How has Howard not figured out the ending of The Sopranos yet?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by TelegramSam, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    I've been listening to some old shows recently (I skipped about a year after the Artie suicide attempt) and I'm amazed that Howard couldn't figure out the Sopranos ending, and that no callers ever explained it to him. I checked marksfriggin, and all recent mentions of the show still include Howard bitching about not understanding the ending.

SPOILER ALERT:

Obviously, Tony was whacked by the man in the members only jacket. Here is a website that breaks it down: http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/

Someone really needs to call in and explain it to him, and if I ever call in to Artie's new show I need to bring it up to him, since he's in the same camp as Howard, who think Tony just kept on believin'.

2. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He is busy working unlest u think otherwise!

3. Ice Hole

Ice Hole Active Member

Reputations:
    Howard looooves not to know!

SillyOldMan likes this.
  4. mrd160

mrd160 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The only problem with this interpretation is that the creator of the series/writer of the episode disagrees...

"Breaking his silence months after the HBO mob drama ended its run, he is offering a belated explanation for that blackout at the restaurant. He strongly suggests that, no, Tony Soprano didn't get whacked moments later as he munched onion rings with his family at Holsten's. And mostly Chase wonders why so many viewers got so worked up over the series' non-finish."

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
    doucheBag likes this.
  5. Hateman

Hateman Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    David Chase copped out with that ending. After that haaaaarible 6th season too

SalsMasterShake likes this.
  6. Double Blizz

Double Blizz New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    He was obviously doodling at the time [​IMG]

7. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    The problem with that, though, is that Chase is quoted in the Sopranos book as agreeing with this guy's theory. Maybe he's floated different interpretations to confuse people, but I don't think so. The connection of the bells ringing, the color orange and the Godfather references, and the discussion of death with Bobby all hint at it pretty strongly. I'll see if I can't find that quote I'm talking about.

8. ohmicah

ohmicah Real Gad About Town

Reputations:
    Now I'm really confused.

I read somewhere the key to the final scene was Meadow making 3 attempts to park. That leads to the 2 black guys and the MOG who represent the 3 attempts on Tony's life.

The biggest clue was MOG being listed in the credits as Phil Leotardo's brother. Combine that with Silvio saying that you don't even hear the bullet coming and that leads to the conclusion that Phil Leotardo's brother wacked Tony.

Now Chase is saying that Tony wasn't even wacked? Jeez, my whole belief system is spinning.

9. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Ohmicah, read this:

Okay, here are the quotes I was talking about, straight from David Chase.

1. “If you look at the final episode really carefully, it’s all there.”*“If you look at the final episode really carefully, it’s all there” was published in the UK newspaper The Times on September 9, 2007 (from an interview of Chase by Stephen Armstrong)as the final episodes were set to air in the UK. The modified quote strongly suggests Tony’s death since there is essentially no reason to look at the final scene “really carefully” if Tony lived as he is clearly alive the last time we see him.
    2. These are quotes from the book: Question:Are they wasting their time? Is there a puzzle to be solved? [to the end]
    Chase: There are no esoteric clues in there. No Da Vinci Code. Everything that pertains to that episode was in that episode. And it was in the episode before that and the one before that and seasons before this one and so on. There had been indications of what the end is like. Remember when Jerry Torciano was killed? Silvio was not aware that the gun had been fired until after Jerry was on his way down to the floor. That’s the way things happen: It’s already going on by the time you even notice it.
    Question: Are you saying…?
    Chase: I’m not saying anything. I’m not trying to be coy. It’s just that I think that to explain it would diminish it.

“There was so much more to say than could have been conveyed by an image of Tony face down in a bowl of onion rings with a bullet in his head. Or, on the other side, taking over the New York mob. Theway I see it is that Tony Soprano had been people’s alter ego. They had gleefully watched him rob, kill, pillage, lie, and cheat. They had cheered him on. And then, all of a sudden, they wanted to see him punished for all that. They wanted “justice.” They wanted to see his brains splattered on the wall. I thought that was disgusting, frankly. But these people have always wanted blood. Maybe they would have been happy if Tony had killed twelve other people. Or twenty-five people. Or, who knows, if he had blown up Penn Station. The pathetic thing- to me- was how much they wanted his blood, after cheering him on for eight years”.

1. Here is what he told Richard Belzer on his defunct radio show: Richard Belzer: I was working with Steve Schirripa [Bacala] recently, we were judging “Last Coming Standing” for NBC and we were talking about a lot of things and he was saying he heard all of these theories for the show that had nothing to do with your intention and wasn’t anything the actors thought, like little hints along the way, like a word, like when Tony and Steve are on the boat at the lake and they say “‘you never know its gonna happen” or “you never know its gonna hit you”
    David Chase: That was part of the ending.
    Richard Belzer: Oh, it was? see, what do I know? Were there other things in previous episodes that were hints towards it?
    David Chase: There was that and there was a shooting in which Silvio was a witness, well he wasn’t a witness, he was eating dinner with a couple of hookers and with some other guy who got hit and there was some visual stuff that went on there which sort of amplified Tony’s remark to Bacala about you know “you don’t know its happened” or “you won’t know it happened when it hits you”. That’s about it.
    Richard Belzer: That’s what John Kennedy said.

1. Here is a quote Chase gave in Dec. 2012, which is only a month old: “Tony was dealing in mortality every day. He was dishing out life and death. And he was not happy. He was getting everything he wanted, that guy, but he wasn’t happy. All I wanted to do was present the idea of how short life is and how precious it is. The only way I felt I could do that was to rip it away.”

doucheBag and SillyOldMan like this.
  10. ClumpyStern

ClumpyStern HSS-clean since Dec 2011 VIP

Reputations:
    The fuck you expect from a guy who took 45+ years to figure out how to wipe his ass, who still doesn't understand that "good fats" and "bad fats" are equally bad in terms of body fat if not health, and who hasn't figured out that if his dick isn't too dirty to put in his wife's mouth it's probably not too dirty to touch with his own hands to take a piss?

Gusbuss likes this.
  11. ohmicah

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;JbDL4rI4zu8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbDL4rI4zu8[/video]

One of he most memorable lines ever.

12. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Pretty simple. Tony is dead if Chase never runs out of money and needs to revive the series. Tony is alive if he goes broke and needs to do another season or movie.

ClintDagger and bea miller like this.
  13. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    Wrong. There was no intended ending.

bea miller likes this.
  14. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    Members Only Guy, along with the rest, are red herrings. Although he may be the biggest one. All the points made in that link were legit, but the final answer was wrong.

15. blottomsup

blottomsup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    TS is dead.

16. JDDaBadAhz

JDDaBadAhz Active Member

Reputations:
    The viewer was the one to get whacked. Tony lives on and his comment about Howard is, "Heee's uhhh faaah-aaag!"

SillyOldMan likes this.
  17. ohmicah

Reputations:
    Then he can always say that HBO simply forgot to add- To Be Continued...

18. KillVampires

KillVampires Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    I work for HBO. I worked on The Sopranos. Almost everyone feels that the ending was meant to show Tony's paranoia. And that being the boss of a mafia family was not worth the stress as every moment you are looking over your shoulder at someone who might whack you. The other popular interpretation at HBO was that the black screen was a panic attack. The show is all about Tony's panic attacks and it starts out with him in therapy because he blacks out. That last black screen could be another panic attack. Odds are Tony is alive. The show was always about ambiguity. The Russian in the woods. Furio going away. The ending is pretty typical of the show.

19. UnElegant 1

UnElegant 1 Member

Reputations:
    Exactly. What's wrong with leaving something open to interpretation?
    Guess some people think the ducks in the pool in the first episode were just ducks.

doucheBag likes this.
  20. UnElegant 1

UnElegant 1 Member

Reputations:
    A lot of people just watched it as a mob show and missed so much subtext.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.