How bad does the HSS need a real "Professional" writer?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Box of Rox, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Box of Rox

Box of Rox Turgid member VIP

Reputations:
    Jackie's departure left left a void was left and never filled IMHO

2. Shvoogie Button

Shvoogie Button Member

Reputations:
    They should add 2 writers.

Here's why:

- motivate benjy, sal, richard (light a fire under their asses -- fear of losing their job will bring out the hard work and funny real quick)

- add new relationships/tensions

- add new voices/perspectives

- fresh ideas

- add hungry writers that want the show to be hilarious. they need the show to be hilarious again for their own resume.

- Jackie's gone and I don't think Fred or Howard write anymore.

bzzzzzzz

Tim Sabean, this is a problem created by man... so it can be solved by man. Tim Sabean is that man. Cookies are his weakness.

3. exarro

exarro New Member

Reputations:
    howard is never going to make an effort to improve the show. he's determined to run the show into the ground. just face it, its over.

4. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    I didn't quite believe that until I heard a recent, very bitter and unfunny short rant against Sirius (I think it was in the context of the latest money-wasting big live show, with Springsteen or something).

He sounded completely bitter and hateful, as if both of his feet were already out the door.

I'm not even sure he'll finish his current contract at this rate!

5. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    He's probably hoping to get shit-canned.

6. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard doesn't need another writer. What the show needs desperately is another voice, preferably someone with some testosterone.

The estrogen fest that the show has become is embarrassing.

7. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    When you are phoning it in and it's over you don't need a writer.

8. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    comedy is mean and hurtful and shouldn't be tolerated.

Rosie may be big-boned but making a joke about her being a tow truck driver is not fun or funny.

9. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    Yeah, at this point it's all over but the crying. Even if Howie "settles" with Sirius to his satisfaction, his burst of energy will be short lived. He's been completely emasculated by Beff, money and his new Hamptons buddies. He's completely bored with the medium that made his career and feels that he should be respected for and can rest on past accomplishments. A new writer or even bringing back Jackie can't reverse the slide.

As much as he's hyping AGT, it's no more than a summer fill-in show on the worst major network on TV; a poor man's American Idol.

Howie will probably leave Sirius soon. I'm sure he'll live a long time and will end up being a sort of Steve Allen figure: he'll show up on talk show and guest star on programs, but nobody will quite remember why he was "famous" 20 years from now.

10. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Whatever people make feel about Jackie, the show was at it's commercial peak during the last few years of his tenure. it was broadcast in more markets, had higher listenership and the most relevance in the late 90's. For whatever reason the show began a slow decline in markets and listenership during the Artie years, some of that was due to Howie's battles with Clear channel but there was more to it than that, there were no broadcasting changes at WXRK but yet his ratings declined and he lost the #1 spot in NYC twice during his last couple of years there.

11. Wonder Trash

Wonder Trash Active Member

Reputations:
    And obituary writer is needed. The Stern show is dead, embalmed, and in the casket.[​IMG]

12. skytzoboy

skytzoboy not a fuck to give

Reputations:
    There are no spare marbles available for anything related to funny.

13. Coconut Sid

Coconut Sid Member

Reputations:
    Howard has been a millionaire since the 80's. I really don't care about him bitching for more money. It's just so petty to sue the company that gave you the biggest payday of your life and saved your show when the FCC were trying to destroy your show.

14. Vanquish

Vanquish New Member

Reputations:
    What was very funny and definitely was an improvement to the show, was Jackie's contagious laugh. But well it was Jackie's own fault to leave. I still hope that pigs are going to fly and Jackie is invited in the Artie chair.

But OP why do you think Artie did not fill that void? Artie was hilarious too.

But to answer your question, the show obviously needs a writer, and Benjy should do something else. Benjy is smart, but he has no humor whatsoever and I kind of sympathize with Lisa's opinion on Elisa.

If Jackie comes back the show might actually take a stop on the spiral downwards. Maybe even climb back up.

15. Sickboy

Sickboy Latverian Monarch

Reputations:
    Artie has a better chance of coming back than Jackie.

16. Popeye Saavedra

Popeye Saavedra Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No amount of writers is ever gonna make Howard give a shit. Howard has no motivation to try anymore. He has tons of money and fame, he's pissed at Sirius, since it's satellite radio there are no ratings or direct competition. There is nothing to push him to be better at this point. Say what you will about Artie, but having him around did motivate Howard to try harder and be funnier. Howard cared what Artie thought and didn't want to look bad in front of him.

17. illini fan

illini fan New Member VIP

Reputations:
    What the show needs is for Bitch-Ho to find and give back the balls she cut off of Howard..Ever since Howie was castrated, the show has turned into a politically correct version of "The View" with the primary intention of improving the castrated one and his whore wife status in the celebrity community..As such, it won't matter what writer they hire as many topics and subjects will be off-limits...so sad..

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  18. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    A live, unscripted radio show shouldn't need writers. What the show needs are funny people. Funny people who are allowed to be funny would make all the difference. But that's never going to happen, so why even bring it up?

19. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    The Sirius Morning Zoo is going out with a whimper; don't hold your breath waiting for any show enhancements or upgrades between now and then!

20. Box of Rox

Box of Rox Turgid member VIP

Reputations:
    Jackie is a horrible stand up comic but a brilliant writer. I miss his hoots, cackles and yucks in the background.I miss the crumpled up papers he threw at Fred and Gary. He added tension which made for genuine drama on the show. I don't think he ever got the credit he desreved. He was the master of one liners and zingers that he fed to Howard. He represented the golden years when the HSS was at it's pinacle. A perfect fit!

Unfortunately Benjy represents on the job training. However this is a huge stage and he is woefully underqualified and it shows. It's amatuer hour with him. He can never fill Jackie's shoes.