How long before the Van Halen 2012 Tour goes off the rails?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Keyser Soze, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Michael Anthony has too be asking himself the same question.

My guess is that Eddie will go off the deep end again by the second week in March.

WHenever it happens, it will be a sad ending to arguable the best band ever.

2. Butcher

Butcher ?

Reputations:
    Hopefully not till after the D.C. show I have tickets for in late March :nooo:

3. Carter Burke

Carter Burke New Member

Reputations:
    Better question. How long after it goes off the rails with Roth does Eddie attempt another with Sammy Hagar?

4. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    Lead singers of VH tribute bands are prepping their voices, just in case.

5. Carter Burke

Carter Burke New Member

Reputations:
    Somewhere in the world Gary Cherone sits by the phone, waiting...

6. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I don't think Eddie has it in him to admit he fucked up by kicking out Michael Anthony.

Sammy wouldn't do the 2004 reunion without him so I don't think Eddie would even try it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  7. BearShit

BearShit BearShit + Tom Hardy = BFF

Reputations:
    8 days in

8. Howard Stork

Howard Stork "Big Nosed and Jewish"

Reputations:
    Yesterday.

9. squigglyline

squigglyline Double Secret Probation Gold

Reputations:
    I got tix to the 2nd show of the tour in Detroit. Hope they can make it through the 1st show... :hat:

10. Tmmy Sirianni

Tmmy Sirianni Active Member

Reputations:
    Anyone got a link to that old (ca. Fair Warning) interview where Ed was bashing Mike?

I can't remember where I read/heard it, but Ed said something to the effect of Mike being "useless", and he (EVH) secretly re-recorded some of Mike's bass parts.

11. Tmmy Sirianni

Tmmy Sirianni Active Member

Reputations:
    I found it. It was from the May 2006 issue of Guitar One. I dunno how I got it in my head that EVH said he re-recorded the bass parts, but this is what he had to say in 1982. Granted, the interviewer seems to be baiting him into bashing Mike:

Steven Rosen: How would you rate David Lee Roth's vocals on Fair Warning?

EVH: The truth is, I don't think he sang as good as I played. He took off for two weeks after the tour, and again it was like "Wadda ya got, Eddie?" Like I said, I had basic ideas for pretty much everthing that's on the record. I worked my ass off on that one. But I love it, it's my life. Whereas Dave, well...I won't rag too much on Dave; he pulls his own weight. Mike [Anthony] doesn't. He doesn't do anything; he has no input whatsoever. But he has remodeled his whole house and bought himself a [Porsche] Turbo Carrera with the money he's made off of us. Whatever.

SR: When I'm listening to Fair Warning, there are times when the only instrument I can hear coming out one side of the speaker is a rhythm guitar, or maybe drums. The bass is almost nonexistent.

EVH: Right, it's guitar, and nothing on the other side. Why don't I play you some of the stuff for the album that I did at home? And you'll be able to hear, right there, that it's just a bass straight into my goddamn TEAC four-track -- and it still sounds better [than what's on the album].

SR: The guitar parts on the album are so structured that it must make it infinitely more difficult to perform them without the support of the bass.

EVH: It doesn't make it harder to play because -- and I'll tell you the honest-to-God truth -- since day one I never liked Mike's sound, and I could never hear him. I can never even hear him when we're playing. In fact, live, all I have in my monitors is Al, a little bit of Dave's vocals, a little bit of mine, a little bit of Mike's - and all I hear is myself and my brother. It's the same in the studio.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012