How influential is Howard, can he really make or break careers?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by psxpirate2k3, Mar 6, 2014.

1. psxpirate2k3

psxpirate2k3 Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Just how powerful is the he anyway?

2. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    AGT ratings say no.

3. Obi Drunkenobe

Obi Drunkenobe VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    No influence (maybe a little at Sirius x) . Except for Jackie I can't think of one career that he's broke.

4. AcquiringSignal

AcquiringSignal Girthy VIP

Reputations:
    Perhaps a little clandestine fuckery with haters on twitter at best.

5. queerface

queerface Un-engaged Dyke Gold

Reputations:
    No Clout. No effect.

6. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    He took an unfunny, unemployed Penn State dropout and gave him a career where he "works" 12 hours a week and takes his hot crazy girlfriend on vacation.

7. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Ask Beth about all her acting jobs.

8. PelicanWig

PelicanWig Beautiful Soup

Reputations:
    i was just torturing myself reading threads at SFN and 1 is about bringing comedians into the Artie chair. Djenkin8 said that Benjy is basically in that spot and is just like Jackie because Jackie wrote jokes and didn't talk to much just like Benjy does now :facepalm:

9. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He can get writers at FHM fired for not writing glowing pieces about Beth.

10. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    True.

11. Dreamking

Dreamking The dogs of doom are howlin' low...

Reputations:
    This is a great question.

I think another question which dovetails with this one is: "Does Stern have any talent in any area besides radio?" King of All Media is/was always bullshit.

Most of Howard's film/TV projects never got off the ground.

But I'm also thinking about the time that Howard set Eric the Midget up with a meeting with an ABC Vice President. Nothing ever came out of that meeting for a very simple reason; Eric the Midget is not an actor and does not have a pleasant/charming personality where an entertainment project could be built around him.

Additionally, and I say this with all sympathy; he is grotesque looking. His presence on a show like The Bachelor would be a sick joke.

But Stern thinks that that would be great entertainment.

Not to mention the incredible lack of judgement shown by putting a delusional Wack-Packer in front of a Network head. It's episodes like this that cause me to judge Stern's influence as minimal; if this is his idea of a professional entertainment transaction, people in Hollywood would not take him seriously.

But Howard himself answer the question of his influence in this argument with Hanzi who accuses Howard of manipulating careers. (time code: 10:15)

"I'm a pariah in show business. People in show business are sickened by me. They don't even want to let me into show business"

[video=youtube;VplbvSTK4I8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VplbvSTK4I8[/video]

12. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    Was that real though? I remember they gave the person's name and that wasn't the name of the ABC Vice President. It was some sort of low level guy on one of ABC's reality shows.

13. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Howard was going to destroy Ted Harbert after their issues when Harbert was with E:

"Robin, I ruined Harbert, no one wants to run a major TV network"

Edward W. "Ted" Harbert III (born June 15, 1955) is a veteran American broadcasting and television executive. He is currently the Chairman ofNBC Broadcasting, and was previously the President and CEO of the Comcast Entertainment Group, and Chairman of ABC Entertainment.[SUP][1][/SUP]

14. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Lisa G cashed in from the power of the Stern show by selling a few hundred books on Amazon.

15. Dreamking

Reputations:
    Networks have a LOT of VP's, and they're almost show-runners, but this guy was for real. Eric The Crab spent the better part of a day with the guy.

Eric blew off the first meeting he had scheduled with the VP. He wanted to watch American Idol instead.

This is who Howard puts in front of a Network VP.

16. guruhugz

guruhugz Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    lots of fresh smelling balls in the world all thanks to the power of the wigged fraud

17. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Of course Howard is a celebrity maker. Think of all the major stars that Howard has launched their careers. There is..... ummmm....... And then there is...... And let's not forget..... What do you do for a living?

18. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Billy West is the only one from the show with any major success, maybe Stuttering John. Billy's success has little to do with Howard.

And I can't think of one celebrity who Howard feuded with whose career suffered because Howard was constantly giving them crap. Rosie might have hated about being attacked by fans, but she had her best success during the time of her feud with Howard.

I think that is part of the reason why many stars are willing to bury the hatchet with him. They are totally unaware when Howard is actually feuding with them.

19. Dreamking

Reputations:
    Actually, AGT ratings don't really matter.

The fact that Howard found employment on that bargin-basement Gong Show speaks volumes about his power in show business.

Yeah, he's getting a good check every week he's on there, but it's a complete humiliation. Plus if you factor in the "personality" he's created for the show (douchey hand-gestures, facial expressions, dancing) you realize how desperate he is and see why no one in Hollywood will pay attention to him.

20. zerokarma

zerokarma Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Billy West was very talented and would have had success with or without Howard, in fact if he had stayed with Howard his career would have probably been a lot worse.