big-gamble-with-House-of-Cards-4247557.php

[​IMG]

2. psyllium husk

psyllium husk New Member

Reputations:
    i'm on episode 7 .. but damn i want this broad : [​IMG]

3. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    So what do you think? If you are on episode 7 I'll assume you don't hate the show. Kate Mara, above, is Rooney Mara's sister. She was the lead actress in Fincher's Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

4. gridlockd

gridlockd Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Netflix research told them people are into 'marathon watching' so they released the entire first season at once. Pretty cool u ask me.

5. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    Yup! That is what we did with Breaking Bad and Mad Men. They are also doing the same thing with Arrested Development. They are releasing that season all at once in May.

6. psyllium husk

psyllium husk New Member

Reputations:
    i'm enjoying the show . i'm not into political shows . but for some reason i wanted to check this one out .. Kevin Spacey is great ( as always) .. the dialogue it seems with all the actors are great.. i like the intense moments . I could say everything so far for anyone not watching this yet to check it out . .. but yes i'm on board with waiting for season 2 already . I still wanna watch "the Americans " I like the fact netflix gives you the whole season upfront .

7. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    Has Fincher committed to a season 2? That would be great. As for The Americans, you should watch it. We have watched 2 episodes and I have enjoyed it. The only thing I'll say is that I am still on the fence about the casting of the two leads. Keri Russell stills screams Felicity to me, and her husband's teeth are distracting. He must have Howard's dentist (see what I just did? I tied this thread to THSS). After only two episodes, though, I really can't make a judgement as the show is still evolving and getting its footing.

8. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
    i plan to watch this in dialysis. looks very interesting.

9. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    Excellent - let me know what you think.

10. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    thanks for the heads up will make sure to check it out on netflix.

11. Bunsen

Bunsen New Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Am enjoying it immensely and am drawn to Robin Wrights scenes. Am up to ep7 and she's despicable [​IMG]
    She could have blushed and allowed her terminally ill ex-bodyguard to die happily with his delusions but instead she brutally shattered every memory of her he'd ever cherished.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  12. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    Uh-oh - spoilers!!!

13. You Knew!

You Knew! Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i like the show, too. Breaking the fourth wall doesn't bother me. It worked for this guy:

[​IMG]

And this guy:

[​IMG]

14. gridlockd

Reputations:
    Hard to say, Kamie. Apparently I've made some 'powerful' enemies around here.

15. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    Tough crowd......

16. gilaet

gilaet Xanax Service Dog Staff Member

Reputations:
    Is it anything like Boss?

17. Bunsen

Bunsen New Member

Reputations:
    it's much nastier than Boss, there isn't a sympathetic character amongst them; if the camera pulls back too sharply you'd expect to catch them speed dialling their mistresses and drowning kittens in a tin bucket with their free hand. The joy of the show is watching these snakes build and betray, how and when will all their dark selfish schemes clash.

btw where is Jessica Hyde?

18. Kamie

Kamie Active Member

Reputations:
    So funny you should say that. My husband and I LOVED Boss, and we were saying that House of Cards doesn't portray characters as reprehensible as those on Boss, especially Kelsey Grammar's character (was it Tom Kane??). We are only 2 episodes into House of Cards, so it sounds like you are telling me that the nastiness gets ramped-up. Yay! I love that!!

19. gridlockd

Reputations:
    Yet, despite my abundance, I still can't really give a shit. Crybabies, all of 'em.